Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NCAA Football thread

ixcuincle

Question now becomes: Does the committee jump LSU back to #1, where they should have been all along? Agreed that B1G is overrated this year. OSU is easily the best team there, but like all the others, they have flaws. 

I get that the ACC isn’t great this year, but it still baffles me how the committee has downgraded the defending Natl Champs for one hiccup, that they won anyway. 

Really like to see OSU v Clemson, with the winner to take on LSU for the Natty, as LSU will **** slap Oklahoma.

40 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Question now becomes: Does the committee jump LSU back to #1, where they should have been all along? Agreed that B1G is overrated this year. OSU is easily the best team there, but like all the others, they have flaws. 

I get that the ACC isn’t great this year, but it still baffles me how the committee has downgraded the defending Natl Champs for one hiccup, that they won anyway. 

Really like to see OSU v Clemson, with the winner to take on LSU for the Natty, as LSU will **** slap Oklahoma.

Agree. LSU and Clemson are the best teams imo. Shame if they have to meet in the semi-final. 

Clemson is the best team IMO.  LSU's defense just isn't that good.  Shutting down a Georgia offense with a broken passing game and an injured Jake Fromm doesn't prove that LSU's defense figured things out.  Ohio State is good in every area, but they don't have anywhere close to the same caliber of passing game weapons that Clemson and LSU and Oklahoma do and Fields is the shakiest QB in the playoff.  He's still playing through a straw.

Clemson has a little bit of everything.  Senior laden offensive line.  Awesome weapons.  Spectacular QB.  NFL talent in the secondary.  And a good front that has been clean and aggressive most weeks.  Simmons is a major weapon for them.  Him on Justin Jefferson in an LSU match up is a win for Clemson, which is not something that LSU has dealt with this season.

The season played out in such a way that the best four teams found a way to get in.  Alabama with a healthy Tua would have been fourth, but that didn't happen.  Oregon should finish ranked fifth IMO.  That late stumble against AZ St cost them way too much in the rankings. That is a good team that can hang with the good SEC teams.

We need some more spicy takes in here.  Conference championship weekend playing out chalk ruined our conversation for the week.

This hot take is my contribution: Oklahoma's defense wants to play physical and be bullies, but they don't know how.  They overcompensate with some stuff that is just knuckleheaded.  It's a team-wide thing too, not just Kenneth Murray.  My theory is that they feel neglected by Lincoln Riley and they're trying to get his attention.

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We need some more spicy takes in here.  Conference championship weekend playing out chalk ruined our conversation for the week.

This hot take is my contribution: Oklahoma's defense wants to play physical and be bullies, but they don't know how.  They overcompensate with some stuff that is just knuckleheaded.  It's a team-wide thing too, not just Kenneth Murray.  My theory is that they feel neglected by Lincoln Riley and they're trying to get his attention.

I'm guessing an LSU-Clemson final, which isn't really a reach.  Leading up to the Penn State - Ohio State game (one of the times I really pay a lot of attention to Ohio State) the general consensus was the only way Ohio State would lose would be turnovers (which happened) or one of the few weaknesses the team showed, which is that as good as Fields is as a QB, he holds onto the ball too long.  It bore out to some degree, he got sacked a few times and fumbled a few times, but Penn State wasn't talented enough to take full advantage.

I'm guessing Clemson is going to hit him a lot and he'll make a few mistakes.  As good as Ohio State's defense is, I'm envious of how much offensive talent Clemson has. I don't think it will be 31-0, but I wouldn't be surprised if Clemson won by 10 points or so, a 34-24 type game.

I don't think Oklahoma can hang with LSU.  The top three teams are pretty clear at this point.

I wanted nothing more than Jalen Hurts to dance all over Bama in a playoff game. Oh well. I don’t think LSU has faced a team as explosive as OK so I think it will be a good game. 

I’m pretty happy with the matchups and they got the right 4 teams in. 

I hope Clemson pulls it out again. I love seeing their renaissance and I want to see Lawrence go for a 3peat next year 

18 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I wanted nothing more than Jalen Hurts to dance all over Bama in a playoff game. Oh well. I don’t think LSU has faced a team as explosive as OK so I think it will be a good game. 

I hope Clemson pulls it out again. I love seeing their renaissance and I want to see Lawrence go for a 3peat next year 

Texas did give LSU trouble in the 2nd half. Although i think LSU vs Texas and OU vs Texas is hard to compare. LSU played them early in the season and of course the Red River rivalry is a different game entirely. 

OU's defense really closed out the season for them, This isn't the explosive offense it was with Murray and Baker. Stop Hurts from running (which no one has been able to do) and that might collapse the entire OU scheme. 

I was a lot more optimistic about OU's chances last year. 

On 12/10/2019 at 10:37 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Thanks to the playoff format, that's an easier feat than ever before.

That being said, "Burreaux" just has that look right now, man. 

• 3 weeks later...

Was happy to see Penn State win earlier even though it isn't close to the most important game today.  Was hoping to be entertained tonight.

This has been a disaster but I saw it coming a mile away.  There was a clear top 3 this year.  It wouldn't have mattered if this was Oklahoma, Oregon, Wisconsin, Penn State, or Baylor...LSU was going to do this to any of them.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Ryan Day complaining about a targeting call heading into the half is not a good look.  Makes him sound shook.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I hate the targeting rule in college. There are obvious dirty plays that deserve a penalty and ejection. There was one early in the LSU-OK game. I just hate how legit football plays are subjected to review and targeting. It seems like every game I watch I see one of those calls that just has me shaking my head. But as a fan, I can do that. Day is the head coach and has to lead his team past that. Like you, I get the feeling he will be focusing on that call the rest of the night. And the reality is he knows the rules and how they call these targeting penalties, so he should understand this is how it’s called. He better let that one go or he’s going to be in for a long 2nd half.

Archived