Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

I no longer live in the DC area but I remember my mood on Monday mornings when we won under the first Joe Gibbs era.  Now I think about tomorrow morning

and all the fans waking up and going to work who have followed this team for several years and knowing how they will be in a bad mood when they get to work and there is nothing their work friends can say to them to make them feel better about the team itself.  Do not read the sports section online tomorrow and do not listen to the sports talk radio shows in DC tomorrow.  It will not help improve your bad mood.  See you will be more upset than some of the players on the team who have already thrown in the towel on this season.

Edited by veteranskinsfan
fix line spacing
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I no longer live in the DC area but I remember my mood on Monday mornings when we won under the first Joe Gibbs era.  Now I think about tomorrow morning

and all the fans waking up and going to work who have followed this team for several years and knowing how they will be in a bad mood when they get to work and there is nothing their work friends can say to them to make them feel better about the team itself.  Do not read the sports section online tomorrow and do not listen to the sports talk radio shows in DC tomorrow.  It will not help improve your bad mood.  See you will be more upset than some of the players on the team who have already thrown in the towel on this season.

See, I used to feel like that.  Not even that long ago.  But they are so damn bad now that it doesn’t even put me in a bad mood.  

• Like 5
52 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

See, I used to feel like that.  Not even that long ago.  But they are so damn bad now that it doesn’t even put me in a bad mood.  

Agree. I am not mad. Hell I still wear whatever Redskins gear I have left & nobody says a thing to me 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Agree. I am not mad. Hell I still wear whatever Redskins gear I have left & nobody says a thing to me 

I barely ever wear that nonsense anymore. I’m doing Withards and Nats gear to rep DC nowadays. I’ll diversify into Mystics stuff next. Skins are dead to me.

• Thanks 1

I remember when I had such passion about this team. I still watch games and cheer, heck I'm probably going to try to go to a few games too. But its just not the same. Honestly I see the threads ad I'll read them when I'm bored but its so expected and accepted that this is what will happen that even my trying to be positive seems hollow. So I'm forced to accept things as they are and still choose to be a fan. 

I remember in the days of Vinny I made certain vows like to not spend money on the Skins merchandise until whatever it was I wanted was done. But so much of what I wanted (then) was done to some degree - hiring young assistant coaches, focusing on the draft, hiring a GM, not meddling, etc. And while I can make more demands I feel its so hollow, especially when I have no control. 

But really things changed outside of this team that made me reevaluate where my fandom is/was. Like, I'm now married and with kids. And I have a bunch of in-laws who are Ravens fans. But when my mother in law buys me a Redskins jersey or some paraphernalia, did that go against my policy? What about my kids? Was I allowed to buy my son a RG3 jersey? or a redskins onesie? To some extent I don't care about that either because I'm not a big merchandise person either but I would love to sit and watch games with my son and go to games with him as well. Heck my dad and I went to Nats games when they sucked (for whatever reason). We went to Bullets / Wizards games. So why did I draw such a line in the sand against the Skins? 

I'm not going to lie. Losing sucks. But at the end of the day I'm just a lot better at reminding myself that this is just a game. It used to be that a Skins win would make the office a lot more happy place on Monday morning. But in this new environment I've got to find new ways to make the office happy. So if there's something positive to talk about with the Skins, I'll go there. Otherwise I'll catch up on Frazier or Cheers or Night Court or whatever Marvel Movie I've missed or whatever comic book was made into an animated movie (Batman vs Robin was really good). Honestly there's so much content produced in just the last 25 years that its hard to run out of stuff to read and watch. So I just find myself turning to these avenues more when we're losing. 

But even with a clearer mind (after watching Captain Marvel today), I just feel like we're in the middle of a book. We know things will be turned around one day. The question now is how long is the book. We're past the realm of a short stort or novella. And probably past those little elementary school books. We're into a fill on novel, probably getting into the realm of a mini-series. Like there's the Post Gibbs I & Pre Dan era, Dan & Marty era, Dan & Spurrier era, Dan & Gibbs & Brunell, Dan & Gibbs & Campbell, Dan & Zorn, (Dan & Fassell), Dan & Shanny, and now Dan & Gruden.

Eventually this series will end with run of successful seasons. There are questions like who is / will be the hero, who else will emerge as villains, is the strategy something we've been discussing here or something that we're totally unaware of right now, what will that success be (a SB? a series of playoff seasons, playoff wins, just not being a crap franchise), etc. And these things will write themselves out as time plays out.

But having these other things to occupy my time and keep me from getting too down, I feel comfortable just letting this all play out and not getting too down just because things aren't going our way right now (or the past 28 years).

So lets keep hope alive.

Maybe not today but one day.

May the odds be ever in our favor.

Through every dark night comes a bright day after that.

<Insert inspirational quote here>

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My reasons for sticking through this used to be 30+ years of fandom from the other side of the pond, where at times it was difficult to keep up with what was going on with the team other than knowing the results on a Monday morning, coupled with the Redskins being one of the few things my Dad and I had in common.

Last season I was away when Smith got injured and resorted to watching other games soon after. I enjoy football and it's nice to see it played properly. Following last season and the absence of any positive action off field, I was pretty much done. Just tired of putting myself through it every Sunday and even though I enjoy watching good games played by quality teams, the emotion just isn't there, the experience is not the same.

I was strongly considering not renewing gamepass this season. However, in July my father passed away. I was sufficiently distracted that I took no action with gamepass and when the season came around, it was only fitting for me to watch the Redskins play. It took all of two weeks to decide it wasn't worth it. Yes, I keep an eye on the team and will watch any game they manage to win this season, but only after the event. I care too much not to. Still can't make my mind up over what to do next season, but that will probably be influenced by what goes down in the front office and over the off-season. Jay's a goner for sure, but that's not the root of the problem.

We all have our own way of dealing with this and we're entitled to it. Anybody that's stuck through all or most of the last 27 years has without doubt earned the right to a sabbatical if they so please. Likewise those who stick through it week in, week out have my respect for their loyalty and resilience. For us fans to stick together, we should respect each other's choice whatever it may be and hope that one day in the not too distant future, we can see a turnaround in fortunes.

Edited by my_friend_goo
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, skinsfan1523 said:

The one thing they seem to care about is all the Redskins fans not showing up to cheer them on, Josh Norman loves talking about it.

He always follows it up with a loss, though.  They got creamed today.

Is anyone seeing tickets to the Pats game for less then $150 not including fees?  He wants us to pay $200 to watch them get massacred in person, and calling us out if we dont?

Talking about we need to show up to a game this year, i have, has he shown up to one yet?

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

I get either empathy or apathy, typically apathy now.  People are getting tired of poking at a dead body these days its not like high school, way less random trash talk or borderline bully attempting.  Is it cause we're adults now? I feel like i have to look for my tormentors thes days, i got more trash talk out of nowhere living in hampton roads

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I

But having these other things to occupy my time and keep me from getting too down, I feel comfortable just letting this all play out and not getting too down just because things aren't going our way right now (or the past 28 years).

So lets keep hope alive.

Maybe not today but one day.

May the odds be ever in our favor.

Through every dark night comes a bright day after that.

We've battled about the FO over the years, sometimes it got feisty -- but you've done it with class and respectfully.   And it was clear you just want a better organization and want to believe in it.

On the other hand, I've been much more cynical and critical about the FO.  And the reason why I want to point that out is -- is with all my cynicism on that front, I am one of the least cynical people on the point that nothing will ever change.  And it's not that I believe that things will just work itself out.   For me its the nature of my job where I've actually seen people-organizations change if and when pressured the right way.  And yeah often it needs to be after years of resisting it.    Over time, if the TV ratings continue to sink.  People don't show up to games.  They get flooded with calls, tweets, they get bad media on and on -- I do think the odds are good it will eventually wear Dan down.   What Dan does in that case -- I don't know but I am genuinely optimistic that Dan will eventually get his fan base is bleeding and he's losing them.  

Obviously, its a ridiculous comparison since one thing is dead serious and important and the other is just football -- but yeah if you follow the story of the American Revolution it took awhile to wear the British down in Boston.  it wasn't just one thing, one time, and done. 😀  It was a pile of stuff over time.  Plenty of other examples like that.  Even though this is just sports and not serious at all -- the same concepts apply.   With Dan as crazy as it sounds I don't think gets that he's at rock bottom.  Multiple people who cover this team (even Keim) doesn't think Dan thinks this team has issues with fans checking out and they will come back as soon as they have one of their 9-7 squeeze into the playoffs type years. 

You'd figure that Dan has hit bottom plenty of times but I don't think in his mind he's hit bottom even once -- because I gather he always thinks its purely about losing.  And as soon as he makes the next nostalgia driven hire and or they win a few games everyone is coming back.  Sadly I think the script does have to play out more.  Yeah I do think it gets uglier and uglier.  In this case, I do think 2 things oddly haven't happened yet but need to.  1 of those 2 things is starting to happen.  That is, Dan is becoming a national joke as this franchise is.  Now that point has been present for a long time.  But the angle on it has changed and is much more powerful IMO. 

The intensity has really ratcheted up.  My wife comes to me over the weekend, hey USA Today has Dan on the front cover of their sports section, want to read it?  We are getting more national coverage of not just Dan is a problem but that his fan base is checking out.   The old articles about Dan from what I recall talked about him being a bad owner but not that its soo bad that fans are leaving in droves.   And I think that's an important distinction. 

The 2nd thing that needs to happen is Dan needs to understand the obvious.  He has a problem and that problem isn't fleeting or fickle.   And I know we've duked it out some on Bruce.  But from what I've read-heard from people who cover the team, Bruce is very instrumental in keeping Dan in this delusion that all is OK.    Dan is sort of like the fat dude who tells himself his health is OK until he has a heart attack.  The heart attack hasn't happened yet.    Obviously I don't mean it literally but Dan has to his rock bottom on his own terms whatever they are.  And at least according to Keim and others that oddly hasn't happened, yet.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, SprintBomb said:

Maybe the league will step in due to how poorly run this team is. With the history the Redskins have and being in such a large market, the league stepping in is a possibility. It's happened before with other teams like the Giants in the 70s. 

I think the most they would do would be to "recommend" a GM.  Unfortunately that won't prevent Snyder from interfering and undermining them, likely he always does.  

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

He always follows it up with a loss, though.  They got creamed today.

Is anyone seeing tickets to the Pats game for less then $150 not including fees?  He wants us to pay $200 to watch them get massacred in person, and calling us out if we dont?

Talking about we need to show up to a game this year, i have, has he shown up to one yet?

That's the demand.  My old boss called me asking if I still had tickets and eas tailgating.  He said the cheapest seat he could find was $200 ... (if it were the Jets, I could see $20 tickets)

Eventually you have to give up. Imagine being with a woman who's a crackhead and a cheater for 20 years. You''ve stuck it out, you've supported them, been with them through thick and thin for 20 years thinking someday they'd change because they'd have moments where it looks like they're turning the corner but they revert back to their old ways. Eventually you have to realize that you wasted a couple of decades of your life and need to move on.

Let's be real. As long as Dan owns this team there will most likely never be a Lombardi there. There might be a small chance simply because the team might catch lightning in a bottle and have all the right elements going for them in one season but I highly doubt it. I doubt Snyder ever sells the team so if you plan on staying loyal you're likely looking at another 30+ years of this mess. This team's high water mark for wins since 1992 was 10 and that's only happened three times (1999, 2005, 2012). I'm not sure any other franchise has waited that long to reach at least 11-5. Don't feel like digging but I bet everyone else besides the Skins have.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side, but the grass is DC is dead and the soil is compacted and covered in weeds.

10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Is anyone seeing tickets to the Pats game for less then $150 not including fees? 

That is going to be a home game for the Pats. It will be interesting to see how much of the stadium they take over.

Edited by SlinginSammy HOF '63
13 minutes ago, SlinginSammy HOF '63 said:

This team's high water mark for wins since 1992 was 10 and that's only happened three times (1999, 2005, 2012). I'm not sure any other franchise has waited that long to reach at least 11-5. Don't feel like digging but I bet everyone else besides the Skins have.

OK, I did it anyway. NOBODY else in the NFL has a longer 11 win drought than the skins. The Browns come close at 1994, but the Skins last 11+ win season was 1991.

Edited by SlinginSammy HOF '63

I think as a true fan you have absolutely every right to hold the team you root for accountable and if you feel that their business practices are shady or have wildly incompetent ownership you can leave and not be called a fair weather fan.  Blind loyalty is dumb.  

If you have any morals how can you give your money to Dan Snyder knowing his shady dealings?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, skinsfan1523 said:

The one thing they seem to care about is all the Redskins fans not showing up to cheer them on, Josh Norman loves talking about it.

Well, I won't disagree with Norman on that one,  Although Norman needs to step up his own game before criticizing anyone else including fans. With that said How do we expect the players not to quit on coaches when the fans quit on them in Week 2, Real talk here

Our fanbase is as toxic as the culture of this team, it all leads back to Snyder but we are. Go ahead and click the confused face icon or roast me, its the truth

Edited by JoeJacobyHOForRIOT
2 minutes ago, SlinginSammy HOF '63 said:

OK, I did it anyway. NOBODY else in the NFL has a longer 11 win drought than the skins

I noticed the three 10-win seasons and each of them comes with a pretty big caveat too...

1999: Our 10th win came in essentially a glorified pre-season game against the Dolphins where both teams had clinched a playoff spot and played backups. Now, in fairness, we had clinched a playoff spot before the final week of the season, so I can't destroy the team for that. The point is more that it was a coin flip whether we would get to 10 wins that season. 

2005: As we know, we had to win 5 straight games to rally from 5-6 to 10-6. They won 10 games (and all of them mattered) but that was a pretty unlikely run. At least most of the games in this run were pretty solid wins. We didn't get lucky or fluke our way into anything during that streak. Sadly, the 2005 Redskins were probably the most solid team we had. If Brunell didn't fade, we might have had something...

2012: Even more unlikely...from 3-6 to 10-6. This streak included a 1-point win vs. the Giants (7 of our points coming on a RGIII fumble that turned into a TD) and an OT win vs. the Ravens. 

We are so very close to having no 10-win seasons in the past 14 years, relatively close to having no 10-win seasons in the past 20 years, and reasonably close to having no 10-win seasons in the past 28 years!

5 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Well, I won't disagree with Norman on that one,  Although Norman needs to step up his own game before criticizing anyone else including fans. With that said How do we expect the players not to quit on coaches when the fans quit on them in Week 2, Real talk here

Our fanbase is as toxic as the culture of this team, it all leads back to Snyder but we are. Go ahead and click the confused face icon or roast me, its the truth

No. It's not. If these guys are out there and only being motivated by the people in the crowd, then there are much deeper issues than the fans. I will agree that our fan base is toxic, but disagree that it plays any role in the team's performance. 

In short, if you have the right foundation, coaches, and players it really shouldn't matter one bit. The fans annoy the crap out of me, but I can't pin any part of the team's struggles on that. None. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Really?  Blaming the fans? 😂

• Like 2
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:56 PM, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Smith was 6-3

Very aware of that.  I was one of the people who was high on him up until he got injured.  You can search and read any of my posts from last year

But you cannot tell me what we gave up to get him, when the chiefs were moving on from him anyway, was anything short of robbery.  We gave up a 2nd and a young corner when he could have easily been had for a third.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:11 PM, Koolblue13 said:

He didnt win how fans enjoyed watching football so he sucked regardless of winning.

Again, check my posts last year.  I was firmly on the Alex Smith bandwagon

11 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Because they are getting paid millions of dollars and under contract to play the game and not quit on their coaches or teammates or fans for that matter.  Fans aren't getting paid anything to cheer the team on or show up on Sundays to see the games. 

We, as fans, are paying our hard earned money to purchase gear, tickets, parking passes, beer/food at the stadium, etc. to cheer them on and be entertained (disclosure - fans in general attending games, I live in Charlotte, NC - but I pay for Sunday Ticket to watch them).  When the product on the field is ****, it shouldn't be surprising that some fans are going to stop going to games and watch them at home, do other things with their time.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1