Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

7 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

That was a really nice win. I was so wrong about Backstrom. Said he should retire because of how serious that surgery was. He's not just playing, but well. 

So true on both fronts.  Winning in Boston this season is about as rare as a $3 bill.  Easily our most important victory of the year, IMO.

And Backstrom playing well is huge.  From the minute he came back, everyone keeps talking about how "great Nicky looks".  The truth is, he's had some underwhelming games, and 5 points in 10 games prior to today (including 1 goal, and a minus 6 rating) doesn't cut it for a $9 million forward.  I get it, it's Nick Backstrom, one of the most talented, likeable, and selfless Caps of all time.  The guy could show up on the ice drunk and naked in a Game 7 and score 3 goals for the other team, and no Caps fan would criticize him.  But at the end of the day, you have to produce.  He had a great game today, hopefully a sign of things to come.

Edited by capcrunch98
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

From the minute he came back, everyone keeps talking about how "great Nicky looks".  The truth is, he's had some underwhelming games, and 5 points in 10 games prior to today (including 1 goal, and a minus 6 rating) doesn't cut it for a $9 million forward. 

Is he playing at his all time best? Of course not. But I really thought he'd be a liability and he's not. 

Pitiful game today, and this weekend really shows who the Caps are - a club that has the talent to beat a team like Boston on the road, but also the inconsistency and lack of balls to collect a critical 2 points against a bottom-feeding team at home the next day.  Add it all together, and you get what we've seen the past 4 years: a team good enough to make the playoffs, but doesn't have what it takes to do anything once they're there.

Yes, I know we were playing on consecutive days. I don't care. I can't tell you how many times over the past few years we've played teams who had a game the day before, and by the end of the game the other team still looks fresher and hungrier and comes out with a win against us.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1