Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

This would be our first five-game winning streak, if this score holds up, since march 2021 when we won 7 in a row. We didn’t win more than 4 in a row last season 

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Is Gretzky’s goal record a possibility for Ovi?  Would he play 3 more seasons?

I think it is a very real possibility. He’s on pace for 50 goals this season I think, but even if he ends up with a 40-something goal season this year, he’d have….about 70-something goals separating him and Gretzky. He’d only need 2 more seasons, scoring about 40 goals one season then 30-something goals the next. 

21 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

This would be our first five-game winning streak, if this score holds up, since march 2021 when we won 7 in a row. We didn’t win more than 4 in a row last season 

I think it is a very real possibility. He’s on pace for 50 goals this season I think, but even if he ends up with a 40-something goal season this year, he’d have….about 70-something goals separating him and Gretzky. He’d only need 2 more seasons, scoring about 40 goals one season then 30-something goals the next. 

The fact he put up 50 goals in a season at age 36 last year is just crazy.  By that time even Gretzky's production had dropped off to 20 goals/season.  I wonder what the record is for oldest player to put up at least 50 goals (if its not Ovechkin)

Edit:  It should be Ovechkin.  The next oldest is Jagr who put up 54 in his age 34 season.

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Between his age and the predicted decline of our team in general, I really thought his production was going to slow down this year. Having 20+ goals by Christmas is awesome, and it's a reminder we can never underestimate this guy. I see no reason he can't break the record in 3 seasons, maybe even sooner.

39 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Backy in the locker room. He looks like he hasn't been able to work out in a while.

OV is showing no signs of slowing down, but Backstrom is finished as a top-line player. He needs to retire to free up that huge cap space he's eating up. Great guy and great player, he's got nothing left to prove.

9 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Between his age and the predicted decline of our team in general, I really thought his production was going to slow down this year. Having 20+ goals by Christmas is awesome, and it's a reminder we can never underestimate this guy. I see no reason he can't break the record in 3 seasons, maybe even sooner.

OV is showing no signs of slowing down, but Backstrom is finished as a top-line player. He needs to retire to free up that huge cap space he's eating up. Great guy and great player, he's got nothing left to prove.

If I was Backstrom, I wouldn't retire either. I have zero issues with whatever he decides to do. 

12 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Is Gretzky’s goal record a possibility for Ovi?  Would he play 3 more seasons?

It's an inevitability.  If Ovechkin keeps pace this season, he'll need only a hair above 20 goals each over the next three seasons (the rest of his current contract) to catch Gretzky.  At this point, I think the real question is if he'll be able to break 1000.  It's a damn shame he had to deal with the lockouts and covid, or else that wouldn't even be a question.

11 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Let's wait and see what happens when he returns from his hip surgery.

Edited by PokerPacker

Not only will Ovechkin almost certainly eclipse Gretzky, but he could actually do it less games.

Gretzky 894 goals / 1487 games = 0.60 goals /game

Ovechkin 800 goals / 1305 games = 0.61 goals / game

This year for Ovechkinn so far 20 goals / 31 games = 0.65 goals / game (last year 50 /77 also 0.65) so he's recently actually doing even better than his average career pace

But if he maintains his career 0.61 goals / game pace he will only need  94 / 0.61 = 154 games, and he's played in 1487 - 1305 = 182 less games

Edited by DCSaints_fan

4 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

If Backstrom can play he is a third line center simple as that.

Correct.  Even he's admitted that he's never going to be the same physically.  But he's obviously going to give it a try, so all we can do is hope it goes better than expected.  I'm not optimistic, but he's a great guy and I'd love for him to make me eat my words.

• Like 1

Backstrom skating without the non-contact jersey.  Still not imminently returning to roster, but he's progressing.

Zac Fucale (who broke NHL record for shutout minutes to start a career last season) recalled; Hunter Shepard is out after taking a shot off the mask in practice, so Fucale will take his spot on the bench as backup tonight.  As a result, Clay Stevenson, who was a highly touted college free agent we signed earlier this year, will be starting in Hershey with Shepard and Fucale both in Washington.

In net for the Leafs against us tonight: Ilya Samsonov, who currently leads the league in Sv% and GAA suddenly now that he doesn't play for us (good for him, but come on, man, why couldn't you be that guy for us; we believed in you!)

edit: And for bonus Goaltender coverage: Former Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov was famously afraid of bears.  Capitals goalie Darcy Kuemper, on the other hand, wants to bring back the Dinosaurs.

FkHk8pQXwBQ_xcU?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by PokerPacker

Samsonov had a 150+ minute shutout streak coming into this game.  Gustafsson quickly put an end to that in the first period with his first goal as a Washington Capital.  Followed it up with two more to complete the hat-trick en route to a 5-2 win.   Chucky Sideburns had a heck of a game making some tough saves keeping us on top long enough to start to pull away.

T.J. Oshie left the game early after pulling up lame on a non-contact injury.  Looked to be clutching his lower abdomen.  I'm no expert on it, but I'm concerned it could be a sports hernia; an injury that really hurt the careers of Brooks Laich and Mike Green.

Oh, and Ovechkin dumped a guy into the bench real good.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Thanks 1

This team is rolling right now - they've won 6 of 7, with only a one-goal loss to a really good Dallas club and the Caps actually looked like the better team for big stretches of that game. If Lindgren can keep this up,, and we add a healthy Wilson to this group, maybe we can surprise some people this year.