Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Just getting tired of the idea that this team can't enter a rebuild while Ovie is chasing the record. I think if I were the GM, I'd tell him "look, if you're going to get the record here then you're going to do it as the leader of a bunch of new and young players. If you're truly great, you'll be able to do it under those circumstances." It's not like it's the team they thought would help him get there anyway. Backstrom is essentially gone, Kuzy is gone, Oshie is almost always out of the lineup with injuries. Orlov has been gone since last year. I'm probably forgetting a few. The team has been steadily declining since winning the Cup, which is now 6 years ago. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

Just getting tired of the idea that this team can't enter a rebuild while Ovie is chasing the record. I think if I were the GM, I'd tell him "look, if you're going to get the record here then you're going to do it as the leader of a bunch of new and young players. If you're truly great, you'll be able to do it under those circumstances." It's not like it's the team they thought would help him get there anyway. Backstrom is essentially gone, Kuzy is gone, Oshie is almost always out of the lineup with injuries. Orlov has been gone since last year. I'm probably forgetting a few. The team has been steadily declining since winning the Cup, which is now 6 years ago. 

Yeah it sucks but we're basically what the SF Giants in MLB were when Bonds was chasing the HR record. 

The good news is, shortly after Bonds retired the Giants became a dynasty. And Ovie's got his Cup so there's no reason to feel bad in that area.

Lets get him that record and then we can rebuild properly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/03/06/virginia-arena-budget-removed-youngkin/

RICHMOND — Virginia lawmakers are poised to strip plans for a new Wizards and Capitals arena from the state budget, which would block Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s best shot at bringing the teams to Alexandria.

In an interview Wednesday night with The Washington Post, Senate Finance and Appropriations Chairwoman L. Louise Lucas (D-Portsmouth) said the arena language will not be in the budget compromise that negotiators will release about noon Thursday.

“They’ve twisted my arm, they’ve bent my ears, and I still told them, ‘No,’” she said.

• Thumb up 1

Only thing we're not "rebuilding" is top 10 talent. Tonight, out of 18 skaters, at least 11 will be considered "young" or prospects. Unfortunately we're just not bad enough to draft that special superstar talent. And I don't see us being there, even when Ovi is gone. We're the 1990-2020 Redskins of the NHL. 😒

Solid return for Edmundson. Always sucks to be sellers, but they're doing the right thing.

I am sure Max, Dowd, and Jensen are being shopped around as we speak.

That being said, it seems to be a buyers market this year. If we can't get much back for Dowd, who is our last valuable trade chip, I am sure they'll keep him, and I think we'd all be fine with that.

• Thumb up 1

Granted, Pittsburgh sucks harder than we do this year, but if we could show this kind of fire more regularly we'd be in a much better spot in the standings.

As bad as this season has been, beating the Pens (assuming we hold on) and Flyers in the same week is very cool.

• Like 1