Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Robert Mueller's congressional testimony.

Cooked Crack

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

I don't think he's used to having the spotlight on him. I feel bad.

He was FBI Director though. I heard somebody say he's testified before Congress something like 80 times.  Now, I'll grant this might be the most intense spotlight, but this isnt his first rodeo. 

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Looks like he has no interest in anything other than getting this over with.  It's clear from his answers and his body language.  I'm turning it off.  

I’m assuming his prep was:

this is going to go one of two ways

they ask me questions and let me talk

they read prepared statements (which means there is no testimony really going on) and try to play semantics. 

Unsurprisingly its the second. Which makes this a complete waste of time. 

This is our government at work. Something serious is treated essentially as a joke. 

The dead giveaway for me that Mueller just wants this to be over is that at least 4 Congresspeople's testimony has followed this pattern:

Congressperson reads a snippet from the report.

Congressperson says "it seems to me " which is followed by the spin/talking points from either side.

Their monologue goes on for their entire 5 minutes, Mueller has no chance to speak.

Mueller does not ask to respond or correct the record, he just looks up to Nadler to see who is next.  

The GOP's questioning so far is a mix of:

"This is the way Ken Starr did it, why didn't you do it like that?"  (aka approach the investigation as a partisan.)

"Wasn't it really Hillary who colluded with Russia?"

Mueller looks highly dis-interested in taking questions from either side. This has been underwhelming thus far. 

Did anyone actually think this was going to be anything more than a large waste of time?  He gave his report, he then stated he will not testify and everything is in the report.  Yet he was called to testify anyway, and he's not providing anything?  I mean, just is a huge waste of time.

1 minute ago, superozman said:

Did anyone actually think this was going to be anything more than a large waste of time?  He gave his report, he then stated he will not testify and everything is in the report.  Yet he was called to testify anyway, and he's not providing anything?  I mean, just is a huge waste of time.

Do you think Trump obstructed justice?

It’s **** like this that makes me think Trump is gonna win re-election.  He doesn’t have to do anything other than watch Democrats shoot themselves in the foot.

There is no big momentous candidate from the left.  There’s a bunch of these people.

So being on the west coast I started tuning in approx 6:00am-ish PST.....(9am ES)  How much did I miss?  

The only thing I am really hoping for all of this is Mueller saying his intention was to have Congress review the 10 potential incidents of obstruction to make a determination if it raises to the level of impeachable offenses.  

Other then that this is just theater for the most part. 

Just now, NoCalMike said:

So being on the west coast I started tuning in approx 6:00am-ish PST.....(9am ES)  How much did I miss?  

The only thing I am really hoping for all of this is Mueller saying his intention was to have Congress review the 10 potential incidents of obstruction to make a determination if it raises to the level of impeachable offenses.  

Other then that this is just theater for the most part. 

He’s had ample opportunity to say that already and has not.

Just now, NoCalMike said:

The only thing I am really hoping for all of this is Mueller saying his intention was to have Congress review the 10 potential incidents of obstruction to make a determination

No one has even asked him that. The most is we've got is this is not total exoneration.

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

He’s had ample opportunity to say that already and has not.

4 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

No one has even asked him that. The most is we've got is this is not total exoneration.

We had one Congressman grandstand that Mueller was not allowed to produce a report about the 10 instances of possible obstruction once he determined that he couldn't prosecute them.  He said something to the effect to the President may not be above the law, but he DAMN SURE isn't below it.  Then he slammed the report on the table in front of him.  Getting angry and acting like Trump is the victim is DEFINITELY going to play well in Oklahoma.   Mueller might as well not even be in the room.  

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

He said something to the effect to the President may not be above the law, but he DAMN SURE isn't below it.  Then he slammed the report on the table in front of him.  Getting angry and acting like Trump is the victim is DEFINITELY going to play well in Oklahoma.   Mueller might as well not even be in the room.  

Audience of 1.

Working in government, I should probably know this, but can anyone explain to me exactly what power Congress really has here?

I ask because I remember when they hauled that PharmaBro guy in over the drug price hikes, he basically laughed at and mocked them, and nothing really happened to him.  I mean, I know he's in jail now, but that isn't because of what he did during his testimony.

If Mueller gets fed up, can he just essentially say "**** it" and leave?  They could "hold him in contempt" but as we've seen recently with Barr and Ross, that doesn't seem to mean anything either.

Where the Dems are going wrong (IMO) is when every time Mueller says "I refer you to the report" they should be reading from the report.  The fact is 50% of people tuning into this testimony have not read the report or heard anything about any of this stuff.  "I refer you to the report" is going to spell things out for the people who don't already know the contents. 

Oh lawd, here comes Gym Jordan.

So I understand that I shouldn't pass along my feelings for an adult onto their kids.

That being said, I'm a Penn State wrestling fan.  Jim Jordan's family has wrestled for Ohio State and Wisconsin.  I've enjoyed watching the team I support tie his kids into knots over the past several years.  

Archived