Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guice Injury and Med staff

jbird2

So somewhere there was a rumor that Guice was injured before the game began. 

Our best player on D is out due to injury.

TW is continuing to hold out due to issues with Med staff.

We have had a 3 season run of unprecedented, unparalleled loss of players to injury.

At what point does perception and reality combine to force a change with our medical staff? 

Just now, jbird said:

So somewhere there was a rumor that Guice was injured before the game began. 

Our best player on D is out due to injury.

TW is continuing to hold out due to issues with Med staff.

We have had a 3 season run of unprecedented, unparalleled loss of players to injury.

At what point does perception and reality combine to force a change with our medical staff? 

The fact that Guice even played week one in my opinion was just wrong. Have we learned nothing from the RGlll saga? Guice should've been PUP'd for the first 6 weeks and AP should've been declared the workhorse. Week 7, break out the Guice train and mix him in. The whole thing was botched and I know it is the other knee. My real concern is how they just declared Guice the workhorse and then deactivated AP altogether. First, you don't treat a HOF running back that way, especially the way he performed for us last year. He was a stud for us. Second, Give Guice time to show that he is clearly 100% healthy....then bring him in along with Haskins once the season is pretty much lost. It would've been the perfect plan. Let the vets, Case and AP start the season and see how far they can take us, then bring in the kids when they're ready.

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Guice had 12 touches in week 3 preseason and looked great.

Jon Allen got his leg twisted in a scrum and might miss 2 weeks.

I ain't saying it's related, accurate or fair.

I am just saying with all the injury issues speculations, and conversations, how long is it until reality and perception converge?

6 minutes ago, jbird said:

I ain't saying it's related, accurate or fair.

I am just saying with all the injury issues speculations, and conversations, how long is it until reality and perception converge?

Actually, that’s exactly what you’re saying.  Your reality and perception have absolutely converged and now you’re trying to sell it to us.

If you wanna spend Dallas week/week 2 being that miserable...well, that’s one way to live your life.

I am not saying there might not be some issues with the medical staff here, but we also have to remember we, collectively, as Redskins fan are operating inside the bubble of following every detailed bit of injury news on every player to create a narrative.

I am sure fans of other teams do this to every time one of their team's players ends up injured out of nowhere, or missed 3-4 weeks after a seemingly harmless play.

One issue we overlook is that we draft players with injury histories and/or concerns. Our front office tends to give a lot of benefit of doubt that those injuries won't come back to haunt them as NFL players, but they often do. 

6 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

One issue we overlook is that we draft players with injury histories and/or concerns. Our front office tends to give a lot of benefit of doubt that those injuries won't come back to haunt them as NFL players, but they often do. 

I think this is a major contributing factor to the flops and problems.  Guice had an injury history in college and so did Robert Griffin, others as well.  It's like they look for the discounted players in the college injury bin looking for overlooked bargains when drafting.

Well, I doubt its happening the way the OP is thinking.

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it were true.

Whats bugging me is my dog keeps eating his poop, and he's got a nice shiny coat and I'm losing my hair.

So,does he know something I don't?, because he always has that expression that I can't believe its not butter...

58 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I think this is a major contributing factor to the flops and problems.  Guice had an injury history in college and so did Robert Griffin, others as well.  It's like they look for the discounted players in the college injury bin looking for overlooked bargains when drafting.

This is 100% it IMO. We’ve been stuck in that draft spot 9-12 for seemingly ever. The elite of the elite guys are generally taken 1-6/7/8 depending on draft. Next group up? The guys who would be in the elite of the elite group, if not for..... (some risk) that prevents them to jump into upper echelon dispute lots of talent/potential. 

And what happens around here, the national media, etc the last few years? We/they have celebrated our good fortune! “(X player) is a steal at this spot!” “I wanted him at (5 spots higher)” “maybe Bruce DOES know what he’s doing”, etc etc during this entire leadership group. 

And now we have a team of round 1, cornerstone players, that were celebrated as the picks at the time and have flashed tremendous potential. But they had risks. And that’s how we ended up with them at spot 9. Could be all-pro, if not for.....

Thats not to say that’s absolute. Payne is going to be a good one. But I think he may have more fallen into the next tier down in draft- the less sexy or glamorous positions’ top players. Guard, 3t, SS, etc. 

enough rambling. Point is, we have a lot of injuries, because our team is built around guys with injury histories. And those guys will flash just enough potential and we’ll win just enough games to get the number 9 or 10 pick next year, and we’ll draft another one. Because, redskins. 

Medical Staff is flat out horrible.  How long do you need to look back to view a trend...!  It's clear that there's a drastic deficiency and whether it's the Medical Director or a combination of the MRO (Medical Review) process and treatment, it's now sufficient evidence to make drastic changes.  

I have a background in these systems with overseas operations for The state dept and there's no question here that they have every right to make changes if they wanted to.  Total failure at this point as well as a complete loss of integrity at the operations level.  That degree of failure dictates immediate changes need to be instituted promptly.  

These two are a big part of the Redskins medical staff.  Along with many others.  Both have great resumes that represents there skill sets.  The Redskins have the best Orthopedic surgeon on speed dial Dr. Andrews.  I agree with NOCALMIKE.  Football is a violent game.  Take a look around he NFL and look at all the injuries just in the first week.  I do not know if the Redskins staff does anything more or less than any other NFL staff?  

Welcome To The Team, Dr. Robin West!

About Robin West, MD

Dr. Robin West is a board-certified orthopedic and sports medicine surgeon. She joined Inova Medical Group in 2014 and has more than 20 years of clinical experience. As Chairman of Inova Sports Medicine, Dr. West directs the clinical, strategic, administrative and academic affairs of the comprehensive program.

Dr. West currently serves as the Lead Team Physician for the Washington Nationals and the Head Team Physician for the Washington Redskins. She previously served as a team physician for the Pittsburgh Steelers and also served as team physician for the athletic department at the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University. She was an Associate Professor at the University of Pittsburgh and is presently an Associate Professor at the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine and at Georgetown University Medical Center.

Dr. West currently serves on the board of directors of the NFL Physician’s Society and the NFL Scouting Medical Committee. She previously served on the board of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM). She currently serves on the editorial board of Orthopaedics Today and was previously a deputy editor of the American Journal of Orthopaedics. She is an active member in the NFL and MLB Physicians’ Societies, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA), and AOSSM.

https://www.redskins.com/video/welcome-to-the-team-dr-robin-west-17258647

Larry Hess Head Athletic Trainer

Larry Hess is entering his 17th season with the Washington Redskins and his eighth as Head Athletic Trainer in 2018. He previously spent four seasons as the Redskins Director of Rehabilitation (2006-09) after originally joining the club as Physical Therapist/Assistant Athletic Trainer (2002-05).

Hess oversees the team’s athletic training and medical needs and works as a liaison to the coaching staff and front office. In his previous role, Hess directed and implemented the team’s rehabilitation program, ensuring athletes’ healthy return to the playing field and preventing future injury.

In 2018, Hess played a leading role in creating a state-of-the-art recovery center at Inova Sports Performance Center at Redskins Park, visiting other facilities across various sports and continents before implementing his vision for the nearly 2,000-square-foot center in the facility’s southwest corner. The innovative center features a cryotherapy chamber, photobiomodulation therapy bed and sensory deprivation float orbs in addition to a dedicated space for sports vision training.

https://www.redskins.com/team/front-office-roster/larry-hess

Look around the league, teams like San Fran, Atlanta, San Diego, Colts, all getting crushed by injuries and in some of those cases it's to the same player that was injured the previous year.

We can't deny that the FO is drafting players with injury history though, its a fact, they're gambling and it's not working out.

I like to complain about our injuries just like the rest of us. However this falls squarely on gruden. Guice was coming off injury and should have gradually picked up carries. We want to save him for the next few seasons while our young talent develops. 

It it was so obviously to simply run Peterson until the wheels fell off. He put up good numbers and this is his last chance. Ride him to keep us in games with guice to finish them off when everyone is gassed. 

Thus is simply a boneheaded decision from gruden. No way you can convince me otherwise. 

My issue is he left the game to get his knee evaluated. There was clearly a problem if he thought he needed to get his knee looked at. So why in the hell did he go back in. That probably made things worse. If he comes out there and stays on the bench for the rest of the day. Does he only miss a couple weeks? That's my issue with this whole thing. I get that Guice probably said he was fine and could play, but at some point the medical staff needs to overrule him. Guice also said he felt fine last year after he tore his ACL. He's not a doctor and clearly knows nothing when he is hurt. That's where the medical staff failed if you ask me. 

IIRC CT said that Guice was injured coming into week 1.  That's what I suspected, as he just didn't seem to have that same jump or energy.  Sure it was Philly **** Philly good backs can get tough yards.

So he was cleared mid game to go back in. Does is REALLY take a doctor to see his "good" knee is having an issue, to know its not wise to put him back in??? ARG. John Maddening. I am sure someone outside of the NFL world would be suing.

I think its high time to stop looking at doctors resumes and accept the rule is get em ready to go.  Yeah he can bend his knee and he didn't wince. Do they inject in the tent? In some countries guys that get concussed get injected immediately with CBD because it is a good anti inflammatory. We probably give some Tylenol an hour later. By mouth. And then get piss tested for CBD.

We have learned when some guys get nicked up, they can stay in. Others must stay out. It almost doesn't take a doctor to know which of our players should remain on the sidelines after getting injured. I will spare the names, but conversely some guys have already proven a play off is adequate.

Glad to see I am not the only one wondering about what goes on inside what shall now be referred to as, the tent

tent.1501795796.jpg

The gray area with being hurt vs. being injured.  Tons of players come out of the game, get evaluated, and go back in.  There is a lot of gray area between the two things and asking a medical staff to give a proper evaluation in such limited time is not always the best way to go about it, but sometimes it is the only way.  The truth is we don't know exactly when Guice tore his meniscus, we don't know what play it happened.  He could have had some soreness but convinced them he was fine, then went back in and tore it afterwards.  This the NFL we hear stories all the time about players playing through pain and injuries where after the fact you think that would have been impossible to do. 

It's not like the Redskins are hiring unqualified medical staff.

I think another issue is that injuries stand out more in the modern NFL then they used to because the salary cap makes it a lot more difficult to keep solid quality depth on the roster.  If your backups show signs of being able to start, they will leave to get the starting position.  Also you have a lot of depth players that have the ability to play well for a handful of snaps a game when they are asked to come in as a substitution, or maybe they specialize in rushing the passer or stuffing the run, but because they have to now play every play, their weaknesses get exposed and there is nothing that can be done about in-game. (Well, not "nothing" but not a ton, either).

10 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Truth. How quickly we forget that S'ua also went blind while in college.

Archived