Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

samy316

I still follow the Skins closely. I know all their draft picks and FA signings. What has been removed from my life is passion for the results. I simply don't give a **** whether they win or lose. That's been the case for several years now. 

What's new this year is utter disinterest in the games themselves. I haven't watched more than half of a game all year. I watched *one series* of Haskins yesterday before turning it off. Think about that. Rookie 1st round QB making his first appearance for the Skins. And I was only mildly more interested in watching him than I was with Keenum. Because Haskins was doomed to be a bust the second the Skins drafted him. He simply had no chance coming into this failure of an organization. 

I've tried to find a second team...  one to potentially fully replace the Skins in my life. Tried the Vikings (pre-Cousins), Rams with McVay, couldn't get particularly interested in either. So if I'm not interested in what other teams are doing, I'm not interested in the Skins, I quit playing fantasy football years ago... what I'm left with is that I just don't care about football anymore. I used to be diehard and passionate. Snyder hasn't just burnt me out on the Skins, he's burnt me out on the entire sport. At this rate I feel like I'm literally 1-2 seasons away from watching a single NFL game every year: the Super Bowl. 

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

No. It's not. If these guys are out there and only being motivated by the people in the crowd, then there are much deeper issues than the fans. I will agree that our fan base is toxic, but disagree that it plays any role in the team's performance. 

In short, if you have the right foundation, coaches, and players it really shouldn't matter one bit. The fans annoy the crap out of me, but I can't pin any part of the team's struggles on that. None. 

Not to mention, these guys have pooped the bed in front of packed houses before as well.

There is no doubt in my mind that they dislike playing away games at home, but it's a terrible look to keep pointing the finger, particularly when you stink in your own right. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

...the 2005 Redskins were probably the most solid team we had. If Brunell didn't fade, we might have had something...

Agreed. That team, once they got going, had all the elements to have a good run for a couple of years if it weren't for the QB petering out and having to revert to a rookie who didn't last long. If the Skins had a vet QB who wasn't being held together by paper clips and duct tape, and had they not hired Al Saunders and undo all the progress they had made, there's no telling what that team could've done the following 2-3 years. Like maybe Trent Green. Oh, forgot the Skins screwed that up.

2 minutes ago, SlinginSammy HOF '63 said:

Agreed. That team, once they got going, had all the elements to have a good run for a couple of years if it weren't for the QB petering out and having to revert to a rookie who didn't last long. If the Skins had a vet QB who wasn't being held together by paper clips and duct tape, and had they not hired Al Saunders and undo all the progress they had made, there's no telling what that team could've done the following 2-3 years. Like maybe Trent Green. Oh, forgot the Skins screwed that up.

Exactly...if somehow they were getting Brunell's November output from Ramsey's body, then they could have kept that group together for a couple years. They also likely would have advanced to the NFC Championship Game in 2005 and played in Charlotte, NC vs. the Panthers. 

2 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Every week our stadium looks like a away game. In December when we are 3-9 or 4-8 understandable, Week 2 verse the Cowboys ?! Shame on everyone in the local area. Go ahead and roast me ITS THE TRUTH 

So we’re all in on player empowerment now but that means no fan empowerment to boo or not show up?? **** that lol 

1 minute ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Every week our stadium looks like a away game. In December when we are 3-9 or 4-8 understandable, Week 2 verse the Cowboys ?! Shame on everyone in the local area. Go ahead and roast me ITS THE TRUTH 

I won't roast you...

You can criticize the fans for not showing up. I don't fully agree because the product itself has been bad for nearly 2 generations now. I'm almost 43 and wasn't driving yet the last time there was a team worth watching in person. From that time until now, the stadium is a bottom-three venue, it's in a sterile, suburban location, and the team has been an afterthought for nearly 3 decades. 

But, whether your gripe about the fans is legit or not, it has nothing to do with the fact that the team sucks and controls its own destiny when it comes to winning back the fan base. If they won something consistently, fans would turn out. 

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I won't roast you...

You can criticize the fans for not showing up. I don't fully agree because the product itself has been bad for nearly 2 generations now. I'm almost 43 and wasn't driving yet the last time there was a team worth watching in person. From that time until now, the stadium is a bottom-three venue, it's in a sterile, suburban location, and the team has been an afterthought for nearly 3 decades. 

But, whether your gripe about the fans is legit or not, it has nothing to do with the fact that the team sucks and controls its own destiny when it comes to winning back the fan base. If they won something consistently, fans would turn out. 

I agree 100% but I'll tell you what i just told JB, as a fanbase we quit on this team in week 2 verse our most hated rival, you think that didn't sting for the players, seeing a sea of Blue in the stands ?

16 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I still follow the Skins closely. I know all their draft picks and FA signings. What has been removed from my life is passion for the results. I simply don't give a **** whether they win or lose. That's been the case for several years now. 

What's new this year is utter disinterest in the games themselves. I haven't watched more than half of a game all year. I watched *one series* of Haskins yesterday before turning it off. Think about that. Rookie 1st round QB making his first appearance for the Skins. And I was only mildly more interested in watching him than I was with Keenum. Because Haskins was doomed to be a bust the second the Skins drafted him. He simply had no chance coming into this failure of an organization. 

I've tried to find a second team...  one to potentially fully replace the Skins in my life. Tried the Vikings (pre-Cousins), Rams with McVay, couldn't get particularly interested in either. So if I'm not interested in what other teams are doing, I'm not interested in the Skins, I quit playing fantasy football years ago... what I'm left with is that I just don't care about football anymore. I used to be diehard and passionate. Snyder hasn't just burnt me out on the Skins, he's burnt me out on the entire sport. At this rate I feel like I'm literally 1-2 seasons away from watching a single NFL game every year: the Super Bowl. 

I won't be able to claim a new team as long as the Redskins are in still around in the DC area.  Now, if they were ever to relocate (which I think the chance of that is as close to zero as it could be - in my lifetime), I'd have no problem rolling with another team and calling them my own. 

I tried that experiment once (claiming the home team Bobcats/Hornets in basketball), due to my late uncle trying to convince me to pull for them and the Panthers.  After he passed away, it was just something I thought I'd give a shot.  It always felt forced and never felt right as I grew up a Bulls fan and still pulled for the Bulls, watched all their games as I could, still pulled for them against the Hornets.

I can root for the home team when they aren't playing my teams.  That's about it.  But I don't care if others move on to other teams.  As my best friend, who was a die hard Bills fan and season ticket holder for years told me a few years ago, that he was done with Buffalo and was entering fan free agency.  He started pulling for the Packers (he is from WI) and is a season ticket holder for the Browns (made a killing selling his tickets this year - like double what he paid).  Again, I couldn't do that, but I get where he's coming from.

Just now, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Week 2 verse the Cowboys ? cmon

Why go? Most of us knew exactly how that game would go. There were some "die-hards" who thought we could win. But, 80% of the fan base knew that we would eventually break down and lose. And...we....were....right. Again. 

To me it's no different than loving a TV show but finally tuning out when season 4 or 5 or 6 sucks. We are watching this team for entertainment. This isn't a family member who needs us or an old friend going through a though time. This was always an escape or distraction from those types of things. For me, this was a 3-hour oasis of enjoyment in the midst of a chaotic schedule or crazy school year. But when you don't get joy out of the experience, you aren't obligated to show up for it. 

I never attended games regularly. I went to maybe 1 game per season until recently and now I don't bother. I would religiously make sure I was watching each Sunday though. I still tune in, but even yesterday I was less engaged. Hell, I missed Haskins first drive because I decided to take my daughter to an open house down the street. The thought of wandering through a neighbor's home to see what they did with their basement during a Redskins game????!!! I NEVER in 1,000,000 years would have thought that would be even  a remote possibility. But I did it yesterday without even a thought. 

So, no, I don't blame anyone for not spending 6-10 hours of their Sunday to go to games. The experience sucks. The team disappoints. What's in it for the fans? 

4 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I agree 100% but I'll tell you what i just told JB, as a fanbase we quit on this team in week 2 verse our most hated rival, you think that didn't sting for the players, seeing a sea of Blue in the stands ?

If that's how you want to interpret it, fine. But again, this isn't that type of relationship. This isn't a marriage. We are customers, not family. This isn't a husband forgetting an anniversary. This is a customer base that has spent nearly 3 decades being disappointed by a product or service. The fact that this conversation is just hitting its apex after that long is a testament to our loyalty in and of itself. 

Imagine if the game vs the Bills was in RALJON instead of Orchard Park. All the WNY transplants in the DMV, it would literally be home game for Buffalo

Back in 2007, before the Caps turned things around in this form of the team, I remember being at the game vs the Sabres, last Caps home game of the year. Sabres win that game and they clinch the Presidents Trophy. The Phone Booth was sold out and there were maybe a dozen Caps fans in attendance... in DC.

13 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

At this rate I feel like I'm literally 1-2 seasons away from watching a single NFL game every year: the Super Bowl. 

I think I’m at the beginning of what you described.  

I think im going to end my tradition of making it to one away game a year and paying for the Sunday ticket.   

I think hockey might become my “favorite” sport.  My son plays college hockey and it might be better for my health.  

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

If that's how you want to interpret it, fine. But again, this isn't that type of relationship. This isn't a marriage. We are customers, not family. This isn't a husband forgetting an anniversary. This is a customer base that has spent nearly 3 decades being disappointed by a product or service. The fact that this conversation is just hitting its apex after that long is a testament to our loyalty in and of itself. 

Well that's where you and me differ. I'm not a "customer" I'm a fan. And although  I don't consider the Redskins my family they are a big part of my life and always will be, I will support them through thick & thin. 

Well that's where you and me differ. I'm not a "customer" I'm a fan. And although  I don't consider the Redskins my family they are a big part of my life and always will be, I will support them through thick & thin. 

I support them too. And I'm still here, as a grown man, posting about them on their message board. If this isn't the "thin" of thick & thin, I don't know what is. 

But that doesn't mean I think it's anyone's obligation to continue to attend games and consume a ****ty product. Fan, customer, interested party, whatever you classify us as...it's still a choice to attend, not an obligation. 

21 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

All due respect but get the **** out of here with this garbage.

This organization is a laughing stock that treats fans like crap on the side. I am PROUD of everybody who is showing Snyder and Allen we're done with this BS.

Just now, Sticksboi05 said:

All due respect but get the **** out of here with this garbage.

This organization is a laughing stock that treats fans like crap on the side. I am PROUD of everybody who is showing Snyder and Allen we're done with this BS.

Yeah you are sure showing Snyder by selling your season tickets to Cowboy fans, really showing him good 😂

19 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Mate, I'm being serious when I say you could personally offer to pay me $300, via PayPal, to show up at FedEx Field and I would decline.

I've turned down free tickets the past few years because the cost in time (8 hours of my life destroyed, knowing I have a finite amount left on this earth) and extras (experience of filthy, crumbling stadium, walking for an hour from the Metro station, $12 beer etc) are not worth it.

Yeah you are sure showing Snyder by selling your season tickets to Cowboy fans, really showing him good 😂

Not every action by the fan base needs to be lesson to the owner. There's very little leverage that we have. The entire fan base could stop spending every nickel today and he'd still make plenty of money due to revenue sharing. So, if an individual fan makes a personal decision to recoup money, who are we to judge? 

Snyder might benefit every so slightly from that one transaction...and it might impact his bottom line by 0.001% but the embarrassment of seeing his ****-box stadium filled with opposing fans each week probably bothers him more. 

6 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

If you think that doesn't bother him, with all of his pride you are crazy. Fans have almost no leverage in a revenue-sharing league like the NFL. Making him show up to see a road game 16 games a week absolutely has to irk him.

Also not everybody is rich, who are you to say what people should do with their tickets when the on-field product is a joke?

Just now, Sticksboi05 said:

If you think that doesn't bother him, with all of his pride you are crazy. Fans have almost no leverage in a revenue-sharing league like the NFL. Making him show up to see a road game 16 games a week absolutely has to irk him.

Also not everybody is rich, who are you to say what people should do with their tickets when the on-field product is a joke?

You are correct that it's not fair to say what people should do with these expensive ass tickets, but I dont believe this whole sea of blue thing bothers him as much as we need it to.  Remember, Bruce is convinced they are close, these cats or in a level of denial typically only pride can cause

8 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Oh....like anyone has season tickets any longer...…..

Here's the real problem going forward. There are probably fewer than 30,000 season ticket holders. And those people CAN'T sell their tickets any longer to anyone except out of town fans, and those people can just buy from the ticket office. If your a Skins' fan, you just get free tickets from someone now.

Since I was 7 years old, I've always believe that only suckers pay for tickets. I have always tried to only go to games when it was free. I'm actually somewhat frustrated to no longer be living in the area, because I'm pretty sure I could be seeing three games a year now.

Archived