Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

3 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

They've made their bed with Ovi, Nicky and Oshie. You can't move/deal/trade those guys cause their contracts are nuts. (They couldn't even move Kuznetsov) Possibly Ovi, due only to him chasing the record, but that aint happening. And even if, it'd have to be to some bottom feeding team looking to fill seats. Nobody good got 9+m in this cap era, to pay to an aging slow forward. Gotta wait this one out, unfortunately. This year and next, we're screwed. 

Agreed.  Normally I'd say Carlson has some value, but at $8 mil for 3 more seasons, we'd be lucky to get a 2nd round pick from a desperate contender unless we ate salary or took on a bloated contract in return.

I could see a team taking a chance on Oshie or Kuzy at the deadline in the hopes they could catch fire for a playoff run, but the return would be minimal.

Nicky's not worth squirrel poop right now.  2 more years of $9.5 mil for his 4th line-esque services???  We'd be lucky to get a ham sandwich in return.

7 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Cut that number in 2 and you're close.  Ovechkin has 822 goals, Gretzky has 894.  72 goals to go.

Oops, I got bad internet info, my bad. Still take him at least 2, and probably 3 seasons to reach that. 

You want to watch this level of Caps hockey for the next 2-3 years? Not me.

Its much too soon to determine what how this team will play this season.  It's a whole new system being installed.

And I think the scoreboard has, thus far, looked worse than the actual team play.  Mistakes are happening, which is to be expected in a new system, and those mistakes are all winding up in the net.  On the other side of things, we've hit a ton of posts and crossbars in this young season.  We've hit more of those than we've hit the net so far in this young season.  That shooting percentage will progress towards the mean over the course of the season and our actual scoring output will begin to resemble our expected numbers, which actually aren't that terrible.

Actual goals so far this season:
3 For

12 Against

Expected goals (according to Natural Stat Trick) so far:
8.09 For
9.46 Against

Need to improve on those numbers for sure, but the sky is not falling just yet.

I've seen seasons where the Caps are at the bottom of the standings in January, and they catch fire and win their division. 

This will not be one of those seasons. This team is old and crappy. Not much in the way of immediate help in terms of prospects (which is kinda understandable considering we've been so good in the regular season for so long, hence not great draft position). Caps management has absolutely no concept of selling high on players, poor ability to evaluate and elevate young talent, and to make matters worse they hand out awful loyalty contracts that prove crippling just a few years down the road.

There's really nothing to look forward to this year:

*Our best prospects are still a year or two away from making the club.

*Management has made it clear their top priority is Ovi's chase for the record. They think it's going to keep fans completely locked in for the next couple years. They're wrong; most fans aren't really going to get excited until he's about 20 goals away, which will be next year at the earliest. 

*Backstrom is absolutely dog crap, I get sick thinking we're paying him close to $10 mil for a couple more seasons. I don't know why so many great athletes refuse to acknowledge they're past their expiration date. It's a disservice to the team, to the fans, and to their legacy. The only thing it's good for is their wallet. I didn't think Nicky was like that.

*Our pie in the sky hopes of Kuzy and Mantha having big bounce back years to either propel this team forward, or bring in a nice haul at the trade deadline if we're sellers, is off to a horrible start.

Yup, it's going to be an awful season. Our window with this current team is completely closed.

39 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

*Our pie in the sky hopes of Kuzy and Mantha having big bounce back years to either propel this team forward, or bring in a nice haul at the trade deadline if we're sellers, is off to a horrible start.

I thought Mantha was still getting healthy scratched? lol  If Kuzy wasn't taking penalties I'd not notice him either, unless he was giving away the puck. Team is in rough shape. Still holding out hope they get a couple "bounces" and loosen up a little. Maybe Shepard makes a couple saves tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, capcrunch98 said:

*Backstrom is absolutely dog crap, I get sick thinking we're paying him close to $10 mil for a couple more seasons. I don't know why so many great athletes refuse to acknowledge they're past their expiration date. It's a disservice to the team, to the fans, and to their legacy. The only thing it's good for is their wallet. I didn't think Nicky was like that.

I agree with a lot of what you said except this. Backstrom isn't a top-6 forward anymore but I never expect athletes to give back money that a GM was willing to give. Dude has helped this team for years. He doesn't owe money back to the owner nor will this impact his legacy as an all-time capital great. 

4 hours ago, BigDibbs31 said:

So many bad contracts too. Going to be a long rebuild

Depends on who the GM is going to be long term. The team is likely to be a bottom-5, maybe even a bottom-3 team the next two seasons. That will had two excellent prospects to go along with Leonard and Miro as a potentially really good/great core. Add that massive amount of cap space they will have in a couple of seasons and a GM with a real vision could turn this team back around quicker than most might think. 

38 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I agree with a lot of what you said except this. Backstrom isn't a top-6 forward anymore but I never expect athletes to give back money that a GM was willing to give. Dude has helped this team for years. He doesn't owe money back to the owner nor will this impact his legacy as an all-time capital great. 

Believe me, most of my anger at this ridiculous situation of paying so much money, for such long term, to a aging guy whose best years were behind him and was already starting to break down (even before the hip injury) is directed at the idiots in management who completely went overboard on the loyalty angle.

Regarding Nick's obligations, you're correct that he has every right to continue to show up and collect the paycheck he negotiated in good faith.  We had the same discussion a few years ago on the Orioles thread regarding Chris Davis.  Similarly, I have every right as a fan to be upset that he's nothing more than a 3rd line player at this point (at best), who is taking up a roster spot and a ton of cap space, and it's so obvious he's lost it.  I'll never boo him (in 40+ years of following this team, I've never booed any current or ex-Cap except Jagr), but I'm definitely disappointed.  He's made over $100 mil as a player.  He'll have his #19 hanging in the rafters a few years after he retires.  He'll never have to pay for a steak dinner in this town as long as he lives.  For fukks sake, just realize you're done and stop embarrassing yourself out there.

5 hours ago, Long n Left said:

You will be kind enough to let me know when to go full Chicken Little, I trust.

Ovechkin had nearly as many shots as the entire Maple Leafs team.  Something is just off.  The shooting percentages are really, really curious.  At 4.12% shooting, only Arizona has a lower shot percentage.  Caps are also in the bottom-10 in Save percentage.  But, at least according to Natural Stat Trick, this isn't just a matter of quality of shots, because in the advanced stats, they have 9.75 expected goals for and 9.75 expected goals against; Even Steven.  I don't think it's possible for this to keep up as it is.

I think there's been some... I don't want to say "chemistry" issues, but I think there's an aspect of guys feeling out the new system from the new coach.  Both being where they're supposed to be and having a feel for where others will be.  I think there's some aspect of miscues leading to golden scoring opportunities against that are being converted, and maybe lack of feel for the system throwing off the timing of plays on offense leading to missing out on our own opportunities.  I don't believe the current product we're seeing is sustainable.  I'm certainly not saying they're an elite team, but they're definitely capable of more than the scoreboard has been showing.

1 hour ago, GoDeep81 said:

I thought Mantha was still getting healthy scratched?

Nic Dowd is an unhealthy scratch

Mantha giving the Caps their first lead of the season.

Wish I had known the Caps were playing the Devils today; I'd have gotten a ticket to the game.  Was in Washington last night and at the game to see Ovechkin finally get his 300th pp goal, then hit the road immediately after the game to drive up to Jersey.

• Thumb up 2