Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

2 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Another defensive coach of note is Mel Tucker out at colorado. He's doin things there. But he's the HC there, in his 1st year. Just like with G. Collins there is very little likeihood those guys would see an offer from the Washington football team as even competitive to their current positions. 

Imagine that, the Colorado HC job being more comforting and enticing than the HC job in DC, in the NFL.  Ha.  

Well Ganja is legal there...

12 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Well, it was Gregg who first started the change of culture in Cleveland, but I'd rather have him as DC. Does he have flaws? Sure, but his players [ defense ] played physical and hustled, and offenses that played against him felt it the next day.

But HC, I have no idea who I'd pick. I would want a strategist-type of coach who can really utilize a player's strength to his advantage.

The most important thing of all, I'd want a coach who has the balls to tell Snyder the way it is, no sugar coating or patronizing.

I think that is Gregg though. He didn't get the job last time because he wasn't willing to follow along with Dan in the interview process. Again, I don't think any coach utilized their talent here as well as Gregg did. When you think about the D from back then, he was able to make guys like Shawn Springs, Marcus Washington, Cornelius Griffin and Joe Salave'a play better here than they did anywhere else.

Another thing to consider. I believe if Dan were to hire Gregg, that is a hire that would get the fanbase excited. After all, he was the #2 guy in what was the best stretch in Snyder's tenure. Except for the third season, Gregg's defense was elite

20 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Well, it was Gregg who first started the change of culture in Cleveland, but I'd rather have him as DC. Does he have flaws? Sure, but his players [ defense ] played physical and hustled, and offenses that played against him felt it the next day.

But HC, I have no idea who I'd pick. I would want a strategist-type of coach who can really utilize a player's strength to his advantage.

The most important thing of all, I'd want a coach who has the balls to tell Snyder the way it is, no sugar coating or patronizing.

Well, yeah, I’d easily take him over Greg Manusky!

Kellen Moore.  Next Sean McVay.    Might need two years in Dallas.  So probably ain't gonna be available for us.

If Dallas gets to Super Bowl.   He will get interviews.  Long way to go though.

Get an Andy Reid disciple.   They seem to do well.

2 minutes ago, Newera said:

Kellen Moore.  Next Sean McVay.    Might need two years in Dallas.  So probably ain't gonna be available for us.

If Dallas gets to Super Bowl.   He will get interviews.  Long way to go though.

Get a Andy Reid disciple.   They seem to do well.

Can Mods ban this guy. I don't want to see Dallas and Super bowl in the same sentence. 😉

16 hours ago, skins island connection said:

I don't believe, honestly, that hiring a new head coach or coaches is the answer.

Until the root of the problem is removed, there will always be bits and pieces, here and there, which will be absolute head scratchers or flat-out bad hires, who would inevitably undermine any coach who comes here. Bruce feels it is his burden and choice to insert 'X' whenever and where ever he thinks it should go, and whoever the people are, will side with him over a coach in a situation; call it selective job security.  It would create an " us vs them " inside the organization, and that will never ever ever EVER work.

The absolute #1 priority, job 1, is to remove the feeding tube of failure known as Bruce Allen. He should be the main and only focus at this point. It is and has been Bruce since he first stepped into the doors of Redskin Park. No one else should be wasted time on, at least for now. Replacing Gruden and/or Manusky will never solve the problem as long as Bruce Allen is still with this organization. He needs to be removed, fired, and given a court-ordered declaration that he cannot be within 500 yds of the team, organization or faculty.

There IS no other viable choice. Bruce Allen must be fired. Anything less is peeing in the wind...

While we all agree Bruce needs to go, only one man will decide that.  As far we know, Dan isn't getting rid of Bruce.

While I don't like losing, maybe 12 or more losses this year; will finally convince Dan that Bruce needs to go also.

Or maybe if Dan is the one hiring the new coach, the new coach says they will only come with Bruce gone.

I am not delusional about a new coach.  A new coach under Snyder will go through the usual pattern.  4-5 year tenure.  Rough first year as team adjusts to new coach.

Then a playoff berth or two, before if all falls apart at end. A double digit losing season the final year and the coach being fired.  That will be the endless cycle under Dan Snyder.

The time for Gruden to go is now.  Enough of his mediocre ****.   It's time for the next cycle, that we know will end 4-5 years.  That will not change unless Dan does the radical and I seriously doubt he will hire a real GM and let that GM have control.   Bruce goes, he will be replaced with another sycophant puppet.

If you expect the Skins to become a consistent winning franchise, you are going to have to outlive Dan Snyder. 

O'Connell is too raw to be HC yet, but if they are as high on him as they seem then then go with a defensive guy who is happy to work with O'Connell having free reign over offence.

Gregg Williams options as HC are limited after getting passed over for the Browns so would he accept this scenario? 

Add Rex Ryan to the list too?

I know a lot of people don't like Jim Harbaugh, as he comes off as a little weird and doesn't seem to stay in one place too long. However, I believe he is a better NFL coach than he is a college coach and there is no denying how good he was in his 4 seasons as the SF head coach. In his four seasons from 2011-2014, he went 13-3, 11-4-1, 12-4 and 8-8. Those seasons include three straight trips to the NFC Championship game and a SB appearance after his second season in 2012. Things went off the tracks in his final season there with issues between him and the front office, but he still went .500 in his worst season. Those SF teams were not teams that were super loaded with talent either. 

He inherited a team that the previous coach, Mike Singletary, could not win with and immediately won with them. The guy nearly won the SB with Kaepernik as his QB. I understand how a lot of fans don't want a retread, but you can make the argument that our 3 best HC's under Snyder's ownership have been retreads- Schottenheimer, Gibbs & Shanahan. Belichick is a retread, so are Andy Reid and Pete Carroll. I have no problem hiring a coach that is proven in the NFL and Harbaugh is that with a 44-19-1 record. For me, I want nothing to do with the high profile college hire with no NFL experience, as we've seen that movie before in Spurrier with us, Saban in Miami, Pettrino in Atlanta and Chip Kelly in Philly & SF. If Harbaugh becomes available, I say pull the trigger on him and hire him. 

If it were me I would suggest getting a small committee together of football guys who were successful coaches, who are no longer coaches in the league, but who know the game, with the caveat that Dan has to put in place their recommendations.  Who would be on the committee:  Joe Gibbs, Tony Dungy, and Bill Cowher.   

These are guys Danny probably respects.

Hopefully they would suggest the following:

1.   Danny leaves the building and is not involved in any football operations except to show up on Sundays and whenever the team is scheduled to play and support the team, as a fan.  It is the closest you can get to a sale.  It would be made clear that Dan cannot under any circumstances make suggestions or manipulate player acquisitions in any way going forward.

Bruce Allen must be relieved of his duties immediately.

Hire a GM that they recommend who will work with a HC that the GM would hire, who has a similar vision for the team. The  HC would then pick his coordinators and position coaches.   

The HC would oversee the whole team.  Not be the OC or DC.  Their job in part is also coaching the coaches.  Overseeing and getting the full picture to make adjustments as needed.

The GM would hire the scouts, set the draft board with input from the HC because the HC has to coach the guys coming in.  Has to be good character guys that buy in to a new way.  There has to be cohesiveness between the front office and the HC.  The GM sets the tone.

The HC would also get three or four players who they perceive as leaders to be motivators, examples of hard work, and really buy into "changing the way" things are done around Redskin's park

They would suggest a complete overall of staff and facilities to gain the faith in players coming in by firing the existing medical staff, replacing them, and then the coach and GM would work with the medical director to install a whole new process for conditioning, that reflects what winning teams do around the league.  Upgrade equipment and facility as needed, instill a really top notch nutrition program, etc.

Next keep pursuing a new stadium with all the bells and whistles meanwhile I would do my best to upgrade the field itself.

I am sure I have missed stuff but this would be my recommendation to Dan and hopefully what a committee might suggest.

Honestly...

It REALLY doesn't matter. I understand the point of the thread. And I get it's fun to look at this stuff and can't fault anyone who does.

But it doesn't matter at all who is hired until the base of the pyramid is fixed.

People tend to think of the org. as a pyramid with the top being the front office/executive level... But that's the base. Players/coaches are more towards the top. A crack in the top and you can still succeed. A crack in the structure brings the whole pyramid down. 

Our pyramid is falling.

10 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I like the idea of going after someone OC like in KC. Or maybe someone like Mike Tomlin. I think Mike is a good coach, but his time with the Steelers will be coming to a end soon I believe. 

Have the Steelers ever fired a coach since the merger?

Archived