Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's been #1 on my list since Gruden was fired.  Both AP and Alex Smith know him well.  Hopefully, Smith is whispering in Snyder's ear about Bienemy and AP is too.  I'd remove Allen, keep Kyle Smith as our GM and let Schaffer continue to be our salary cap guru.  

17 minutes ago, RWJ said:

He's been #1 on my list since Gruden was fired.  Both AP and Alex Smith know him well.  Hopefully, Smith is whispering in Snyder's ear about Bienemy and AP is too.  I'd remove Allen, keep Kyle Smith as our GM and let Schaffer continue to be our salary cap guru.  

I haven't dived into Bieniemy yet but I like his pedigree. 

7 hours ago, TommyWilson said:

If it's Callahan I'm constructing a Dan Snyder voodoo doll 

If you need specifications let me know.

5 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

A gazillion dollars and Comet Ping Pong?

And he could get paid for most of a decade by just telling them that We're CLOSE!

13 hours ago, Wyndorf25 said:

It's been quiet on the Mike Tomlin front. Would the Redskins have to actually trade for him?

The Skins would have to drug the ownership of the Steelers and then kidnap Tomlin for him to come here.  Not completely out of the realm of reality I suppose.

11 hours ago, RWJ said:

I like this plan. Smith clearly seems to be positioning himself for a non player future. Wonder if its coach or GM.

9 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

If you need specifications let me know.

And he could get paid for most of a decade by just telling them that We're CLOSE!

Yeah, hit me with em.  I think I might go ahead with Operation Voodoo Doll anyway just to try and make him as miserable as he makes us 

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I like this plan. Smith clearly seems to be positioning himself for a non player future. Wonder if its coach or GM.

Call me a cynic, but why am I starting to get the creeping feeling that Alex Smith will be the next guy who is shown the door and slandered with innuendo on his way out? If Alex is cozying up to Snyder for the GM job, it will be like waving a red flag at a Bull to Bruce, who won power struggles with Shanahan, McCloughan, and Lafemina.

Only way Bruce goes is if he's fired or retires, but my money is that he stays, Alex Smith is gone, and we get the same thing next year...a lousy team.

16 hours ago, mistertim said:

If he decides to go the HC route he's likely to have multiple suitors. Why the hell would he come here?

Because you have a chance of taking a team and going from dud to stud. A lot different than taking an alright team and making them marginally better. I believe competitors welcome a challenge and rise up to it, and that is what we have here in Washington, a huge challenge. 

12 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Call me a cynic, but why am I starting to get the creeping feeling that Alex Smith will be the next guy who is shown the door and slandered with innuendo on his way out? If Alex is cozying up to Snyder for the GM job, it will be like waving a red flag at a Bull to Bruce, who won power struggles with Shanahan, McCloughan, and Lafemina.

Only way Bruce goes is if he's fired or retires, but my money is that he stays, Alex Smith is gone, and we get the same thing next year...a lousy team.

I think you meant to say Kyle Smith

If Allen is still here next year, which is probably going to happen, then it will be Callahan or O'Connell.  Anybody in house that he can control.  If he's not, then Snyder has turn over the keys to someone who will probably want a lot of say.  Who knows right now at this point

6 minutes ago, superozman said:

Anyone else in the Ron Rivera camp?

I mentioned it in another thread, he would be in my 'acceptable' category.  I don't know if i'd be celebrating the hire, but i absolutely would not hate it at all.  He's not my top choice, but i'm not face planting if it happens either. 

7 minutes ago, superozman said:

Anyone else in the Ron Rivera camp?

I do not want him here as anything except maybe DC. Need to look elsewhere for HC. He underachieved in Carolina never understanding what he had and what their offensive identity should be. 

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

I do not want him here as anything except maybe DC. Need to look elsewhere for HC. He underachieved in Carolina never understanding what he had and what their offensive identity should be. 

I think we have more of what he'd like. A more traditional north south offense defense. Battle wills not trickery.

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The Panthers Tepper is already going to start the interview process.  He's going to do a wide search, but he's going interview who's available now.  Getting a head start.

We should be doing the same.  Yeah, alot of what's available is retreads but we need to start the process. 

I don't want Allen to start the process.  Snyder needs to hire, or promote, someone else to GM.  The GM then should hire his own guy as coach - someone who shares the same philosophy of building a team.  I'm tired of Allen picking the assistant coaches for the HC or Snyder signing free agents that don't fit the scheme.  If the new HC is a scheme coach then the player acquisition group must focus only on the appropriate players.  No more of the "here's a really good player that can do so many things" and then he's put in a position the minimizes his unique talents because the team doesn't have the ability for all other players on defense to adjust.

Every fan would like to have truly flexible HC, OC and DC for the Skins.  I don't think that's likely to happen.  There's enough on the defense for a quality DC to work with.  Offense is another matter.  The GM has to build around Haskins' strengths if he's convinced that Haskins has a good chance to become a starting QB.  IMO a north south offense (noted by Koolblue13) is probably a better fit for Haskins than the WCO.  

58 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

I don't want Allen to start the process.  Snyder needs to hire, or promote, someone else to GM.  The GM then should hire his own guy as coach - someone who shares the same philosophy of building a team.  I'm tired of Allen picking the assistant coaches for the HC or Snyder signing free agents that don't fit the scheme.  If the new HC is a scheme coach then the player acquisition group must focus only on the appropriate players.  No more of the "here's a really good player that can do so many things" and then he's put in a position the minimizes his unique talents because the team doesn't have the ability for all other players on defense to adjust.

Every fan would like to have truly flexible HC, OC and DC for the Skins.  I don't think that's likely to happen.  There's enough on the defense for a quality DC to work with.  Offense is another matter.  The GM has to build around Haskins' strengths if he's convinced that Haskins has a good chance to become a starting QB.  IMO a north south offense (noted by Koolblue13) is probably a better fit for Haskins than the WCO.  

this this and more this please. 

Although I would say the offense appears to have a bit of a brighter future than we've seen some units in the past.  Progression being needed at specific spots, and a few key additions, and we could have something. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Fair points, but I'd argue the offensive identity item.  He wasn't shy about letting someone go on that side of the ball if it wasn't working, and they've had a running identity with strong players on the running side.  I think he understood what the strength was and hired people (IE - Turner who loves him a workhorse RB) to put them in a position to win.

I don't know much about Roman's leadership skills.  I got to dive into it.  But we've been reading about Roman been an inventive guy since 2012.

I am into the whole leadership thing.  I don't see Callahan as that guy.  Leadership is about more than just discipline.   Listening to those who cover the team, Callahan is unlikely going to be the guy.  I guess a win though in GB (which I don't think will happen) might put Callahan though in the running and supposedly Bruce, too.  But I don't think that's going to happen.  but if it does then I think Callahan-Bruce is on the table. 

2 minutes ago, superozman said:

Fair points, but I'd argue the offensive identity item.  He wasn't shy about letting someone go on that side of the ball if it wasn't working, and they've had a running identity with strong players on the running side.  I think he understood what the strength was and hired people (IE - Turner who loves him a workhorse RB) to put them in a position to win.

I think they were a running team because he had no idea how to get a passing game going . Also, he blamed players when many times it was poor scheme I lived in Carolina for about 10 yrs until about 2 yrs ago and got to see way more of them than i wanted to.  

They have just been so inconsistent and with good talent. He did finally commit to the running game with Fournette - although they for years have not really addressed the Oline properly. Mostly band-aids. They did draft a pair of tackles this year. Little was a good prospect but has had some injury issues starting only 3 gms playing in only 4. They have had to start 6th rd pick Daley. 

As for Norv, he tried to bring in a guy with a more explosive offensive philosophy - Norv likes to use the run to set up the pass when the Panthers personnel are more suited for the opposite - but does not have the personnel to run that offense effectively. 

I also see it as another splash hire from Dan - a lot of noise but nothing there once the waves clear. I would wish him the best if they did hire him but I wold not be optimistic at all. 

Article I just found about Roman

Roman is known for his expertise in formulating next-level run-game strategy. He understands how to gain numbers advantages and how to leverage defenses. The Ravens have totaled 2,494 rushing yards this season, the most by a team through its first 12 games since O.J. Simpson and the 1975 Bills.

What hasn't been as recognized is the way Roman builds up his players. Amid the zingers, he routinely offers words of encouragement, and no one on the Ravens has ever heard him yell.

"For me, I almost see him as a dad figure," fullback Patrick Ricard said. "He doesn’t get mad at you. He’s a disappointed dad. He’s going to get on you. He wants the most out of you. And when you mess up, he’s just like, ‘Come on, man.’"

The unpredictability and versatility factors are perhaps Roman's biggest strengths.

The Ravens can spread defenses out and line up Jackson in an empty backfield. They can also go "medieval" with five offensive linemen, three tight ends and a fullback.

...The difficulty isn't just trying to tackle Jackson and Ingram. It's trying to find the ball.

Baltimore runs the sprint option, the run-pass option, the triple option with pitch. There's misdirection with jet sweeps and the "Heisman package." That's not even including the fact no team uses more pre-snap motion than the Ravens.

With all that, defenses have had problems trying to figure out the Ravens' offense. The Ravens scored 37 points on the New England Patriots despite Bill Belichick having a bye week to prepare for them. Baltimore put up 45 points on the Rams and limited two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald to one tackle.

“What he’s (Roman) done such a great job of, is he’s adjusted the scheme to fit the personnel and to maximize guys’ opportunities to make plays and do what they do best,” Rams coach McVay said. “That’s a sign of a great coach.”

Another sign of a great coach is Baltimore's preparation and efficiency. The Ravens lead the NFL in scoring a touchdown on 37% of their drives and reaching the end zone on 58% of their opening drives.

"He's been about business," Jackson said. "We want to come smack the defenses in the mouth; that's what he's been telling us. Not just certain teams, but he's been saying that all year. That's what he wanted to do. He wanted to be aggressive this year. He's been showing it, and I love it right now ...”

One of the bigger offseason questions is whether the Ravens will be able to keep it going. If teams continue to seek out innovative, offensive playcallers, Roman should be a hot name in head coaching searches.

"Honestly, I’ve been through this thing before," said Roman, who was a head coaching candidate after helping take the 49ers to the Super Bowl in 2012. "The best thing to do is keep blinders and do your job the best you can. Somebody once said to me, ‘Do a great job with the job you got and don’t worry about anything else, no matter what. Do the best job you can do every day and love the job you got’ -- which I do."

...Taking risks and thinking outside the box have been staples of Roman’s offenses. After his one year at Holy Spirit, Roman produced as many creative wrinkles as points in his offenses at Stanford, the San Francisco 49ers and the Buffalo Bills, the team the Ravens face Sunday (1 p.m. ET, CBS).

Roman has also built a reputation as the mobile-quarterback whisperer, designing attacks that put Colin Kaepernick in the Super Bowl and Tyrod Taylor in the Pro Bowl. He has worked that same magic with Jackson, constructing an offense that accentuates his unique talents instead of forcing him into a prototypical NFL system.

In Roman’s first season as Ravens offensive coordinator, Baltimore is averaging an NFL-best 33.8 points and is on pace to score the eighth-most points in NFL history (541).

"Greg Roman has inserted himself into the conversation of one of the great playcallers in the NFL,” said Dan Orlovsky, a former NFL quarterback who is now an ESPN analyst. "I love Sean McVay, I love Kyle Shanahan, I love Gary Kubiak and I love Matt LaFleur. A lot those guys are calling things that are somewhat similar. But the Ravens are doing something that is incredibly unique."

https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/51434/greg-romans-wise-cracking-rise-from-high-school-coach-to-ravens-offensive-guru

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't know much about Roman's leadership skills.  I got to dive into it.  But we've been reading about Roman been an inventive guy since 2012.

I am into the whole leadership thing.  I don't see Callahan as that guy.  Leadership is about more than just discipline.  

This is interesting because if I look at out coaches since Gibbs, I'd say that leadership has been lacking

- Petitbone (yeah but not given a chance)

- Norv (offensive guru, not a leader)

- Shottenhimer (leader)

- Spurrier (offensive guru, not a leader)

- Gibbs (leader)

- Zorn (blah, not a leader)

- Shahahan (leader)

- Gruden (offensive guru, not a leader)

So it'd be interesting if Roman is a leader. If I get time I may look into him in particular. but how do you measure a leader? Is it if people call them a leader? I thought Gruden was a leader when we hired him because of his playing days and the stuff he did in arena football as a QB. He was a legend there and could really rally his teams. But how did that translate? Was it more of him just getting tuned out as time passed? Did he ignore defense? 

As far as assistants go I'm more in the camp of a Robert Selah or Eric Bieniemy, but I wonder if there's anything behing defensive guys being better leaders? I think in general you have three units on defense (DL, LB, Secondary) and you have to get those units to work in cohesion. Many offensive coordinators are just guys who came up with a gimmic and set the league on fire. But that doesn't explain the lack of success of either side. I think that like most QBs, most coaches will fail so its probably a good bet to just bet against any coach and hope that your bet loses here. 

Roman should, and probably will, stay right where he is. The grass ain't always greener..........

As for us, won't make a hill of beans difference who our next coach is if the current team president is still in the building. Snyder could take a lesson from the Panthers' owner and start handing out pink slips right now. It would give us a head start on hiring credible leadership for the FO --- a REAL Team President, and a real VP/GM; no more of this nostalgia nonsense with Doug, who isn't performing a single, genuine NFL executive role whatsoever.

Archived