Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

• 3 weeks later...

4 OTs in the Hurricanes Panthers game 🏒 They really need to go to 4-4 if no score after two overtimes.

Panthers score with 12.7 seconds left. Pretty insane. They def have the psychological edge now.

Edited by abdcskins
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 2

11 hours ago, abdcskins said:

4 OTs in the Hurricanes Panthers game 🏒 They really need to go to 4-4 if no score after two overtimes.

Panthers score with 12.7 seconds left. Pretty insane. They def have the psychological edge now.

Absolutely not.  In the playoffs you do not change the game just to get it done earlier.  It's a 5v5 sport.  I ****ing hated it when the gold medal in the olympics was decided by 4-on-4 hockey.  It's a fundamentally different game when you start taking people off the ice.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/37760407/sources-capitals-hire-spencer-carbery-head-next-coach

In eight years as a head coach at the pro level, Carbery's teams have finished below .500 just once. His best work yet was engineering a 17-game point streak in 2018-19 that took the AHL Hershey Bears from last place to the playoffs. He has been a quick riser after winning ECHL Coach of the Year (2014) and AHL Coach of the Year (2021). Washington wanted to keep him on, but Carbery took an assistant job with the Maple Leafs in 2021. Since Carbery took over running the power play, Toronto has the league's second-best man-up unit (behind Edmonton).

• ixcuincle changed the title to 2022-23 Washington Capitals Thread (Capitals hire Spencer Carbery)

Good hire but meaningless if they don't turnover the roster more. This team is too old, slow and injury prone. Mantha and Kuz need to both go. Have to get younger and faster. Don't love all the moves on defense from the trade deadline but at least it was a partial commitment to get younger. 

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Hersh said:

Good hire but meaningless if they don't turnover the roster more. This team is too old, slow and injury prone. Mantha and Kuz need to both go. Have to get younger and faster. Don't love all the moves on defense from the trade deadline but at least it was a partial commitment to get younger. 

I'd like to see what we can get for Kuznetsov; it would free up a lot of cap space and open up a spot for one of our young centers to play.  Mantha we'd be selling low on.  It sounded like people expected we'd have to pay to get rid of his contract.  With only one year left on the contract, I'd rather ride it out.  Especially since I think he played better than the box score showed for most of the season and I think Laviolette wasn't a good fit for him; Carbery may be able to get more out of him.

1 hour ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

That save and Columbus hitting the post in OT of game three in the first round are the two defining moments of luck in that SC run. I can't think of anything else as far as the other team just missing what likely changes the outcome of a series. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 9:56 AM, Hersh said:

That save and Columbus hitting the post in OT of game three in the first round are the two defining moments of luck in that SC run. I can't think of anything else as far as the other team just missing what likely changes the outcome of a series. 

To be fair, The Save started out as a stroke of bad luck with that weird bounce that lead to the opportunity, though the Knights made a solid play with the back-door pass off of that bounce to make it as dangerous as it was.

On 6/1/2023 at 7:07 PM, PokerPacker said:

To be fair, The Save started out as a stroke of bad luck with that weird bounce that lead to the opportunity, though the Knights made a solid play with the back-door pass off of that bounce to make it as dangerous as it was.

And Alex Tuch gets no lift on the puck at all. Just like Cousins (?) got no lift on the one Saturday night that Adin Hill stopped in a similar manner to Holtby.

Series moves to Miami tomorrow. Do the Panthers bounce back, or does VGK put a stranglehold on this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hockey season isn't quite over yet.  The Hershey Bears are playing in the Calder Cup finals.  After dropping the first two games in the series by way of shut-out for a combined score of 9-0, the bears have clawed back to take the series lead with three consecutive one-goal victories with two overtime decisions including tonight's game where Hunter Shepard pitched a shutout to give his team the chance to win it in OT.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1