Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Milano continues the beat down.  Looks like Miroshnichenko got the secondary assist (Primary to Alexeyev), so he's got both his first goal and his first assist tonight.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Shutout from Lindgren the night before the trade deadline can't hurt his trade value.

On a related note, I tuned in to the game after it started, and I didn't realize Kuemper was injured. When I didn't see him on the bench, I was practically doing cartwheels and moonwalking across my living room, thinking some desperate GM took him off our hands.

No such luck.

10 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

On a related note, I tuned in to the game after it started, and I didn't realize Kuemper was injured. When I didn't see him on the bench, I was practically doing cartwheels and moonwalking across my living room, thinking some desperate GM took him off our hands.

No such luck.

He's sick

On 3/6/2024 at 1:12 AM, BraveWarrior said:

Just getting tired of the idea that this team can't enter a rebuild while Ovie is chasing the record. I think if I were the GM, I'd tell him "look, if you're going to get the record here then you're going to do it as the leader of a bunch of new and young players. If you're truly great, you'll be able to do it under those circumstances." It's not like it's the team they thought would help him get there anyway. Backstrom is essentially gone, Kuzy is gone, Oshie is almost always out of the lineup with injuries. Orlov has been gone since last year. I'm probably forgetting a few. The team has been steadily declining since winning the Cup, which is now 6 years ago. 

Ovechkin's contract is up so we can tell him whatever we want, but he can take his talents wherever he likes at this point.  So if we want him to remain on the team, we'll have to accommodate him.  Like I keep harping on, we should have restarted the rebuild 5 years ago after it was apparent the team was done after the Cup run and Ovechkin was under contract.  Would have been a much better position now.  As it is, I don't know how much Ovechkin is going to play past 40, so it will be a tough to complete a rebuild before he seeks greener pastures.

Having him break Wayne's record wearing anything but a Caps uniform would be an embarassment for this franchise.  I'm hoping even he sees how its just not possible for the Caps to be competitve again while keeping to slap bandaids on the team.

Getting a 3rd round pick for Kuznetsov is fantastic.  Don't care that we're retaining 50%.  Saves us an extra $2.75 mil (after subtracting our savings from stashing him in the AHL) next year and unlike a buyout, takes him off the books after that rather than having his salary affecting us for an extra year.

• Thumb up 1

Overall, a decent trade deadline for the Caps. Got a couple good draft picks for Mantha, who they couldn't give away for free at the beginning of the season, got back basically the same return for Edmondson as we gave up to Montreal last summer to acquire him, and we even found a taker for Kuzy which none of us thought was possible. Eating salary doesn't mean much right now because we're not signing any significant free agents anytime soon.

In what was clearly a buyer's market, we did okay.

Really glad they didn't trade Dowd and Lindgren in this down market. Giving either of them away for a 3rd round pick or whatever crappy return GMBM was offered would've sucked.

• Thumb up 2

48 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Overall, a decent trade deadline for the Caps. Got a couple good draft picks for Mantha, who they couldn't give away for free at the beginning of the season, got back basically the same return for Edmondson as we gave up to Montreal last summer to acquire him, and we even found a taker for Kuzy which none of us thought was possible. Eating salary doesn't mean much right now because we're not signing any significant free agents anytime soon.

I don't think we'll be opposed to opening the wallet in Free Agency, just needs to be for a talented player on the right side of 30.  If Noah Hanifin reaches Free Agency, I'd hope the Caps would be in on trying to sign him.

48 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

In what was clearly a buyer's market, we did okay.

Really glad they didn't trade Dowd and Lindgren in this down market. Giving either of them away for a 3rd round pick or whatever crappy return GMBM was offered would've sucked.

Yeah, I was in no hurry to get rid of them.  My only interest in moving them was the hypothetical returns we'd get.  Without high returns, I'd rather keep 'em.  Still have another year on their contracts.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I don't think we'll be opposed to opening the wallet in Free Agency, just needs to be for a talented player on the right side of 30.  If Noah Hanifin reaches Free Agency, I'd hope the Caps would be in on trying to sign him.

IMO, this team has no business bidding on top-end free agents.  We're not even close to being "a player or two away" from competing.  I know things are complicated because they're still trying to field a competitive team in Ovi's final years, but even if management won't commit to a full rebuild, they can't be foolish enough to jump into free agency.

I expect them just to fill out the corners with low-risk FA signings this summer, and allow for the prospects to earn roster spots and develop.  And I am fine with that.

Just now, capcrunch98 said:

IMO, this team has no business bidding on top-end free agents.  We're not even close to being "a player or two away" from competing.  I know things are complicated because they're still trying to field a competitive team in Ovi's final years, but even if management won't commit to a full rebuild, they can't be foolish enough to jump into free agency.

I expect them just to fill out the corners with low-risk FA signings this summer, and allow for the prospects to earn roster spots and develop.  And I am fine with that.

We shouldn't be pursuing 30+ "finishing piece" type players, but why would you oppose a 27/28 year old (around Dylan Strome's age) who can step in immediately and still be very effective in 5 years when our new young core is taking the reins?  If Sam Reinhart, who's 28 and currently sitting on 45 goals this season, hits free agency after this season, would you not be interested in adding him to the team?  Or the previously mentioned 27-year-old defender Noah Hanifin who would shore up our D now and into the future.

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

We shouldn't be pursuing 30+ "finishing piece" type players, but why would you oppose a 27/28 year old (around Dylan Strome's age) who can step in immediately and still be very effective in 5 years when our new young core is taking the reins?  If Sam Reinhart, who's 28 and currently sitting on 45 goals this season, hits free agency after this season, would you not be interested in adding him to the team?  Or the previously mentioned 27-year-old defender Noah Hanifin who would shore up our D now and into the future.

Good points, but there are all kinds of risks in signing guys to big money, long-term contracts.  Some guys get injured.  Some guys don't age well.  Some guys have a style of play that isn't conducive to certain systems.  Kuzy is only 31, when's the last time he was an effective player??  Signing a big name free agent now doesn't buy us much - we're not close to competing, and one or two guys isn't going to change that.  But the potential downside is huge - what happens in 3 - 4 years when maybe we have a good young core ready to break out, and we're stuck with a dud of a player who is taking up 10 - 15% of our cap space for several more years?

Again, I'm in the camp of doing a rebuild the right way - by taking your licks, stocking up on young talent, and staying the hell away from bloated contracts until you know what you have.  But of course we're not engaging in a real rebuild because the Ovi situation complicates things.  So maybe they'll try to reel in a big fish after all, but I hope they don't.

The Caps dominated The Blackhawks last night! Their next opponent, The Jets, are a different matter tho. Chicago started a rebuild this year and are still looking for pieces to fill out the team.  Winnipeg are established and one of the better teams in the NHL, with some picking them to make make the Western Conference Finals.  While their not the most dominant team they are one of the very good and going to be a big challenge for Washington.  Not to mention, they're coming off a 5-0 drumming from The Canucks so they are going to come at The Capitals with fire, to wash the bad taste out of their mouths.

Loving how awful Pittsburgh is this year. Unlike the Caps, who were simply hoping to squeeze a little more juice out of their aging core (wrong bet), the Pens went all in with the Karlsson trade. Now they're just a dumpster fire, and there are a ton of rumors circulating that Crosby may want out.