Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

samy316

27 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

DC is NOT a sports town at all. It became a Redskins town in the 70s and 80s and very recently became somewhat of a hockey town. We will flock to winners, but it's not a sports town BECAUSE it's white collar and transient. 

There is no one unifying team for the region.  But the area is made up of die-hard college sports fans.  That extends throughout VA too.  You see a lot of college team merch everywhere you go.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There is no one unifying team for the region.  But the area is made up of die-hard college sports fans.  That extends throughout VA too.  You see a lot of college team merch everywhere you go.

I'll take your word for it...I know that there are plenty of UVA and VT folks to go along with UMD. But at the same time, those aren't exactly SEC football schools or traditionally great basketball programs (last year's champs aside). 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'll take your word for it...I know that there are plenty of UVA and VT folks to go along with UMD. But at the same time, those aren't exactly SEC football schools or traditionally great basketball programs (last year's champs aside). 

You've got everything from those schools to Georgetown to Penn State to Duke to Michigan to whatever alma mater the highly mobile and affluent population of the area has a connection to.  There seem to be 417 West Virginia fans on this forum alone.  You also have a wealth of smaller, more local programs that receive strong support, like JMU, Navy, George Mason, George Washington, VCU, etc.  It's not like Nebraska or Iowa, where the region is divided between one or two teams.  And it's not like those places in that you are likely to see NFL team flags and car decals.  But college fandom is ubiquitous here and you see a lot of that instead.

23 hours ago, carex said:

Cause the fans who feel that way don't go to games

my father thinks it's the **** location  that really hurts the team and if the stadium was as accessible as say RFK the lousy play would matter less to fans

I don't buy this, I think there are plenty of fans who attend the games who are sick and tired of Mr Snyder's way of doing things. It's time they are heard from and I mean at the game with chants directed at the owner.

The stadium sucks but guess what, so did RRK and it was in a terrible neighborhood that was difficult to get out of after the game as it was in the city and very congested with limited exit routes as well.  If they were winning nobody would be complaining about the stadium.  

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You've got everything from those schools to Georgetown to Penn State to Duke to Michigan to whatever alma mater the highly mobile and affluent population of the area has a connection to.  There seem to be 417 West Virginia fans on this forum alone.  You also have a wealth of smaller, more local programs that receive strong support, like JMU, Navy, George Mason, George Washington, VCU, etc.  It's not like Nebraska or Iowa, where the region is divided between one or two teams.  And it's not like those places in that you are likely to see NFL team flags and car decals.  But college fandom is ubiquitous here and you see a lot of that instead.

Not sure I agree.  Up until recently there was no doubt this was a Redskins town.  Of course there are a lot of college in the region, as there are in most every major city. But a visit to Knoxville or Columbus will show you what a college sports town is like. Here we have a ton of Maryland alum, such as myself, and there is no way we feel as passionately about the MD football program as we did about the Redskins.  Mason, Georgetown etc don't even have major college football programs, yet most of those local alums are Redskins fans. 

19 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Not sure I agree.  Up until recently there was no doubt this was a Redskins town.  Of course there are a lot of college in the region, as there are in most every major city. But a visit to Knoxville or Columbus will show you what a college sports town is like. Here we have a ton of Maryland alum, such as myself, and there is no way we feel as passionately about the MD football program as we did about the Redskins.  Mason, Georgetown etc don't even have major college football programs, yet most of those local alums are Redskins fans. 

I agree with you...sure you have a bunch of people in DC who attended various colleges and some might even be passionate about the sports programs, but that's not what I think of as a college sports town. 

A XXX town when it relates to sports needs to have a large number of the residents all rooting for the same team. Knoxville, Columbus, and even Durham would be great examples of that. DC is not...not even close. 

It used to be said that the Redskins were the only thing that Washingtonians agreed on.

Even during the Norv years, the difference in the mood on the street was palpable on Mondays based on a win or a loss. Haven't felt that around here in probably 15 years.

For those who came of age or arrived here in this century, you haven't experienced DC as the Redskins town it was.

It is a combination of things.  The Redskins record during the Snyder era has been horrible (as bad or worse than Lions) & we still have yet to see any signs that things are getting better. Combine this with terrible front offices and head coaches during most of this time.  On top of that you have a terrible stadium (with no atmosphere, terrible traffic, no proximity to restaurants/bars/etc & just a bad experience) & an organization that basically treats its fanbase like ****.  You can top it all of by the constant soap opera environment & horrendous off field actions.

Why would it surprise anyone that this would lead to fan revolt, hatred of the team & ultimately apathy towards the team.  Throw in transient residents & younger folks who have no interest in the team & it is wonder that they attract any fans save for the ones who root for the visitors.  It just appears that Snyder either flat out doesn't care or just stupid to this type of thing.

36 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I agree with you...sure you have a bunch of people in DC who attended various colleges and some might even be passionate about the sports programs, but that's not what I think of as a college sports town. 

A XXX town when it relates to sports needs to have a large number of the residents all rooting for the same team. Knoxville, Columbus, and even Durham would be great examples of that. DC is not...not even close. 

Well first off, there is definitely no unifying team in the Research Triangle area.  But why must an entire area follow one single college football team to be considered die-hard?  Is the Maryland resident who flies out to Michigan several times a season to catch their home games, or a VA resident who lives in DC but owns a condo in Blacksburg that they use for attending VT home games any less die-hard than an Ohio State fan living in Ohio.  There is a lot of affluent college sports fans like that in the region.  They just follow a variety teams.

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Well first off, there is definitely no unifying team in the Research Triangle area.  But why must an entire area follow one single college football team to be considered die-hard?  Is the Maryland resident who flies out to Michigan several times a season to catch their home games, or a VA resident who lives in DC but owns a condo in Blacksburg that they use for attending VT home games any less die-hard than an Ohio State fan living in Ohio.  There is a lot of affluent college sports fans like that in the region.  They just follow a variety teams.

I'm not judging or commenting on an individual fan. I'm merely saying that MY interpretation of labeling a town a college sports town implies that a large portion of people are rooting for the same team. Otherwise, you could easily call DC a baseball town since we have Yankee, Oriole, Red Sox, and Nats fan in plentiful supply. 

I think we are just hung up on our perception of what it means. 

Back to the pros, when I think of a rich sports town, it's generally more of a blue-collar city with more examples of generations of families sticking around. Pittsbugh, Cleveland, Buffalo, etc. 

On 9/16/2019 at 12:30 PM, bakedtater1 said:

It brings my folks and I together each time the skins play..if it means more time with my parents while there still with me I'll continue to watch. 

Much bigger things in life than banging our heads over a football game. Wish my folks were still here. cheers

On 9/16/2019 at 1:15 PM, Redd said:

I like watching Sean McVay and his Rams play more than my Redskins.  At least the Rams seem prepared and can win any game they play and he used to be offensive coordinator here. That's what the Redskins have beat me down enough to do.  Freaking Kyle and his 49rs look better than us.  I can't figure the Redskins out.

Either can the coaching staff.

56 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm not judging or commenting on an individual fan. I'm merely saying that MY interpretation of labeling a town a college sports town implies that a large portion of people are rooting for the same team. Otherwise, you could easily call DC a baseball town since we have Yankee, Oriole, Red Sox, and Nats fan in plentiful supply. 

I think we are just hung up on our perception of what it means. 

Back to the pros, when I think of a rich sports town, it's generally more of a blue-collar city with more examples of generations of families sticking around. Pittsbugh, Cleveland, Buffalo, etc. 

While the area is more transient than those cities we saw for 30 years that this can be a very very good pro football town.  We were still that way during the Norv years too despite the losing. But Snyder has changed all of that.  And for many of us it's not just the losing, it's supporting a team owned by such a horrible horrible man.  It has made it much harder to support a loser when you read so many stories about this man. It also makes it a lot easier to finally check out as so many of us are now doing.  

1 hour ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

You would think the cheapskate could get a suit that fit a little better but i guess you own a clown team you dress the part. Nice pants DAN !

The funny thing is that a properly fitted suit would make him look taller. As it is, in that picture he looks like a 12-year-old wearing his dad's suit to a school function. 😃

Nothing has changed for me. Still the same since the early 80s in terms of tuning in and being locked in each week. It’s a conscious choice and I still enjoy the routine and being a fan. I like chasing the good moments even as those “moments” become much more fleeting. Even just last year we had that win over Dallas which was really fun and enjoyable. It’s also a MAJOR stretch if that’s the high point of a season or even of a couple of seasons. I get that. But for me personally I don’t feel I’ll be able to enjoy the rare good days if I’m not locked in for the bad ones too. 

But I understand that I’m rare. The fan base isn’t dying. It’s dead. Truth is we were never probably as strong of a fan base as somewhere like Buffalo or Cleveland— two other franchises that have been MISERABLE but have maintained strong fan interest/numbers. 

Its over. They missed a generation that they won’t get back. And if your’re a lifer that has called it quits they probably won’t get you back either— it’s sort of a hard line to cross back over. So they maintain a small % of fans like me who are lifelong die hards that haven’t faded and they have another small % of “new” fans that choose to root for the home team regardless and/or for other reasons. 

Now, if they are ever good again, people will show up and TV ratings will go up. That’s just the way it works. If Haskins is the real deal and he’s rattling off wins a year from now, the stadium will have more Skins fans in attendenade and there will be more general chatter about the team. But it won’t be like the old days. That’s done. 

I’ll end with this as I have many times on ES over the years: 

I made one trip to RFK— in 1994, three years removed from a Super Bowl Title— Norv’s first season. We were terrible and we played the 49ers that day who went on to win the SB. It was a very disappointing experience. There was no atmosphere. Not many empty seats, but it was fairly empty in the 4th quarter and it wasn’t loud or intense or anything at any point in the game. Fans had basically checked out. So I think we probably overrated ourselves a bit over the years. Of course it was pretty easy to make a stadium rock when you are a SB contender for a decade. I am not absolving Snyder here just saying Skins fan probably shouldn’t have ever been classified with some other fan bases. 

13 hours ago, ntotoro said:

Hi, Bob!!! I'm sorry that it came to that for you and that it happened that way, but I look at it like It was meant to happen to shove you in a different direction... professionally and otherwise... 😀

They say things happen for a reason and, yeah, wind up sending you down a different road on which you would have otherwise not turned.  The chatter here simply affirms that I was steered down a good road in life ...

Two weeks until hockey's regular season gets underway and (possibly) the first postseason game for another DC franchise.

2 hours ago, max21 said:

I was watching highlights from 2012 today and Fedex really was packed with skins fans then, I went to the Eagles and Cowboys game at home that year. Crazy how different the atmosphere is now 

The play of rookie RG-III certainly made for some exciting times.  I was in the east end zone that season and the transformation of the team coming out of the Week 10 BYE was amazing with the thrashing of Philly in Week 11 ... (it helped to have division games five of those last seven)

It was, however, short lived just three seasons after BINGO and "Swing Gate" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-tqLG__Al4); we were on the way back down, save the 2015 season when our level of "sucktitude" was lower than the rest of the division (clinching the East with an 8-7 record before the other 15 games were played kind of says something).

Maybe we got spoiled during those 12 seasons under Gibbs I but, as B.B. King once sang five decades ago, the thrill is gone for many long time fans.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oica5jG7FpU

I was in the Keys fishing for tuna and we got back to the dock at like 1:30 on Sunday and waited to get our fish cleaned, then headed to a bar in time and got there with like 9 minutes left in the third quarter.  Prior I had seen the score was 7-0 Redskins, then I saw it was 7-7.  Next score I saw was 21-7.  By that point I already knew it was over.

When I got to the bar with my Redskins hat on, I was clearly the only Redskins fan in the bar.  Of course every big Cowboys play, about 10 people cheered.  I was shooting the **** with a few of them and it was a good time.  But I never once had hope that the Redskins could pull anything off.  The defense was just getting steamrolled.

The Redskins being this ****ty is straight up making me not care about football as much, which kind of blows because I like it so much.  But I wasn't even upset or mad after the Redskins lost.  It's like I don't even care anymore, which sucks.  

Apathy is real.

I finally crossed into apathy this year.

Week 1 - I took my wife to a winery and enjoyed a beautiful day, great wine, and a superb acoustic singer.  A friend texted me that the Skins were up 17-0 and I replied simply, "Don't care."

Week 2 - I spent the afternoon on the deck on another beautiful Sunday.  Didn't once check a score.

For reference, I became a Skins fan in '71 (loved Larry Brown), lived and died with this team through the 70s, 80s, and the 90s, and was a season ticket holder for 15 years in the 00's.

Danny Boy and Brucey have managed to push me away.  I check into this board now because of the need to see the trainwreck.

Archived