Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

12 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

Does anyone else think Potomac Yard is a bad location? I've driven through there a couple times but it's been a while. Looking at a map/google earth, even with proposed development, it will still be limited due to existing homes, neighborhoods and roads. It's essentially isolated with nothing around it. I'm just not seeing any long term advantages.

Edit - honest question, am I wrong on this?

We'll see. I think going and coming from a weeknight Caps game will be difficult on the metro. With Gallery Place you had I think 3 lines passing through. This new place it'll be just the Yellow/Blue longs in mostly one direction, into the city to change to get to the Red, Silver, Orange, and Green.

Like already posted here. That 2nd paragraph from the team in their email was a doozy. "we have reached an understanding for a framework of an agreement" and you have a press conference for that?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Received this email from Monumental Sports. Here it is, in full.  Note the wishy-washy language in paragraph 2 ("eary stages" ... "framework of an agreement" ... "pending approval" ...) which clearly tells us it is far from a done deal.

"Wishy washy" is an understatement. Holy cow! :D

Resources have been put into this proposal, so I'm sure it's way more than a pipedream. Certainly not a done deal, though.

The residents of Del Ray may not like it, but Potomac Yards has been massively underutilized commercially for decades. It's a huge parcel of high-value land and has only gotten more valuable with the arrival of Amazon and ongoing gentrification of both Arlington and Alexandria.

One way or another, something big is going to be developed at Potomac Yards eventually. Politicians like their tax base nice and big, and the city as a whole isn't going to let that grade-A land languish with a Target and a movie theater forever.

Ingress and egress on Route 1 and the lack of good east-west routes has long been a big problem with doing anything sizable with Potomac Yards, but the Metro stopping there makes a big difference. 

Edited by profusion
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

Does anyone else think Potomac Yard is a bad location? I've driven through there a couple times but it's been a while. Looking at a map/google earth, even with proposed development, it will still be limited due to existing homes, neighborhoods and roads. It's essentially isolated with nothing around it. I'm just not seeing any long term advantages.

The location is pretty solid in terms of being near population centers, and the Metro station there is brand new.  The road access is terrible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Metalhead said:

I am literally across the street from the site. Work here. I get zero telework because someone's God hates me. So I'm here every day. There is not much here. But they are constantly building something and one day I'm sure they will fill these buildings with things and maybe even people. 

There are a lot of people that work out here. Lots of cars, traffic and people. Many more now that the metro is here and i still don't know where they are doing. But they are here. Lots of residential currently. I don't expect that to last as they are breaking ground on the areas all around it. Lots of new apartment buildings. Just.....stuff. Tons of stuff and people. But nothing noteworthy, honestly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The location is pretty solid in terms of being near population centers, and the Metro station there is brand new.  The road access is terrible. 

Right this is the better way to say all the subhuman thoughts in my brain - I agree with this.

Traffic is gonna be a huge issue if they dont do something drastic. Getting to 495 is a nightmare from here. 

Ted talking about Mystics moving to Capital One from Anacostia speaks to reality of how many teams he owns and that this doesn't mean Capital One will immediately be torn down.  As usual it doesn't matter what us fans think because this isn't about us, don't get it twisted.

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

I am literally across the street from the site. Work here. I get zero telework because someone's God hates me. So I'm here every day. There is not much here. But they are constantly building something and one day I'm sure they will fill these buildings with things and maybe even people. 

There are a lot of people that work out here. Lots of cars, traffic and people. Many more now that the metro is here and i still don't know where they are doing. But they are here. Lots of residential currently. I don't expect that to last as they are breaking ground on the areas all around it. Lots of new apartment buildings. Just.....stuff. Tons of stuff and people. But nothing noteworthy, honestly. 

Yeah I understand people live there, but that's like anywhere else. I guess I'm just baffled by the location versus where they are now, which is nearly dead-center of the entire DMV and all metro lines converging in that area.

Maybe google earth is not updated then? Because all I am seeing is a couple shopping centers and a Target just south of Reagan. Hell, we have twice as much dead shopping center space in podunk St. Mary's/Pax River. We could build it here and make everyone take the green line instead of yellow/blue lol.

I've been in construction sales for 22 years dealing w/ general contractors and concrete contractors.  I generally see things coming / plans before most of the general public.  The Amazon HQ2 plans for a bunch of buildings in Crystal City was started over the past few years and then has been halted indefinitely.  Met 6/7/8 was built.  1900 Crystal was built and a few others.  Pen Place and the Amenities "building" across from the Pentagon are on hold.  My guess is VA was planning on the revenue from all of these projects that are way behind schedule and they are doing whatever they can to pivot.  Potomac Landing has slowly been growing over the last decade.  It's been interesting to see.  I'd be very concerned about the traffic patterns there.  It is severely congested now.  Be interesting to see what develops.  

As an aside - I can't believe the change by Audi Field at Buzzard Point.  All the building over there is crazy.  Stacks and 113 Potomac are both pretty cool.  Wonder if they will try to figure out how to get rid of the power generation or military base over there so they can expand?

Stay tuned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazon has nearly 10,000 people “reporting” to HQ2 which is ahead of schedule and as long as they live in Virginia the state is capturing the revenue whether they go into the offices via income tax. The lack of development of Phase II impacts the County’s revenue via property taxes. But it’s on pause, maybe indefinitely. But the VT campus is about to open, and this project really completes the development on that stretch between the Pentagon and Old Towne. 

Tough one tonight. It's not just that we lost a point, but the Flyers got 2 points when they would've got none had we held on for the final 3 min. In essence, we lost 3 points to a team we're chasing in the standings. 

Still, the Flyers aren't the dumpster fire everyone thought they'd be this year. Going into their building and taking them to a shootout isn't bad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tshile said:

Doesn’t really matter to me if they move or not, but if they do it’ll be cool to have something different. If it goes there, it could be done very well. 

The optimist in me is saying the same thing, but a lot of us are really going to miss MCi/Verizon/Cap One.  So many great memories at that place.

The thing that irks me the most is there is NOTHING wrong with the current stadium. In the final years of the Capital Centre before the move downtown, it was obvious to a blind man that the arena was well past its expiration date. Capital One Arena is not at that point yet. I go to 30+ Caps games per year, sit everywhere from down low on the glass, Club Level, 400s, and even luxury box when my buddy's firm has extra tickets. I always get the impression of a classy arena with at least 10 - 15 years left on its shelf life. Crazy to think it's going to sit vacant for 90% of the year once the Caps and Wiz move out.

Edited by capcrunch98
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

The optimist in me is saying the same thing, but a lot of us are really going to miss MCi/Verizon/Cap One.  So many great memories at that place.

The thing that irks me the most is there is NOTHING wrong with the current stadium. In the final years of the Capital Centre before the move downtown, it was obvious to a blind man that the arena was well past its expiration date. Capital One Arena is not at that point yet. I go to 30+ Caps games per year, sit everywhere from down low on the glass, Club Level, 400s, and even luxury box when my buddy's firm has extra tickets. I always get the impression of a classy arena with at least 10 - 15 years left on its shelf life. Crazy to think it's going to sit vacant for 90% of the year once the Caps and Wiz move out.

We are in a really odd place right now with stadiums/arenas where all the gorgeous, state of the art stadiums built in the 90s and 2000s are hitting the 25/30 year mark. (Camden Yards is 31 years old, which is kind of amazing).

I assumed that all these stadiums were essentially the final home for all these teams for at least my lifetime. Instead, every owner is going to try to squeeze the local governments for either massive renovations or more likely brand new buildings. 

The Ballpark in Arlington being replaced should have terrified every MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL city.

I can't wait until they implode ATT Stadium in 10 years and build a new 150,000 seat monstrosity based on the Sphere in Vegas.

• Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The Ballpark in Arlington being replaced should have terrified every MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL city.

LKB, was it true that they determined it was more cost-effective to build the new Globe-Life Field instead of putting a roof on the Ballpark?

But yeah, it is crazy. And what about the trend of hockey teams and basketball teams having separate arenas?