Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NCAA Football thread

ixcuincle

Man do I wish Penn State hadn't dropped that Minnesota game.  Based on Strength of schedule, Penn State had played the hardest scheduled in the country before they played Rutgers today.  A (relatively) close loss to Ohio State would have been their only blemish.  They'd definitely be in at this point.

Sigh, next season.

4 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

committee will probably find a reason to put them in at #4.  Probably drop to #6, then slide in at #4.  Until they officially are not in, I have zero faith.

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

this is premature. They’ve been in with 2 losses and not even winning their division before. 

The showed some analytics in one of the later games that showed the probabilities of making the playoff for various teams.  Alabama's was 1.4%, not zero, but highly unlikely.  

4 hours ago, Forehead said:

Man do I wish Penn State hadn't dropped that Minnesota game.  Based on Strength of schedule, Penn State had played the hardest scheduled in the country before they played Rutgers today.  A (relatively) close loss to Ohio State would have been their only blemish.  They'd definitely be in at this point.

Sigh, next season.

Based on an overrated as Hell Big 10.

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

And Tuscaloosa is in Alabama, your point?

Alabama has much nicer weather and facilities and is only a few hours away from many big cities like Atlanta and the beach. 

they aren’t comparable. I can’t imagine any high school kid that has a lot of options would want to freeze their ass off in flyover nowhere Nebraska 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Alabama has much nicer weather and facilities and is only a few hours away from many big cities like Atlanta and the beach. 

they aren’t comparable. I can’t imagine any high school kid that has a lot of options would want to freeze their ass off in flyover nowhere Nebraska 

I'd say Nebraksa has much nicer weather for the majority of training camp and football season.    I'll trade 85 degrees in August/September and 40 degree temps in November vs. a very ****ty 95 degrees in August/September and 70 degrees in November.

On 12/1/2019 at 12:45 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Based on an overrated as Hell Big 10.

Eh, I hear this a lot.  The ACC is recently middling to bad other than Clemson, the PAC-12 has worse competition overall than everyone else (only three Pac 12 teams even have winning records, they can't even beat their OOC opponents), and the Big-12 has some good teams but is a conference averse to defense.  I'm aware the SEC has been the standard in recent memory, but the Big 10 has held its own otherwise.  Luckily we have bowl season to sort this out, as much as anything can be answered after teams haven't played for several weeks.

Ohio State has a legitimate shot at the NC and the Big 10 and SEC usually have a handful of match-ups in bowl season to see how things stand.  In the last five years, the Big 10 is 26 - 22 in bowl games, though only 7 - 11 against the SEC.  That puts them at 19 - 11 against everyone else. I'd imagine that's one of the better percentages among the major conferences.

And yes, I went ahead and checked because I was interested.  Overall in bowl games the past five years.

SEC: 33 - 26, 55.9%

Big 10: 26 - 22, 54.2%

Big 12: 18 - 17, 51.4%

ACC: 27 - 27, 50.0%

Pac 12: 19 - 22, 46.3%

No, I didn't find out what everyone else was if you take out SEC matchups, this took long enough as it was.  I think the Big 10 is properly rated, they're always a pretty solid conference, at least the top 5-6 teams, but aren't at the level of the SEC until they win a few national championships consistently.  I don't think you can put anyone else ahead of them though.

Archived