Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

I was already familiar with the history of hip resurfacing in the NHL, and lack of careers afterwards, however I read that when it comes to Jovanovski, it was not his hip that caused him to retire but rather that he'd slowed down in old age (he was two years older than Backstrom) and the final year of his contract had been bought out, so he decided to hang it up.  He said his hip has not caused him problems since the surgery.  Given that information, I'm feeling much better about Backstrom resuming his career. https://www.nhl.com/news/nicklas-backstrom-return-from-hip-surgery-familiar-to-ed-jovanovski/c-339560168

Also, doing a quick search on the end of Kesler's career, looks like he was also diagnosed with Crohn's Disease after undergoing the surgery, so I wonder if that played a part in him calling it a career.

Edited by PokerPacker

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

I was already familiar with the history of hip resurfacing in the NHL, and lack of careers afterwards, however I read that when it comes to Jovanovski, it was not his hip that caused him to retire but rather that he'd slowed down in old age (he was two years older than Backstrom) and the final year of his contract had been bought out, so he decided to hang it up.  He said his hip has not caused him problems since the surgery.  Given that information, I'm feeling much better about Backstrom resuming his career. https://www.nhl.com/news/nicklas-backstrom-return-from-hip-surgery-familiar-to-ed-jovanovski/c-339560168

Also, doing a quick search on the end of Kesler's career, looks like he was also diagnosed with Crohn's Disease after undergoing the surgery, so I wonder if that played a part in him calling it a career.

Crohn's is rough.  A co-worker of mine had it back in the 90s, before they have the meds today that can somewhat control it.  He told me that some days he couldn't poop, and other days he couldn't stop. 

Hope Backy is good, and to have Tom back will be monumental. 

13 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Darcy

Darcy

Darcy Kuemper

He makes a our team

A whole lot better

Inspired by KITH sketch 

This season:

Samsonov 14-4  2.18 GA

VV  18-5 2.37 GA

Kuemper 14-11 2.46 GA

Phoenix Copley 12-2 2.59 GA

At least Kuemper has a .920 save percentage which is equal to Samsonov. Something about the Caps system over the last few years has been broken when it comes to the goalies. 

20 minutes ago, Hersh said:

This season:

Samsonov 14-4  2.18 GA

VV  18-5 2.37 GA

Kuemper 14-11 2.46 GA

Phoenix Copley 12-2 2.59 GA

At least Kuemper has a .920 save percentage which is equal to Samsonov. Something about the Caps system over the last few years has been broken when it comes to the goalies. 

Huh?   Vanechek, Samsonov and Copley play for other teams now.  Last year they were pretty forgettable on the Caps, so who's to say its the not the system they're playing in. Right now the choice is between Kuemper and Lindgren.   Lindgren is 2.62 GAA with a 91% SP.  Kuemper is the better option.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

2 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Huh?   Vanechek, Samsonov and Copley play for other teams now.  Last year they were pretty forgettable on the Caps, so who's to say its the not the system they're playing in. Right now the choice is between Kuemper and Lindgren.   Lindgren is 2.62 GAA with a 91% SP.  Kuemper is the better option.

VV, Sammy and Copley all play for other teams now??? (sarcasm)

I was just comparing Kuemper's numbers with recent Caps goalies from prior seasons and pointing out that the Caps system might be a problem considering the success of the other goalies. 

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

VV, Sammy and Copley all play for other teams now??? (sarcasm)

I was just comparing Kuemper's numbers with recent Caps goalies from prior seasons and pointing out that the Caps system might be a problem considering the success of the other goalies. 

I guess this another way of saying that our defensive kinda sucks.  Which I would agree with.  Kuemper bailed us out big time vs. the Isles when they easily could  have put us away with 6 goals.

Sadly I don't think that will be enough for a Cup run, but I suppose anything is possible.

On 1/20/2023 at 12:29 AM, Hersh said:

Something about the Caps system over the last few years has been broken when it comes to the goalies. 

Mitch Korn? Holtby had 1 great playoff run (after pretty much sucking that year) after he left and no Caps goalie has excelled since. It'll be interesting to see if Darcy and Charlie start to decline, the longer they're here.