Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I'm at the caps game they're up 5 1 

Love it. It's been a brutal 2 weeks for the Caps and the fans, they need this one.

And a game like this will only make the Rangers more desperate to overpay for a Patrick Kane rental.

For the Caps, a win today and tomorrow puts them in the second wildcard spot. I'm not getting carried away - I know this team is flawed and needs a major retooling. But they're not dead yet.

5 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

NO NO NO NO NO. 

Great skater, has been doing everything today. 

Jensen is an unrestricted free agent this summer and could leave for nothing. I like him too, but we're going nowhere this year, and holding onto him for 15 more games accomplishes nothing for us. The only way to build a team in a hard cap era is to sell high on assests when the time is right. And I say this as a season ticketholder who is committed to attending 10 more home games to watch this fading team.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Word out of Buffalo is that we’re looking at Nick Jensen for a 2nd round pick. 

How would you all feel about that?

Any scouting report on him?

Great puck-retriever and mover.  Defensively responsible.  Drives possession.  Right-handed defenseman, which is always in demand.  Great 2nd pairing option.  He's probably worth a 2nd and a 3rd, but a bidding war could take him up to a 1st.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Jensen is an unrestricted free agent this summer and could leave for nothing. I like him too, but we're going nowhere this year, and holding onto him for 15 more games accomplishes nothing for us. The only way to build a team in a hard cap era is to sell high on assests when the time is right. And I say this as a season ticketholder who is committed to attending 10 more home games to watch this fading team.

Clearly, you know more about these things than me...but why would he want to leave?  He's making money with a teammate chasing the all-time goal title and could help him make it.  And he's making a strong case for keeping him today. 

Knowing where your bread is buttered is a good thing.  Sometimes, it's both sides.  

7 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Clearly, you know more about these things than me...but why would he want to leave?  He's making money with a teammate chasing the all-time goal title and could help him make it.  And he's making a strong case for keeping him today. 

Knowing where your bread is buttered is a good thing.  Sometimes, it's both sides.  

Well his value has certainly gone up since he signed his $2.5 mil AAV contract with us.  The question is whether we can afford him now.  But also, another thing to consider is that at the end of the season, he'll be a UFA.  Which means that even if we trade him away, he can sign with any team... including The Capitals.  He could always work out a hand-shake contract with GMBM to go pursue the cup (remember that he wasn't with us when we won, so he doesn't already have his ring) this season, and then sign back on with us in Free Agency.  Everybody wins that situation: He gets to go for the cup, we get picks, and then he comes back to us next season.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Jensen will be 33 before next season starts and this is his last opportunity to get a decent contract. Plus, the Caps need to get younger. Everyone wants to trade players but maybe bring them back for what reason, I have no idea. The Caps haven't been good most of the season and all the UFA are 30+. 

Gotta trade Jensen for whatever you can get. 

Edited by Hersh

Meanwhile the Rangers get Patrick Kane practically for free.  Praying we'll get to see them crash and burn against Boston or Carolina.

Ekholm, who in my opinion Jensen is somewhat comparable to, just brought in a nice haul for Nashville. I'm optimistic we can get a 1st rounder for Jensen, which would be a great return for a guy who is unrestricted in 2 months.

Just now, PokerPacker said:

I don't know what Toronto is doing.  They now have 9 defensemen on their roster not including the two in LTIR.

they picked up a first that maybe they use to package for upgrades. If not, it’s smart to keep the pipeline stocked when you have too many skaters at one position.