Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Just now, skinsmarydu said:

Hathaway too?  I hadn't seen that...I liked that he was trying to be an "enforcer".  Tom can't do everything.  

Sad to see Hathaway go.  He and Dowd were like Woody and Buzz Lightyear on our 4th line the past several years.

Both guys were unrestricted FAs this summer, so I'm fine with the trade.

2 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I don't like the return for both Orlov and Hathaway, plus taking on a cap dump.  Not a strong return, especially given where Boston's picks are expected to be.

Remember both these guys are unrestricted after this year.  Honestly, I doubt we could've gotten a better haul from anyone else for what amounts to a rental for a #3 d-man and a 4th line forward.

And the cap dump is only for this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Sad to see Hathaway go.  He and Dowd were like Woody and Buzz Lightyear on our 4th line the past several years.

Both guys were unrestricted FAs this summer, so I'm fine with the trade.

Remember both these guys are unrestricted after this year.  Honestly, I doubt we could've gotten a better haul from anyone else for what amounts to a rental for a #3 d-man and a 4th line forward.

And the cap dump is only for this season.

I am aware they're UFAs, but Orlov was far and away the best D-man available at the deadline, and he's a legit two-way hard-hitting defenseman.  Hathaway brings the kind of grit that pays dividends come playoff time.  I figured Orlov to be a 1st and 2nd, and Hathaway to be at least a 2nd.  Add in that we're taking back a cap dump and that's more compensation we should be getting.  And we're retaining 50% of Orlov's salary.

Edited by PokerPacker

Just now, PokerPacker said:

I am aware they're UFAs, but Orlov was far and away the best D-man available at the deadline, and he's a legit two-way hard-hitting defenseman.  Hathaway brings the kind of grit that pays dividends come playoff time.  I figured Orlov to be a 1st and 2nd, and Hathaway to be at least a 2nd.  Add in that we're taking back a cap dump and that's more compensation we should be getting.

Good points, although I disagree that anyone would give a 2nd straight up for Hathaway.  We love the guy because we've seen him play his guts out for us the past 4 seasons, but the truth of it is he's a 4th line player who has 5 points (and a -7) in 24 career playoff games.  The guy has grit, but he isn't Dale Hunter.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Good points, although I disagree that anyone would give a 2nd straight up for Hathaway.  We love the guy because we've seen him play his guts out for us the past 4 seasons, but the truth of it is he's a 4th line player who has 5 points (and a -7) in 24 career playoff games.  The guy has grit, but he isn't Dale Hunter.

I'd still wanna keep him.  He really plays a hard game, and his age is an advantage right now.   (And I really meant the "right now" part.)

• Thumb up 1

Well the good news about Hathaway is that he's a UFA, so we can always bring him back in free agency.  Same for Orlov, but contract negotiations had stalled.  Perhaps when he hits free agency, he'll see that he couldn't get the contract he wanted on the open market and returns to us, but I'm not holding my breath.

4 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Well the good news about Hathaway is that he's a UFA, so we can always bring him back in free agency.  Same for Orlov, but contract negotiations had stalled.  Perhaps when he hits free agency, he'll see that he couldn't get the contract he wanted on the open market and returns to us, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, I hope for that too whenever we trade a good guy on an expiring contract. It usually never works out that way, but it's always possible. 

In what should've been a wake up game with Ovi back in the lineup and two stalwarts traded hours earlier, we instead lose our 6th in a row, this time at home to the worst team in hockey. Yup, the Rock the Red era is done, with nothing left except memories, the hope that Backstrom can finish his career strong, and of course Ovi chasing down the record to cap off an unbelievable career.

Trade everyone you can except Ovi and Wilson and any decent prospect. There's no quick and easy fix to this.  The longer they put off a rebuild, the longer the road back is going to be. Ovi has said many times he doesn't want to be part of one, but that's just tough **** because there's no other way to right this sinking ship.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

In what should've been a wake up game with Ovi back in the lineup and two stalwarts traded hours earlier, we instead lose our 6th in a row, this time at home to the worst team in hockey. Yup, the Rock the Red era is done, with nothing left except memories, the hope that Backstrom can finish his career strong, and of course Ovi chasing down the record to cap off an unbelievable career.

Trade everyone you can except Ovi and Wilson and any decent prospect. There's no quick and easy fix to this.  The longer they put off a rebuild, the longer the road back is going to be. Ovi has said many times he doesn't want to be part of one, but that's just tough **** because there's no other way to right this sinking ship.

The problem is that Ted doesn't believe in tanking/rebuilds. Same problem with the Wiz. Every UFA should go even if you have to retain a lot of salary. Get as many draft assets or young guys as you can. 

26 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The problem is that Ted doesn't believe in tanking/rebuilds. Same problem with the Wiz. Every UFA should go even if you have to retain a lot of salary. Get as many draft assets or young guys as you can. 

Well, he did launch a gigantic tank job in 2004, for which he was criticized heavily but things turned out better than anyone could've hoped for as we wound up with one of the greatest players of all time, a ridiculously talented supporting cast, and a 15 year run of being legitimate contenders. Of course when he hit the reset button he didn't have Ovi chasing down the holiest record in hockey, nor was he selling out the building every night.

Even still, I can't believe a guy as smart as him can't see the writing on the wall. The core of this team is getting older and worse by the year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Well, he did launch a gigantic tank job in 2004, for which he was criticized heavily but things turned out better than anyone could've hoped for as we wound up with one of the greatest players of all time, a ridiculously talented supporting cast, and a 15 year run of being legitimate contenders. Of course when he hit the reset button he didn't have Ovi chasing down the holiest record in hockey, nor was he selling out the building every night.

Even still, I can't believe a guy as smart as him can't see the writing on the wall. The core of this team is getting older and worse by the year.

The most success Ted's had in the NHL or NBA has been the result of getting the #1 pick in a draft. Maybe it's his age but not sure why he won't allow that to happen again. 

• Thumb up 1

After the trade, remaining caps UFAs plus some estimated values:

• Lars Eller: 3rd
  • Connor Sheary: 2nd
  • Marcus Johansson: 3rd
  • Nicolas Aube-Kubel: 6th
  • Craig Smith: Maybe a 7th at 50% retained?  Dunno anything about him, really.
  • Nick Jensen: 2nd and 3rd
  • Trevor van Riemsdyk: 3rd
  • Erik Gustafsson: 3rd
  • Matt Irwin: nothing
  • Dylan McIlrath: nothing

Rumor has it that the asking price for Chychrun is a 1st and a 1st-level prospect, or two 1sts.  For a top-pairing 24-year-old defenseman, that seems pretty reasonable.  Any thoughts on putting together a package for him?  This might be a spot where we could consider trading Connor McMichael, given we still have a glut at Center.  Even if Eller gets moved (likely) and Kuznetsov gets moved (unlikely, but plausible), That still leaves us with Strome, Backstrom, Protas, and Dowd up the middle.  When Backstrom retires that opens up a spot for only one of McMichael and LaPierre, unless we decide to make Protas a full-time wing going forward.

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

After the trade, remaining caps UFAs plus some estimated values:

• Lars Eller: 3rd
  • Connor Sheary: 2nd
  • Marcus Johansson: 3rd
  • Nicolas Aube-Kubel: 6th
  • Craig Smith: Maybe a 7th at 50% retained?  Dunno anything about him, really.
  • Nick Jensen: 2nd and 3rd
  • Trevor van Riemsdyk: 3rd
  • Erik Gustafsson: 3rd
  • Matt Irwin: nothing
  • Dylan McIlrath: nothing

Rumor has it that the asking price for Chychrun is a 1st and a 1st-level prospect, or two 1sts.  For a top-pairing 24-year-old defenseman, that seems pretty reasonable.  Any thoughts on putting together a package for him?  This might be a spot where we could consider trading Connor McMichael, given we still have a glut at Center.  Even if Eller gets moved (likely) and Kuznetsov gets moved (unlikely, but plausible), That still leaves us with Strome, Backstrom, Protas, and Dowd up the middle.  When Backstrom retires that opens up a spot for only one of McMichael and LaPierre, unless we decide to make Protas a full-time wing going forward.

From the athletic:

Coach Mike Sullivan wants Hextall to trade for Arizona Coyotes defenseman Jakob Chychrun, but Hextall has balked at a potential deal because the Coyotes have asked the Penguins to include 2025 and 2026 first-round draft choices as part of any package, according to two team sources briefed on Hextall’s thinking.

3 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Not if we want to fall hard for Bedard.

Wouldn't the Capitals have to loose every remaining game to be in consideration?

They are probably going to collect some more wins before this season ends guessing 

Edited by c slag

21 minutes ago, c slag said:

Wouldn't the Capitals have to lose every remaining game to be in consideration?

They are probably going to collect some more wins before this season ends guessing 

lottery system go brrrrrr!

A team can jump 10 positions by winning the lottery.  Caps currently sit at #11.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Thanks 1