Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

samy316

I actually had tears in my eyes when Gibbs 2.0 ran out onto the field.  I thought for sure that was the turn around we'd all been praying for.  After that crashed in flames, my apathy set in.  It's still there to this day.  But with each year of dysfunction and embarrasment, it grows.  And now I'm to the point that I'm not even sure if DS sold the team that I'd even care.  Sad.  

For me, I will always be a fan and watch the games on T.V, but I am not spending another dime on the Redskins either through merchandise or ticket sales unless drastic and significant change happens and I'm not talking about simply a head coaching change. 

Put simply, I want this organization to be run like a professional NFL team. 

I could support an organization financially that has a solid plan, know the direction their headed strategically and hold players and the front office accountable.  We could go 0-16 and I wouldn't mind keep going to the games.  But I refuse to put any of my hard earned money towards an org that has an imcompetent coach in Jay Gruden that has had 5 full seasons under his belt and an front office person in Bruce Allen that is in year 10 that have absolutely done nothing but ruin the franchise!  Both should have been out of the door years ago.  

If you continue to be a fan...great.  I'm with you all the way but to continue to put money in Dan's pockets ain't doing nothing but making it worse.  He won't wake up until his bottomline dollar see a significant decrease.  Then will he start making the necessary changes.

I remember my first game and seeing Charley Taylor break tackle after tackle to get to the endzone on one catch.  Became an instant and life long fan (so I thought)  My last 20 years of fandom have slowly dwindled with each year.   Embarrassments like last night no longer bother me.  It's not like its the first one.  Its routine with this ownership and management.  I'm glad I'm a Clemson grad and have had some semblance of good football to enjoy over the last decade or so.  My last home game that I attended for the Redskins was the RGIII season Dallas finale,  (Ive lived in Georgia for last 25 years so don't get up there much) but I stayed with Direct TV just so I could get Sunday Ticket.   I dropped Sunday Ticket Three years ago.  I finally convinced myself that I wouldn't spend a dime to see a Redskins game again until Dan S was gone.  Even when they are on local TV down here I don't change my Sundays (and never Monday nights with our track record) to watch like I used to.   I miss the years of Taylor, Sonny, Riggins, Butz, Theismann, Green, Monk, Clark, Coleman, Williams, Didier, Mann and Manley, and Jack Kent Cooke.   Hell, I even miss some of the Norval years, at least we weren't the league's laughingstock.     Great Job Dan S.   Great Job Bruce A.    

On 9/18/2019 at 3:11 PM, ThomasRoane said:

The only way I'd believe in a real change is if Danny fired Bruce,  made Joe Gibbs team president, and then sent regular pix of himself on his yacht during the offseason.  I don't Dan anywhere near training camp or Redskin's Park.  In fact, he should never even go on the game field.  Not even during preseason games.  Go from his house straight to his owner's box.  Then after the game straight from his owner's box to his house.  Then I'd be convinced to buy season tix; even in Fed Ex stadium.  Then I would dare to hope that real change occurred.  Anything else is just another of his telemarketing schemes.  Over promise - under deliver. 

Not enough. You know there’s these things called phones, PCs, etc. that would allow him to continue being Lord Farquaad from his yacht or anywhere. Nah, dude needs to go.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:17 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

I resent that my dad made me a Skins fan growing up in CT. He wasn't even from DC, just grew up when they were the winning team on TV and liked their colors. I grew up in NE surrounded by Patriots fans, and have had to root for this **** show the entire time while they enjoyed six....SIX Super Bowl victories out of eight appearances and countless other conference championship game appearances. I was too young to know better, and by the time I was old enough to decide which way to go, Gibbs II mania was in full swing and I too was sucked in by afterglow of the glory years that I never actually experienced, like light finally reaching me from a star that died eons ago.

**** Dan Snyder.

Let’s not get crazy now. Yes Snyder sucks, bigly. But cheering for Shady Brady and the Cheatriots?🤢🤮🤮Don’t debase yourself that way. Hell, I’d rather cheer for the Cowturds.

50 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

For me, I will always be a fan and watch the games on T.V, but I am not spending another dime on the Redskins either through merchandise or ticket sales unless drastic and significant change happens and I'm not talking about simply a head coaching change. 

Put simply, I want this organization to be run like a professional NFL team. 

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting on that were I you. And you are putting $$ in his pockets by watching the games. Do yourself and the team a favor and stop. Don’t. Just don’t.

I wonder if many players think fans are overreacting. DC is a transient town and we may have more fans out of town, than in.  Fan erosion is easiest in the transient cities. That makes ticket sales a challenge when the team is not winning.

Some players think if we supported our team, we would be there in the stands every week, faithfully. In the end, supporting them, the individual players.  Many players on our team weren't old enough to care when our misfortunes started and you cannot blame them for not learning the history lesson of the fall of our once storied franchise.

The question comes down to who does Dan like more, Bruce or us fans.  I think we all know the answer, and thus am starting to think Dan will move the team because of our lack of support as a final **** you.  The team will be gone in 5 years when Fedex is collapsing and the team is homeless.

Maybe with our team gone we'll figure out we were overreacting and should have sucked it up buttercups, like Browns fans. And many others.

After all, its just a game, right?

5 hours ago, Idaho fan said:

Its interesting to watch other games each Sunday and see what a real home team crowd looks/sounds like.  The Chiefs for example... remember when the Skins had something like that?  I do.  Attending a Seattle game is mind blowing because of the electricity present.  What this team (ownership and FO) has done to the fan base is remarkable.  Winning is a big part obviously - the biggest part but the experience is also an important aspect.  Ive never been to FedEX and don't plan to go based on what Ive heard and seen on TV.  I freaking love football however and am jealous of what other fan bases have.  

The Skins are a mockery as they have been for years.  Didn't think it would get worse but as of last year its clear they have lost their fans.  Whats left?  

GA66WPVVC5CKNEZVQRGIA2TLTY.jpg.aa342e8f79d623814ea5acfb77802408.jpg5d7eaeff9f942.image.jpg.b9b5489d6f04bbbdcbee35bb0de71326.jpg

Both above photos are, indeed, a very sad portrait of what was once a very proud and prominent organization.  As is this one, a TV freeze-grab from a few years ago, vs. the Chiefs.

1454703_10152011876537226_1102647652_n.jpg.d3b22b3f95466673d19f421d2fabb8d1.jpg

1 hour ago, Catatonic said:

I actually had tears in my eyes when Gibbs 2.0 ran out onto the field.  I thought for sure that was the turn around we'd all been praying for.  After that crashed in flames, my apathy set in.  It's still there to this day.  But with each year of dysfunction and embarrasment, it grows.  And now I'm to the point that I'm not even sure if DS sold the team that I'd even care.  Sad.  

Sadly, those are the glory years of the Snyder era.  Looking back that was the best it's ever been under him.  And yet he could restrain from interfering with Saint Joe!  

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

The question comes down to who does Dan like more, Bruce or us fans.  I think we all know the answer, and thus am starting to think Dan will move the team because of our lack of support as a final **** you.  The team will be gone in 5 years when Fedex is collapsing and the team is homeless.

Maybe with our team gone we'll figure out we were overreacting and should have sucked it up buttercups, like Browns fans. And many others.

Or maybe when the team is gone, the fans will realize that life is so much better when you don't feel obligated to pour time, money, and emotion into a toilet bowl.

Then again, I don't think it will be that. For people to think they were overreacting, they'd have to be reacting in the first place. They aren't. They don't care.

1 hour ago, studzmckenzie said:

Both above photos are, indeed, a very sad portrait of what was once a very proud and prominent organization.  As is this one, a TV freeze-grab from a few years ago, vs. the Chiefs.

1454703_10152011876537226_1102647652_n.jpg.d3b22b3f95466673d19f421d2fabb8d1.jpg

I was at that game (damn Mom being a Chiefs fan) and it wasn't pretty. I remember those who were there, were rooting for the guy who shoveled the yard line makers to be put in at QB.

This is the first season ever where I'm not livid at the pathetic performance of this team. I was seriously laughing and joking last night as they were falling down to a 28-0 hole and everything went wrong. I've come to expect pathetic performances from this franchise, and for the first time ever, I'm just...

Apathetic.

I just don't care anymore. I still enjoy football, but I'm not angry or depressed at the team being more pathetic than usual. I just accept it, and will refuse to spend a single dollar on the team, lose any sleep, or get angry until they put a product on the field worth getting invested over.

**** you Dan/Bruce. This is what you deserve. Fan apathy.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Or maybe when the team is gone, the fans will realize that life is so much better when you don't feel obligated to pour time, money, and emotion into a toilet bowl.

Then again, I don't think it will be that. For people to think they were overreacting, they'd have to be reacting in the first place. They aren't. They don't care.

Good stuff, but hard to say for sure what would happen if our team vanished overnight.   Right after Haskins starts to shine, and sucking you back in.... .

I think one thing is for sure, we would miss the good times. The same good times that sucked us in to start with.   But football gives a break from reality for some sundays every fall. Without sucking you in for 180 games like baseball.  It lets you scream like a raving lunatic and its considered normal.  Where else do you get that same emotional release, or exercise?  With the popularity of sports maybe its beneficial to us.

We can say we won't care but if we won't care then, why do we care now?  This is damn close to rock bottom.

We clearly like punishment.

3 hours ago, PigskinRedskin said:

I was at that game (damn Mom being a Chiefs fan) and it wasn't pretty. I remember those who were there, were rooting for the guy who shoveled the yard line makers to be put in at QB.

Yet another game where our trainers got punked. We had players slipping and sliding all over, and KC had no footing issues.  They ran circles around us before our poor trainer finished swapping out all ~ 750 cleats. Of course by then, the game was out of reach.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:18 AM, benskins26 said:

Yes, I 100% believe he cares. He’s only redeeming owner quality is that he actually cares about the franchise winning. 

I used to believe that he cares but don't any longer.  I've seen nothing that really makes me feel like he does.  Otherwise we would have seen change since last season.  Dan probably doesn't remember that Giants game last season but I sure do.  

4 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

Good Lord, that Chad Dukes rant posted above is now almost 10 years old, and not a DAMN THING has changed for the better. Let that sink in a minute. 

Embrace the apathy. 

And parking is now $50!

Hilarious hearing Chad's rant again. God, the Mike Shanahan four-year stint in DC is probably the most disappointing of the post-Gibbs 1 era.

I listened to that rant again, I agree.  It still rings true.

It's unbelievable.  And yet, totally believable.  

For me, I just wouldn't know what to do on a Sunday if I don't have other plans.  And if I do have other plans, I'm checking the score.

I just don't see any hope on the horizon.  Eagles and Cowboys easily look to be the class of the division and, perhaps, the conference.   I fell for it, again.  I'm so dumb.  I thought we were headed in the right direction, I thought this was going to be a year that we'd see progress.  I'm not saying I thought we'd make the playoffs, but I thought we'd be a tough team to play.

I was so wrong.  Snyder's here.  Bruce is here.  Gruden is here.  We've got a couple of rookies that could be bright spots, but how soon is it before they get hurt?  How soon is it before they get swallowed up in the darkness that is Snyder?  McLaurin is already questionable for Sunday.  The goodness that's inherent in McLaurin is no match for Snyder's darkness.  Four weeks into his pro career...the amount of effort required for Snyder's darkness to take over McLaurin is akin to flicking a booger across the room.  It's an afterthought.  

The darkness that is Snyder.  I posted it last year, this team is cursed.  I think sports fans whining about their teams being cursed is just schtick, something to originally sell newspapers (the insufferable Shaughnessy in Boston came up with the Curse of the Bambino) and for sports broadcasters to have fun with.  I mean, there's no way that Babe Ruth sat in Sudbury, MA upon learning he'd been traded and put a hex on the Sox, he went to NYC and had an absolute blast.  But ****ing Shaughnessy comes up with this phrase, it sticks and it gives sports fans something to point to when they've lost all hope and they can't explain how their team has just twisted the knife a little bit more.

But there's been so much inexplicable stuff over the years that I can't wrap my head around it.  And it starts with the theory (not fact, theory) that FedEx is built on a Native American burial ground, which is WAY more believable when it comes to curses than anything Babe Ruth related.  You can google it, look it up.  It's a rumor, it's a theory but over the past couple of years I've come to believe it.

How else do you explain it?  Jack Kent Cooke gets a hair up his ass to build a bigger stadium than RFK and hurries to build this thing out on the beltway that's the last of a dying breed, a big, concrete circular stadium that's a relic to the 70s and 80s and has no soul, no redeeming qualities...and on a Native American burial ground.  The Squire passes away, and in his will he requests the team and the stadium to be left to his foundation, bungling any kind of transfer to his sons....it could have been given to his sons and maybe, just maybe, the Redskins could have been like the Rooney's or the Mara's.  We'll never know.

Now that the stadium is built on the burial ground and the curse is in place, Snyder buys the team, snatching it out from under John Kent Cooke who couldn't get enough money together to make a good enough offer.  And Snyder IS THE CURSE.  He's not Darth Vader, he's the Emperor.  Darth Vader is kiddie **** compared to what Snyder has going on. 

How else can it be explained?  How else can terrible decision after terrible decision be explained?  How can so many good football people that have come through here over the years just be chewed up and spit out?   How can a good, Christian man like Joe Gibbs be lured out of retirement to dance with the devil, only to have his soul crushed when his generational talent, superstar free safety is murdered?  Not even the good that is in Joe Gibbs' soul could push back the darkness that stems from Snyder.  

How else can you explain RG3's knee snapping?  How else can you explain Alex Smith breaking his leg so terribly last year that he's fortunate to walk again?  And then how else can you explain Colt breaking his leg the very next week?  How else can you explain the countless injuries?  How else can you explain every single bad thing that has happened to this team since Snyder has taken over?  Sure there are teams out there that are perpetually bad, but I would venture to bet that no team anywhere in the NFL has dealt with anything like we have over the years.  Pffft, play for Nick Saban and a good program in Alabama?  No match for Snyder's darkness, that's a walk in the park for him.

And now it's coming to this, Snyder is slowly but surely squeezing the life out of the fanbase.  There are too many people, too many good fans for it to happen to all at once, it had to take 20+ years.  That dark force thing that Darth Vader did where he's all like "I find your lack of faith disturbing," and chokes that dude from the other side of the room?  Where do you think he learned that from?  That's right, the Emperor.  And Snyder is just slowly choking out this fanbase, Sunday by Sunday, year by year.  It's the final piece of the curse that the Native Americans have put in place, to just make everything so unbearably bad that the fanbase gets choked out in order for them to stop showing up to this terrible stadium and stomping on their dead ancestors souls every weekend.  Look at this very thread, look how many people are slowly being choked out by the dark side that is Snyder and his henchman, Bruce Allen.

The only way it can turn around is if Snyder publicly apologizes to the Native Americans and leave it to a group of them  to come up with a new name for the team and move them out of Fed Ex field and then build a shrine/museum to them where Fed Ex currently sits.   And rest assured, fellow fans, I am not a pro name change guy because I feel like it's some racist name or an insult and I need to tell everyone what a good person I am...my name change motivation is purely selfish, I just want the team to be better.  Let the Native American's have their say, let them come up with a name that makes them proud and move this team back into the city, off the burial ground.

But it'll never happen.  Snyder is the curse.  And he's not going anywhere.  

I just watched the Redskins vs. Cowboys in 1984 on YouTube. It was for the lead in the NFC East midway through the season, and we demolished them 34-7. It was unreal seeing how full that stadium was with Redskin fans, seeing a true home field advantage again, hearing Summerall and Madden talk about how this was possibly the best fan base in the entire league and how difficult it was to play at RFK, seeing that team go out and play with incredible passion and precision. Those are the Redskins I grew up with. So sorry for those too young to have actually lived through that time. I don't know if it will ever come again. Pathetic having to live in the past to get some joy from your team, but ... it was an enjoyable trip. 

On 9/24/2019 at 5:05 PM, RandyHolt said:

I wonder if many players think fans are overreacting. DC is a transient town and we may have more fans out of town, than in.  Fan erosion is easiest in the transient cities. That makes ticket sales a challenge when the team is not winning.

Some players think if we supported our team, we would be there in the stands every week, faithfully. In the end, supporting them, the individual players.  Many players on our team weren't old enough to care when our misfortunes started and you cannot blame them for not learning the history lesson of the fall of our once storied franchise.

I'll be honest with you Randy. I wouldnt even be mad if Snyder pulled an Irsay and moved the team in the middle of the night. We would either get an expansion team or another team in here in a few years. And if that would be the price to pay to get Snyder out of DC I would do it in a heartbeat. I am DONE with Dan Snyder. I KNOW how he made his money and who made it for him. I also know what he did to those people once he made that money. The man is nothing but a loser.

Archived