Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

I don't think we have room on the roster for him.  Forget the cap space, where does he slot in on our team?
Ovechkin/Wilson
Milano/Oshie

Johansson/Mantha

Sheary/Hathaway

Protas/Aube-Kubel

Snively

okay, maybe we send Protas down to the AHL when Oshie (returning tonight, I believe) and Wilson (soon) return, since he's waiver exempt.  Maybe we waive Aube-Kubel or Snively if we want to make room on the 23 for Vrana.  Who loses his jersey to get Vrana into the lineup?  1st line is out; that's Ovechkin/Wilson territory.  4th line is out; he can't play that kind of game.  I don't like him for 3rd line, either; he's a defensive black hole.  Only possible spot I see is 2nd line left-wing.  Is he a better option there than what we currently have given his defensive shortcomings?  I don't recall him being a big driver of possession, either; mostly scored on the transition game with his speed.

This is a really well thought out post and I can’t possibly argue against it except to say…DONT STEP ON SNEK!

• Haha 3

With a little further consideration, given the injuries we have endured and continue to endure, Vrana could be an interesting 2nd line alternate in case of another Oshie injury.  With any one of Backstrom, Carlson, or Oshie on LTIR, we have cap space to fit Vrana under the cap.  How many times have we seen our playoff hopes dashed after an unfortunate injury left a gaping hole?  I'm not advocating the move, but would be an interesting idea to claim Vrana as a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency second liner that rides the press-box until needed. That is, if Vrana today is the same player that was Vrana of a couple years ago.  In three AHL games, he's got 0 points and is a -5.

Hypothetical lines if Oshie got hurt and we signed Vrana:

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson

Vrana-Strome-Milano

Johansson-Backstrom-Mantha

Sheary-Dowd-Hathaway

Scratches: Eller, Snively (Protas sent down until playoffs or injuries make room, Aube-Kubel waived)

Edited by PokerPacker

2 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I've had a black screaming-eagle jersey since I was in middle school (early 2000s), and finally there's an official black screaming eagle jersey to make it relevant.

Some of y'all are so young 😄         😢

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

At this rate Ovie gonna break the record in a month LOL

I think half of Ovi’s goals have been scored against the Sabres. He’s a Sabres killer (so is Crosby).

Sabres have finally turned the boat around…. and it’s great to see some good/exciting hockey again. F Eichel.

Edited by Die Hard

3 hours ago, Die Hard said:

I think half of Ovi’s goals have been scored against the Sabres. He’s a Sabres killer (so is Crosby).

Sabres have finally turned the boat around…. and it’s great to see some good/exciting hockey again. F Eichel.

Personally, I'm of the "F the Sabres" mindset in the Eichel ordeal.  He didn't wanted to undergo a surgery that would leave him physically impaired for the rest of his life.

Edited by PokerPacker

24 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Personally, I'm of the "F the Sabres" mindset in the Eichel ordeal.  He didn't wanted to undergo a surgery that wouldn't leave him physically impaired for the rest of his life.

I follow the Sabres pretty closely. And I’m pretty well-versed in Eichel’s situation; especially given the circumstances with a new/untested GM and how he would handle such a delicate situation and franchise-altering course.

Im not going to derail this thread with Sabres info. And you’re entitled to hate the team/franchise for no reason whatsoever. But if that’s your understanding of the circumstances, then you may be lacking a lot of the details. If you care to know, let’s chat via PM.

Edited by Die Hard

2 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I follow the Sabres pretty closely. And I’m pretty well-versed in Eichel’s situation; especially given the circumstances with a new/untested GM and how he would handle such a delicate situation and franchise-altering course.

Im not going to derail this thread with Sabres info. And you’re entitled to hate the team/franchise for no reason whatsoever. But if that’s your understanding of the circumstances, then you may be lacking a lot of the details. If you care to know, let’s chat via PM.

I'm aware that there are extra nuances beyond my summary.  We'll just agree to leave it as a disagreement and move on.  Congrats to Tage Thompson on his hatty.  He really didn't want Ovechkin catching him on the goal-scoring leader-board.

12 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I'm aware that there are extra nuances beyond my summary.  We'll just agree to leave it as a disagreement and move on.  Congrats to Tage Thompson on his hatty.  He really didn't want Ovechkin catching him on the goal-scoring leader-board.

Tage Thompson’s story from when he was traded to the Sabres from the Blues in the O’Reilly to now should be a book.

75% of Sabre fans wanted to castrate GM Adams 3 years ago when he signed him to a 3-year $1.7M/yr extension. 

Late bloomer… and no one saw this coming. Not even a single Sabres fan. But the fans deserve this… but they’re also waiting for the shoe to drop because…. well, because Buffalo.

When Thompson started off the season slow in the first 7-games…. almost all the fans were convinced last season was already a fluke.

Edited by Die Hard

55 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Aliaksei Protas sent down to Hershey

Joe Snively waived.

Why?

Tomorrow night marks the returns to the lineup of Nicklas Backstrom and Tom Wilson.  LET'S GOOOOOOOO!

Really excited for this. Wilson is a game changer when he's on.

As far as Backstrom, I've been very adamant over the past year that he needs to retire. But I was reading an article on ESPN that the type of hip resurfacing surgery he had is fairly new and looks to be promising. Apparently he's been working his ass off on his rehabilitation, so I'm hoping for the best. But to put things in perspective, the article said only two active players had their hip resurfaced - Ed Jovanowski and Ryan Kesler. Neither one ever played more than a handful of games in the NHL again. Hopefully Nicky has a better fate. Best of luck to him.