Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

1 hour ago, capcrunch98 said:

Can't lose twice to Buffalo in 10 days and expect to make the playoffs.

If this score holds, they're probably going to have to secure 5 out of 6 points their last 3 games. That's a tall order considering 2 of those games are against Boston and Tampa.

It looked for a while like the Caps could get third place in the division. Now I don't see them catching the Islanders for that spot, and the problem with Pittsburgh is that the Pens will likely have the tiebreakers (RW, ROW) in case the Caps wind up with the same number of points

Absolute terrible night for us.  We lost a game we needed to win.  The Isles overcome a 3rd period deficit and win.  The Flyers snap an 8-game skid in an away game against the best team in the league (points-wise).  The Pens win, but not before letting the Wings rally from a late 2-goal 3rd period deficit to get a point.

We're officially in the "need to win out (or at the very least take 2 of our last 3, and get a point in the other), and also need some help on the scoreboard" category.  Any regulation loss from this point forward ends our season.  Not looking good with Tampa and Boston coming up.

After 79 games, we are who our record says we are.  They fought hard this year, but they're just not good enough.

The Capitals have scored two goals or less in 40 games. That does not include a couple more games when they scored the 3rd goal in OT. 

Oh, they also healthy scratched Miro again. I still can't believe they burn a year of his contract for, at this point, 21 games in the NHL. Piss poor decision by GMBM.

• Like 1

These bums are 1-7 in their last 8, and that 1 was barely squeaking out a win against the Red Wings.  And this is when they knew they controlled their own destiny to get into the dance.

Even if they luck box into the playoffs they are doing nothing.

It would probably annoy me more if they made the playoffs because then I'd have some false glimmer of hope.

15 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

DC fans can't have nice things......

Sucks that even when the Caps won the Cup, they didn't retain the coach that got them there. And then covid squashed what should've been the Nats victory lap year after their 2019 title.

2 hours ago, zCommander said:

Too bad the Flyers won. But need the Pens to lose their game tonight. Fingers crossed. 🤞

Done.

So we're in the 2nd WC slot with 2 games to go. Isles have all but wrapped up the 3rd seed in the Metro, so we're fighting for WC2 and a matchup with the Rangers. That's scary, but as Caps fans have learned the hard way over many years, anything is possible in the postseason and 1st round upsets happen all the time.

We probably need a point vs. Boston on Monday, and obviously a win in Philly on Tuesday.

• Like 1

Another critical game tonight against the Bs.  Jensen out with that injury the other night, Dylan McIlrath called up from Hershey to take his spot.  Maybe his grit will play well in this playoff-atmosphere game.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Team looks different tonight, not too late to get hot to go into the playoffs?

They're a very Jekyll and Hyde team this season.  They can beat anybody, but they can also get quite embarrassed.  I'm certainly not putting any money down on them going to the cup, but I don't think anyone's gonna look at a series against the caps as a bye.

How did that not go in!?

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Team looks different tonight, not too late to get hot to go into the playoffs?

Momentum going into the playoffs is not a thing. The postseason is essentially a soft reset.