Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

57 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

We could end up in 05-07 territory by the time this year is done.  Maybe worse if we shed some salary at the deadline.

There isn't much to shed unless they trade Orlov or Mantha. Which, if they aren't re-signing Orlov, they should do. There is more pain to come with their unwillingness move older guys the last couple of years. 

Edited by Hersh

4 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

We could end up in 05-07 territory by the time this year is done.  Maybe worse if we shed some salary at the deadline.

I don't think it'll be that bad - that was a full-on tank job to get out of the Jagr mistake, draft Ovi, and then rebuild from the ground up. I hated them for it at the time, but it worked..

They've got enough talent on this team to at least pretend they're competing for a playoff spot, especially when Wilson and Carlson return (I know Carlson is in decline but he's still better than half our blueline) even though I think they'll fall short. The big question is next summer, and what they'll do with all the cap room they'll have. 

11 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Thank goodness for 2018 because the Caps are going nowhere but down for a while 

Yup, and it was inevitable too. Even the Red Wings, who dominated for the better part of 2 decades, eventually fell into a rebuild. Caps have been something special for awhile - playoffs in 14 of the past 15 seasons, including 3 Presidents Trophies and a Cup, but this team is cooked and we've all known that for some time.

That being said, you take players like Wilson, Oshie, Carlson, and Orlov out of the lineup, lose one of your off-season additions (Brown) for the year 2 weeks into the season, and have over $9 mil tied up with a broken down guy who by his own admission will never be 100% again (Backstrom), yeah that's gonna affect any team.

I still have hopes we can pull off a wild card berth, but that's as high a ceiling as this team has.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Part of me hopes we can somehow full on tank and get a high draft pick and pair Ovi with a young stud for the rest of his career. 

I really doubt Ovi would go for a tank job at this point in his career, nor would ownership as long as we're still selling out the building. And even top picks in the NHL draft take years to develop (assuming they don't bust, which many of them do).

Our best bet is for Backstrom to retire, we use all of his cap space (and others who will free up next year) to sign a couple high end FAs next summer, and at least a couple of our young guys step up in a big way (which has yet to happen).

I mean we're missing a lot of good pieces right now due to injury.

Not having Wilson, Backstrom, Oshie, and Carlson (debatable for sure) is a big deal.

Not saying we're making a cup run when they all come back, but the talent is lacking due to injury right now.