Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have we seen and heard enough from Norman yet?

Monkman56

OK, realizing its much more than Norman being the problem. However watching these games since last year I am noticing more and more big plays as well as routine plays being given up by our #1 corner. Norman allows even  #3  WR's make the easiest catches relatively uncontested. His legs look slow, but his mouth is fast. I know its hard to admit you've lost a step but he is starting to look like more of a liability than an asset. Maybe its time to either move him to another position as we transition the younger guys in. We're obviously taking the lumps already. On a second note, I noticed a completely lopsided penalty count ( primarily holding) on us in the first half which in my opinion shifted the game greatly. Yes our DEF is terrible, but I can't help noticing and feeling that over all this team is being picked on more than others. And its been that way for several years. Maybe I'm just a disgruntled fan?    Thoughts on either subject?

IIRC, yesterday on the deep bomb he gave up, didn't bump the receiver at the line...instead gave him a big cushion.  Dude blew right past him.

The odd thing about it is, we can accuse Norman of being a lot of things but he's never been afraid to mix it up and make contact.  He's not afraid to tackle.  So I'm not sure why he'd be playing so far off a receiver at the line of scrimmage like he does at times.  

I'm not saying he could be a lockdown corner but he has lost a step and hasn't seemed to have done anything technique/strategy wise to make up for it.

We should have cut him this past off season. He was clearly a declining player and his head isn't in the game anymore. You follow NFL players on IG, most of them are working hard in the offseason. His photos/videos are mostly him partying, traveling, enjoying other things. Again all that stuff is fine, but you see Alvin Kamara or JJ Watt doing crazy fitness drills and it makes you wonder where J No's head is at.

He's more interested in being a star in front of the camera, so cut his ass and let him persue that.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

IIRC, yesterday on the deep bomb he gave up, didn't bump the receiver at the line...instead gave him a big cushion.  Dude blew right past him.

The odd thing about it is, we can accuse Norman of being a lot of things but he's never been afraid to mix it up and make contact.  He's not afraid to tackle.  So I'm not sure why he'd be playing so far off a receiver at the line of scrimmage like he does at times.  

I'm not saying he could be a lockdown corner but he has lost a step and hasn't seemed to have done anything technique/strategy wise to make up for it.

I'm convinced he doesnt play press because they are telling him not to.  

21 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Fuller Isn’t exactly lighting it up in KC

I'll take him and his contract over Norman right now.  Cap room rolls over.  Norman is def gone.  If fuller sucked, and we released him in the same time frame, at least we have more money.  Or he grows in the role.

I'd rather have "maybe suck" and extra cap space vs "definetly suck" and less cap space every day.

52 minutes ago, Unbias said:

He had a bad game. I'm not convinced that this team is better without him. 

Not seeing him making individual plays despite dysfunction...the way I'd expect from an elite (top 5) player at his position.  Bruce overpaid for a system (cover 3) corner that had a great year, behind a formidable front 7.  

The TD they gave up against Devin Smith, he wasn't in a position to do much of anything except possibly play an under thrown ball.  

NormanSplits.png

Head Coach Jay Gruden has recently expressed that he wants to see more out of Norman in the upcoming season following another lackluster year from the cornerback. It is difficult to make the argument that the Redskins have gotten what they paid for in Norman’s five-year $75 million deal which included $35 million in guarantees. He is currently the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL, but his 72.2 overall grade last season ranked 49th at his position. Norman has yet to reach his career-high 85.7 grade (2015) while in Washington, and surrendered eight touchdowns in 2018 alone, compared to the 13 he surrendered from 2012 to 2017.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-the-redskins-are-looking-for-more-from-josh-norman-in-2019

52 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Against the Eagles he was good. Against the Cowboys, not so much. 

He had a bad game. I'm not convinced that this team is better without him. 

I don't think that's the point. I agree that our secondary is even worse without him, but why not clear the cap space, give reps to someone who could be part of the future, and maybe get a pick back to get slightly worse play?

Yeah, Norman hasn't been good for us. I'm sure we all thought he would generate turnovers and be a top 5 talent when we signed him but he's been bad the last two years.

Him getting torched down the seams two weeks in a row in critical , momentum-changing times of the game against DIVISION FOES  is a TERRIBLE look to start the season. Surely, he should be able to understand why everybody in the organization is down on him.

Then again, he is a narcissist 

Archived