Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

5 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Is there an NHL thread?  I searched and didn't see one.

Anyway, the Panthers are beating the Canadiens 7-3, with 2 minutes left in the first period!!!  That has to be a record for combined goals scored in the first period right?

This thread is basically the NHL thread.  Mostly talk Caps, but if anything else is of interest, it's posted here.

• Thanks 1

I really appreciated how the Jackets' defenseman, on Gr802 night, took Ovechkin's pass and put it into the net to make sure Ovi got credited with the goal before Strome could tap it in.

The goal, of course, cements Ovechkin as the player with the most 40-goal seasons in the history of the NHL.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

And we let in a late goal with the netminder pulled then blow it in OT

I think thats the dagger for our playoff chances, if it wasn't there already

11 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I wasn't banking on any playoffs after the trade deadline.  Play young guys and get Ovechkin goals.

You guys with your matching avatars...
Spider-Man Reaction GIF

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Ovechkin scored, Capitals lost.  That's what I want... hypothetically.  I don't like the Penguins winning, but I still want to have that slim shot at Connor Bedard, and we're right on the edge of that position.  Had we won tonight, I believe we'd be in 12th from last place and thus out of position to get Bedard with a lottery win.

Edited by PokerPacker

9 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Ovechkin scored, Capitals lost.  That's what I want... hypothetically.  I don't like the Penguins winning, but I still want to have that slim shot at Connor Bedard, and we're right on the edge of that position.  Had we won tonight, I believe we'd be in 12th from last place and thus out of position to get Bedard with a lottery win.

Yep thats pretty much the best case scenario at this point. I'd love to pair Ovi up with a talented young stud to give him one last shot at a Cup but I think the window might be shut.

Thinking about it though man if it weren't for the 04 lockout and Covid messing up 2020, he might be going for the record right about now if not already have gotten it.

So Kuz asked for a trade a couple years ago and apparently has again. I don't know why an organization would keep someone here when they don't want to be here. 

Also, I bashed that Mantha trade from the beginning and even I didn't think it would be this bad. Good gracious. 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep thats pretty much the best case scenario at this point. I'd love to pair Ovi up with a talented young stud to give him one last shot at a Cup but I think the window might be shut.

Thinking about it though man if it weren't for the 04 lockout and Covid messing up 2020, he might be going for the record right about now if not already have gotten it.

Not just the 04 lockout which cancelled the whole season, and 2020-2022 shortened seasons, but also the 2012 lockout which cut the season in half.  I say he lost about 150 games between all of those.   At his career average pace of 0.6 goals/game thats roughly 90 goals, so yeah he could have very well broken it this year.

But to be fair, Gretzky did also lose a year in the WHA, and also a half year to the lockout (but by that point he was only scoring ~20-30 goals/year)  So it somewhat cancels  out.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

• 2 weeks later...

Officially eliminated from playoff contention today.  

The Red Wings just pulled even with us in the standings.  We now a 5% chance of the #1 overall pick.  Potentially the Flyers and Canucks can surpass us as well

Time to be Crappy for Connor

Edited by DCSaints_fan

On 4/8/2023 at 10:10 PM, ixcuincle said:

Penguins 😂

Speaking of which, guess who lost just to the worst NHL team, with the final playoff spot on the line.

Maybe since the Caps aren't in this year, they figure whats the point.  Everytime the Pens won the Cup, they had to beat the Caps in one of the playoff rounds so ...

Edited by DCSaints_fan