Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

I enjoy everything I see.  He's truly someone we can look to for his ultimate effort, every game. 

And btw, I don't think he really cares about the record.  He wants to win. 

That Cup meant everything to him. 

Oh, I think he absolutely cares about the record and that is perfectly okay. The record could definitely be a motivating factor to keep going.  Doesn't mean he doesn't care about Cups more. 

• Thumb up 1

53 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Oh, I think he absolutely cares about the record and that is perfectly okay. The record could definitely be a motivating factor to keep going.  Doesn't mean he doesn't care about Cups more. 

Yes, interviews I've read from him, his teammates, and coaches have made it very clear he cares about the record.  He plays it down - probably being modest - but he definitely wants to break it, and he knows it will cement his legacy as the greatest goal scorer ever, although I think he already is.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Hersh said:

Ovechkin is incredible. Of all the **** we have to go through from Washington teams, we are lucky AF to witness everything he's done in Hockey. Not many all-time greats in DC. 

In 3 lifetimes the Caps will never have another player like him. It's not just his greatness on the ice, but also the timing of it. This club was a complete afterthought when he came in.  Aside from the 12,000 - 15,000 loyal fans who dealt with annual spring letdowns and visiting fans overrunning our building (even in the Stanley Cup Finals), nobody else in this town - other sports fans, businesses, media - gave a crap about the Capitals.  Ovi changed all of that.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Would Ovechkin make the top line all time?

I think you have Lemieux and Gretzky for sure, but after that you might want a pure winger with a shoot first instinct.  And his skillset would complement those two pretty well - especially his signature slapshot from the top of the faceoff circle.

3 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Would Ovechkin make the top line all time?

I think you have Lemieux and Gretzky for sure, but after that you might want a pure winger with a shoot first instinct.  And his skillset would complement those two pretty well - especially his signature slapshot from the top of the faceoff circle.

100% he would be on the all-time top line cause of his goal scoring, passing and the physical part of his game.

Definitely Ovechkin and Gretzky on that top line.  Ovechkin has top Left Wing in history pretty locked up.  The real question is who takes the right-wing position?  Center doesn't always translate well to wing, so is Lemieux really a better choice there than every other natural winger through history?  Or even another Penguins center might be a good choice there in *gag* Sidney Crosby, who plays the grinder game at such an elite level, he could fill the puck-retriever and net-front presence role to complement Gretzky's playmaking and Ovechkin's finishing.

24 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Maybe I'm thinking of Federov, even though he wasn't a defenseman. 

Federov wasn't a goon.  And he played for the Caps for a few years.  And we actually did play him at defense at some point.

If you're thinking of elite Redwing defensemen, however, maybe you're thinking of Nicklas Lidstrom?  Don't really think of him as a goon, though.

Maybe Niklas Kronwall?  I think he was known for laying some big head-shots.

Edited by PokerPacker

It'll take me until tomorrow, but I'll call my girlfriend from East Lansing (she's in Denver now).  We watched all of those late 90s/early 2000s games (she loved Mike Modano, I was a Peter Forsberg fan).  She also caught a Gordie Howe puck to her face as a kid, which used to be in a very nice display case in her bathroom when she lived here in ATL.  :ols:  Her mom taught me about how "off-sides" works.  I'll figure it out.  

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Who was that goon for the Red Wings?  I hated him at the time, but he could throw everyone off their game. 

And Ray Bourque.

Bob Probert ?  Yeah if wanted a fighter.  But fighters don’t play the top line. 

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Do you know who Tom Wilson is? 

Can't wait to see him again. 

Wilson is an agitator who occasionally scraps

There aren’t any pure fighters like Bob Probert left in the NHL.  They used to get into 20-30 fights a year.

Wilson’s high is 14 in a season.   And at this stage in his career,  I doubt he gets into kore than 8 or so I a season.  He’s more of a Dale Hunter type.

Bob Proberts last year in the NHL, 2001-2002, he got into 17 fights.  At age 37

Probert is basically the Ovechkin of fighters

13 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Maybe I'm thinking of Federov, even though he wasn't a defenseman. 

Maybe Vjacheslav (sp) Fetisov?   He was a defenseman, but not really a goon if my memory serves

There was also Vladimir Konstantinov.  Both were part of the infamous "Russian Five".  

I wasn't paying attention to their style of play but Konstantinov regularly had seasons with 100+ PIMs, and Fetisov eclipsed that mark a few times.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

5 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Come home, snake.

I don't think we have room on the roster for him.  Forget the cap space, where does he slot in on our team?
Ovechkin/Wilson
Milano/Oshie

Johansson/Mantha

Sheary/Hathaway

Protas/Aube-Kubel

Snively

okay, maybe we send Protas down to the AHL when Oshie (returning tonight, I believe) and Wilson (soon) return, since he's waiver exempt.  Maybe we waive Aube-Kubel or Snively if we want to make room on the 23 for Vrana.  Who loses his jersey to get Vrana into the lineup?  1st line is out; that's Ovechkin/Wilson territory.  4th line is out; he can't play that kind of game.  I don't like him for 3rd line, either; he's a defensive black hole.  Only possible spot I see is 2nd line left-wing.  Is he a better option there than what we currently have given his defensive shortcomings?  I don't recall him being a big driver of possession, either; mostly scored on the transition game with his speed.