Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

59 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Don't like that Philly also got a charity point

Meh, we've gotten plenty of them too.

But I'm with you that we really need to catch the Flyers. After this rough season, I'll be grateful for any playoff berth. But if we want to do anything more than one-and-done, we need the 3rd seed in the Metro.  Playing Carolina would be no easy task, but they're a lot more vulnerable than the Rangers or Bruins (the two teams we'd likely play with the 2nd wildcard). No way either Boston or New York loses in the first round again this year (as they did last year).

Edited by capcrunch98

23 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Looks like the deal to move the Caps and Lizards to Alexandria is officially dead.  Now Ted is at the mercy of the DC Council, at least until another VA or MD suitor comes calling.

Ted is talking with Maryland now.  

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2024/03/20/ted-leonsis-arena-maryland-wes-moore

You almost have to admire Ted's shamelessness.  He has absolutely crushed his standing in the area. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Ted is talking with Maryland now.  

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2024/03/20/ted-leonsis-arena-maryland-wes-moore

You almost have to admire Ted's shamelessness.  He has absolutely crushed his standing in the area. 

But they apparently reached a deal with DC and they will stay there

Honestly anywhere but DC would not be optimal. The DC location is perfect.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

But they apparently reached a deal with DC and they will stay there

Honestly anywhere but DC would not be optimal. The DC location is perfect.

Agree that Chinatown is a good locale.  Did not see that they've reached an agreement with DC.  Got a link?

Edit:  I found it.  WaPo:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/03/27/dc-capitals-wizards-capital-one-arena-alexandria-bowser-leonsis/

D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser and Ted Leonsis, owner of the Wizards and Capitals, said Wednesday they were finalizing a deal that — if approved by the D.C. Council — would keep the teams in downtown D.C. until 2050, ending the owner’s planned move to Virginia.

An announcement is planned for late Wednesday afternoon at Capital One Arena downtown.

Under the terms of the deal, D.C. would spend $515 million over three years to help Leonsis modernize the arena and the owner would sign a new lease keeping the teams in D.C. for 25 more years.

The agreement includes other provisions that address some of Leonsis’s concerns about the state of downtown and allow his company, Monumental Sports and Entertainment, to additionally expand in the city.

Among the provisions to which the two sides have tentatively agreed, D.C. would allow Leonsis to take over management of the Mystics home facility in Southeast D.C., utilize parking at some District-owned buildings for Monumental employees, keep a minimum number of police officers downtown and plan for a new future downtown practice facility for the Wizards.

That all seems reasonable and should have happened before the whole ALX mess. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

I've been meaning to complain about Atlanta getting a team.  Big news here. 

We've failed to support the 2 we've had, and they want go south, like the Braves went north (both are not accessible by public transit).

And $200+ tickets?  Have to drive 50 miles each way?  Pay for parking? 

I'll stay a Caps fan. ❤

• Like 3

1 minute ago, skinsmarydu said:

I've been meaning to complain about Atlanta getting a team.  Big news here. 

We've failed to support the 2 we've had, and they want go south, like the Braves went north (both are not accessible by public transit).

And $200+ tickets?  Have to drive 50 miles each way?  Pay for parking? 

I'll stay a Caps fan. ❤

Before Atlanta gets a hockey team I can think of a few places that should. KC (who Bettman screwed over with the Penguins thing), Portland, Salt Lake City, Quebec City.

I always found it weird that Tampa can thrive and all the gazillions here couldn't keep a team. 

I went to as many Thrasher games as I could (before I had hubby), bought a sweater, blanket covers, etc.  My friend Tania and I really tried.  And that was downtown, get off the train and up the escalator.  

I'm just laughing at how nobody supported them moving to VA. Nobody.

There was universal disdain and pushback against the move. UNIVERSAL. Other than paid shills and the ad campaign, no working class man not associated with the Caps wanted them to move to VA. It was a horrific deal. Moving outside an airport, right next door, with a packed highway that already had issues? Who thought that up?

DC was the best place for them to play. The ideal location that fit everyone. And we won't forget what Ted did. Nor will we forgive.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I'm just laughing at how nobody supported them moving to VA. Nobody.

There was universal disdain and pushback against the move. UNIVERSAL. Other than paid shills and the ad campaign, no working class man not associated with the Caps wanted them to move to VA. It was a horrific deal. Moving outside an airport, right next door, with a packed highway that already had issues? Who thought that up?

DC was the best place for them to play. The ideal location that fit everyone. And we won't forget what Ted did. Nor will we forgive.

I actually think a lot of Virginia people wanted this. Grant and Danny are bemoaning it. That’s two people at least.

• ixcuincle changed the title to 2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread (Ted ditches plan to move to VA, will stay in DC!)
5 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I actually think a lot of Virginia people wanted this. Grant and Danny are bemoaning it. That’s two people at least.

I can't speak to all of Virginia.  I know that basically nobody in Alexandria besides the Mayor wanted it.  

Personally, I could have lived with it going in, but did not buy for one second that I wouldn't be on the hook for paying for it (and it was going to be the largest public subsidy for an arena ever in the US), so **** that.  And I'm a huge Caps fan.  Everyone here that isn't a Caps or Wiz fan uniformly wanted nothing to do with it. 

The process by which they tried to get it done was also, well, terrible.  They tried to pull all of the political tricks to keep the bad parts in the dark and they were clearly overselling the good parts, but this is ****ing Alexandria, people here can identify all of that bull****.  

• Like 2

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

I can't speak to all of Virginia.  I know that basically nobody in Alexandria besides the Mayor wanted it.  

Personally, I could have lived with it going in, but did not buy for one second that I wouldn't be on the hook for paying for it (and it was going to be the largest public subsidy for an arena ever in the US), so **** that.  And I'm a huge Caps fan.  Everyone here that isn't a Caps or Wiz fan uniformly wanted nothing to do with it. 

The process by which they tried to get it done was also, well, terrible.  They tried to pull all of the political tricks to keep the bad parts in the dark and they were clearly overselling the good parts, but this is ****ing Alexandria, people here can identify all of that bull****.  

It’s a story as old as time. Saying NOBODY wanted them in VA is wrong though. At least two radio dummies with a commuter slot said they wanted it. I feel like there have to be others. Specifically the kind that hate going to the city, wear wrap around sunglasses and comment on Facebook about DEI ruining our country. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

It’s a story as old as time. Saying NOBODY wanted them in VA is wrong though. At least two radio dummies with a commuter slot said they wanted it. I feel like there have to be others. Specifically the kind that hate going to the city, wear wrap around sunglasses and comment on Facebook about DEI ruining our country. 

Those people don't come to ALX either.  They understand the plethora of these bumper stickers really mean YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE to those types.  

Coexist in a Rainbow - Bumper Sticker / Decal - Peace Resource Project

• Haha 1

@PleaseBlitz ‘s post is exactly how I feel. 

outside of me being a much more casual fan of the team than him. 

if a team wanted to buy some land and build something, maybe the tax payer cost is infrastructure rework, I’m OK with that. 

But screw paying for the stadium/land. The money these owners try to make by then building entire markets around their arena, much is only a possibility because they ultimately are doing it on the back of taxpayers by funding the stadium, is total nonsense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The worst thing that happened to Leonsis is Snyder selling the team. 

been saying it for a while. That will ultimately be the story. He flew under the radar cause he drafted Ovechkin and Snyder owned the football team. 

at some point people will also come around to the fact that he had only one legit run for a cup with Ovi. I don’t care how many you win, ****s hard and puck luck, but ultimately they only had one legit run (and they won that year.)

That’s unacceptable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, tshile said:

The worst thing that happened to Leonsis is Snyder selling the team. 

been saying it for a while. That will ultimately be the story. He flew under the radar cause he drafted Ovechkin and Snyder owned the football team. 

I'm not a Leonsis apologist by any means, but comparisons to Snyder are nonsense. Danny took a legendary franchise with one of the most loyal fanbases in sports, and turned it all into dog **** (both on and off the field).

Leonsis did the opposite - he bought a club that was a junior varsity operation it's entire 25 year existence, and turned it into one of the hottest tickets in town. 

For as good as a man as Abe Pollin seemed to be, he was a terrible owner of the Caps, and made very little effort to hide the fact they were nothing more than an investment for him.

As a person, Ted seemed like a good guy the first several years he owned the club. Always meeting with fans on the concourse at every game, making himself fully accessible to the fans and media, and answering every email and every concern brought to him. As a longtime STH, I had several interactions with him at fan events and I was always impressed.

He doesn't do this anymore, maybe because he doesn't have the time, or maybe because he really has changed over the years.