Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

I'll miss being in the playoffs but it is kinda nice to take a spring off from having to watch this team gag it up(2018 not withstanding). 

Sucks the window appears to be shut and with a once in a lifetime talent we only got one Cup. But at least we got one...

Time to retool.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Ted isn't going to go full rebuild while Ovechkin is on the team, so sadly that will have to wait.   Its going to be more like a reload

We might have set ourselves up to be more competitive if we essentially punted a few of those years and not gotten desperate at the trade deadline (*cough* Erat for Forsberg).   But all those years of trading picks/prospects left the cupboard bare.  The Cup run in 2018 was a bolt from the beyond.

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

I think there’s a way to get a youth movement underway while still providing ample opportunity for Ovi to break the record.

We just have to find the courage to do it.

100% there has been over the last couple of years and that's entirely on GMBM. He's made some really poor decisions over the last couple of years and signed too many vets, which blocked the path of younger players. The only really good run by the team this season was when a bunch of vets were out of the lineup. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1

Anyone watching playoffs?  Two overtime games on the west coast last night, including that incredible finish to the Oilers/Kings game tied up with 16 seconds left to force overtime.

And then today we watched Samsonov get pelted for 6 goals before getting the hook. Sv% under .800.  Vanecek and the Devils downed, too with Vitek giving up 4, I think.

Now as I'm typing this, Grubauer just got scored on. Sure are a lot of former caps goalies playing today.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Wasn't this the team with the best NHL regular season record ever? 

Yes.

But you have to take into account the new OT rules which have caused point and record inflation.  Boston had 65 wins and won in OT 11 times.  4 of those were shootout wins.  The 95-96 Red Wings had 62 wins.  So if you subtract the shootout wins they had less than the Red Wings.   Also OT was 5-5 back then, compared to 3-3 today.  OT goals were a lot less common

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 1

Blue-chip prospect Ivan Miroshninchenko voided the last year of his contract in Russia and signed an entry-level contract with the Caps.  Would likely have been a top-5 selection if not for the Hodgkin's Lymphoma diagnosis before the draft.  Underwent treatment last offseason and looked pretty darn impressive when he returned.  I think there's gonna be quite the competition for roster spots among the young guys in the organization this offseason.

18 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

But you have to take into account the new OT rules which have caused point and record inflation.  Boston had 65 wins and won in OT 11 times.  4 of those were shootout wins.  The 95-96 Red Wings had 62 wins.  So if you subtract the shootout wins they had less than the Red Wings.   Also OT was 5-5 back then, compared to 3-3 today.  OT goals were a lot less common

A Bruins fan at work was mentioning about how the last 10 Presidents Trophy winners did not win the Cup. I went back and saw that seven of the 10 lost in the first round, two lost in the second round, and one lost in the conference finals. And last year's Presidents Trophy winner was.....the Florida Panthers, with 122 points.  I'm not sure exactly how much roster turnover they had (I think at least 14 players remained from last season) or how injuries impacted them, but there probably wasn't as great a disparity between the Bruins and Panthers as many thought.

3 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Nah…it’s the greatest choke of all time.

Bruins were up 3 games to 1 and then up 3-2 in game 7 at home with a minute left.  It’s generational and there’s no way around it.

I don't know about that - even in terms of hockey, several teams have also blown 3-0 leads.  Most recently the Sharks vs. the Kings in 2014.   The Bruins also blew  a 3-0 against the Flyers in 2010. The Bruins regular season performance is really irrelevant to me.  After several years of the Caps early playoff exits despite being top seeds. I almost gave up on watching regular season hockey because it means next to nothing beyond earning enough points to get in the playoffs.

8 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I don't know about that - even in terms of hockey, several teams have also blown 3-0 leads.  Most recently the Sharks vs. the Kings in 2014.   The Bruins also blew  a 3-0 against the Flyers in 2010. The Bruins regular season performance is really irrelevant to me.  After several years of the Caps early playoff exits despite being top seeds. I almost gave up on watching regular season hockey because it means next to nothing beyond earning enough points to get in the playoffs.

Look, I get that you’re still tender about 2015 even though you really shouldn’t be…the curse is long broken.  But, the Caps losing in 7 in the second round to the eventual champion Penguins isn’t remotely comparable to what happened in Boston the other night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Look, I get that you’re still tender about 2015 even though you really shouldn’t be…the curse is long broken.  But, the Caps losing in 7 in the second round to the eventual champion Penguins isn’t remotely comparable to what happened in Boston the other night.

Halak comes close, though.