Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I didn’t really follow the argument, I guess I haven’t paid much attention to the format or I’m dumb. Or both.

It's a 24 team playoff format. I'll be more interested if they every finalize anything. 

20 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Home Ice isn’t a thing.

I 99% agree. I leave 1% to small things like sleeping in one's own bed, knowing the rink bounces, and a random player/goalie that just plays better on home ice and that makes a difference 1 out of 100 series. 

You're right

Edited by Hersh
  • Haha 2

How Much Does Home-Ice Advantage Matter in the Stanley Cup Final?

Like MLB, home teams do not fare any better in the NHL postseason than they do in the regular season. And a 55% win percentage implies a line of -120 for two evenly matched teams. With the line set right around -120 for Game 3, you should bet the Caps if you feel they have the better team — adjusted for injuries and other factors you deem important.

Home teams in the Stanley Cup Final have gone 51-24 (68%) straight-up since 2006. A $100 bettor would be up $1,103 betting the home team (14.7% ROI). However, most of that profit came during 2006-2011, when home teams went 29-9 for a profit of +10.8 units. Betting home teams between 2012 and this season has essentially been a wash, as they have gone 22-15 for a marginal net profit of +0.23 units.

Click on the link for more

48 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I made a bet for Caps to reach ECF and Stanley Cup back in February.  I'm not sure how it works under this new setup. Does my bet get canceled by MGM?

My buddy bet it for me in Vegas in January. Pretty sure I have the Caps @ 10-1 for $250

5 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Twelve teams crammed into a single arena. who must play every second or third day and .... math.

3 games per day, teams play every other day. 12-3 (clean) 4-7 (clean) 8-11 (clean). Practices on other ice in the city.

But an ideal hub has 2 or 3 places to play the games. 

The logistics to the quarentine portion as they stand now make me think this has a low probability of happening. 

Each location should have two usable game rinks along with at least two practice facilities. It shouldn't be that difficult to find. Columbus, OH makes sense as a location cause they have the Ohio State ice rink along where the blue jackets play.

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1

NHL announces that Ovi (and Pastrnak) win the Richard Trophy.  I heard someone say at one point that Pasta would edge out Ovi because Alex had more empty net goals.  Glad they didn't enforce this.

9 friggin goal scoring titles.  Enjoy this guy while we can, because we're never going to have another player quite like him ever again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I still don’t really understand. If there’s hockey soon, then great

I don't either. If they pull this off, they can put up a statue of Bettman in Pittsburgh with his favorite team. Hubs, Round Robins for seeding. What happens if a team has 3 guys test positive one morning between games? Is that entire team disqualified? What about the team they just played? They can't wait a week or two for testing again.

Not feeling confident about it. 24 team playoff? Might as well do the entire league NCAA bracket-style. One and done Thursday through Sunday each week. Then the winner of everything gets some different trophy for 2019-2020. No Cup.

3 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I don't either. If they pull this off, they can put up a statue of Bettman in Pittsburgh with his favorite team. Hubs, Round Robins for seeding. What happens if a team has 3 guys test positive one morning between games? Is that entire team disqualified? What about the team they just played? They can't wait a week or two for testing again.

Not feeling confident about it. 24 team playoff? Might as well do the entire league NCAA bracket-style. One and done Thursday through Sunday each week. Then the winner of everything gets some different trophy for 2019-2020. No Cup.

The way it is being floated, if you test positive you are pulled out for 14 days, but everyone else can keep going.  They are going to test either every day or every other day.

12 minutes ago, daveakl said:

The way it is being floated, if you test positive you are pulled out for 14 days, but everyone else can keep going.  They are going to test either every day or every other day.

I get that they are saying this. I just don't see it working.

• Like 1