Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

53 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I wonder if signing Penn will have any effect, positive or negative, on Trent and his views on coming back. One one hand I could see him saying to himself "Looks like they're serious about letting me sit out, maybe I should rethink this", but on the other he could be saying "Screw that, they already got someone else...obviously they don't want me that bad. I'm not going back". 

And give up $16M?  I'm a pretty principled person, even stupidly defiant and spiteful, but I'd be damned if I'd give up on $16M to stick it to the Redskins medical staff.  Even if he's gotten $96M in salary to date, he probably netted less than 1/2 of that, after agent fees and taxes, so it's not like he's Bill Gates well off.  Who knows how well he's managed his money over the years?

2 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Assuming Trent will not play. How does Penn/Robinson w/ the rookies stackup in the NFCE. Average..better than average? With our RB's being above average, has Bruce mitigated a blown season? And what happens to our Cap if Trent shows and the Penn $$ are 5 mil...only 5 mil for injuries? Do we now have a potential cap problem looming?

We just saved 4m by releasing Foster, so if Penn gets 6m 1 year deal it's only 2m hit. 

HTTR 

43 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

For all we know, Trent could have managed his money extremely well and prepared himself for something like this, and is financially ready to not play another down.

I actually really hope this is the case. It's sad to see so many young men mismanage their money after they get into the NFL and end up broke once their football careers are over. 

46 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I actually really hope this is the case. It's sad to see so many young men mismanage their money after they get into the NFL and end up broke once their football careers are over. 

I am sure he has managed his finances just fine.  But turning down $16 million is turning down $16 million.  He will never see that kind of money again in his life.  There's no way he sits out this entire year.

7 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Correct.  We needed to draft Trent's replacement in 2018.  You don't wait until the starter falls apart (or quits) before deciding to address an obvious problem position.

Not really sure what you are (or were?) expecting. Even if the Redskins ignored value and just had to take a LT in Round 1 in 2018 (all other players be damned), the best option would have been Kolton Miller. He struggled as a rookie. Doesn't mean he's a bust, but doesn't mean he's a solution either. Isaiah Wynn was the next tackle off the board, but he was injured all year. 

When people say the team "had" to take a specific position in a specific draft, I feel like people act like it's as simple as going to the grocery store and picking an item off the shelf. It's not. And really, lets be honest here, would you really want Kolton Miller over Daron Payne? Rather create two holes than solve one?

7 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Correct.  We needed to draft Trent's replacement in 2018.  You don't wait until the starter falls apart (or quits) before deciding to address an obvious problem position.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Pro_Bowl

Follow this link please.  Then look at the tackles for both conferences

There are 8 tackles besides Williams, counting alternates.  Four are older than him, and one his age

30 going on 31 is not old for an OT in this day and age.  Add that age to two years left on a contract and you get a wasted pick unless you get someone who could play LG for a bit then move outside in a few years

1 hour ago, carex said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Pro_Bowl

Follow this link please.  Then look at the tackles for both conferences

There are 8 tackles besides Williams, counting alternates.  Four are older than him, and one his age

30 going on 31 is not old for an OT in this day and age.  Add that age to two years left on a contract and you get a wasted pick unless you get someone who could play LG for a bit then move outside in a few years

31 is nothin for an OT...Bruce Matthews played till he was 40 didn't he ? 😄

I feel a little more at ease with penn coming in..with him coming in I am more convinced now that tw wont be back and will see him traded to someone..with that said...

Just maybe..maybe colt catches on fire or case and they find there grove and reed is healthy having a good camp, him and Vernon and sprinkle can contribute as well as Peterson and guice..a positive showing by Thompson and with a top 15 defense the skins could make some noise. I still have them upsetting the pheagles game 1.

9 hours ago, Peregrine said:

If anyone thinks us signing two tackles that no one else in the league wanted is keeping Trent up at nights, then they are pretty naive.  He knew full well that the team is capable of signing backups off the street and considered that when he decided to hold out.  That isnt a surprise to anyone and it doesnt change anything, and absolutely nothing hes going to do from here on out will be influenced by that.

And if he holds out the whole year, then its pretty obvious money doesnt even factor into his decision making.

Last time I checked Trent wasn't on the Super Bowl winning team last year. There are better tackles in Pro Football.

1 hour ago, Ghedrick said:

Whitworth for the Rams is one of the bestLT in the league and is 37.

I agree that can be the case with some LTs. With that being said I don't trust Trent to be able to play that long. Personally he's not worth the risk to extend. Compare Whitworth and Trent. 

Whitworth stays healty 

http://www.nfl.com/player/andrewwhitworth/2495977/careerstats

Williams not so much. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/trentwilliams/497073/careerstats

Penn has been pretty damn healthy throughout his career as well. The last year and a half is when he's been hurt. Hoping that's behind him and not a age thing.

http://www.nfl.com/player/donaldpenn/2506706/careerstats

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

I feel a little more at ease with penn coming in..with him coming in I am more convinced now that tw wont be back and will see him traded to someone..with that said...

Agreed and they're looking at another linemen as well. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/30/washington-works-out-hugh-thornton/

14 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Agreed and they're looking at another linemen as well. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/30/washington-works-out-hugh-thornton/

They will continue to work out lineman, and they're not necessarily for an immediate signing, or a remedy to Trent's situation.

It's actually common practice and precautionary in case they need them during the season.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

They will continue to work out lineman, and they're not necessarily for an immediate signing, or a remedy to Trent's situation.

It's actually common practice and precautionary in case they need them during the season.

Well this really has nothing to do with Trent, because he is a guard. 

Trent, because he is a guard?

OK lets stick his ass at guard. I like this: 

Penn Trent Chase Scherff Moses

It's awake?

AmusingTimelyHart-size_restricted.gif

By the way, Donald Penn is a badass that doesn't take any crap from punks. He was a Raider. Nuff said.

10 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

There’s been hubbub about moving Trent to Guard for a couple years now.  As a means to extend both his career and usefulness.

I don't know playing inside will prolong his career but it sounds good to me.  He won't have to jog out as far from the huddle? He will face more stout / less speed... whatever he does fine inside. It comes down to finding the best 5.

Adding 2 vet tackles in the past 2 days, may vault tackle to the OL position of strength, even without Trent. If any of the tackles can move inside, they may be better than what we have.  It's almost like we have no left guard.  We waited for the Flower to predictably wilt outside, but then now expect him to hold up at a different position? Talk about a recipe for failure. If he had solid potential at G he would have been a guard by now on another team, and not on the scrap heap.

Penn + Moses + Richmond >> Brandon and VACANCY

Our situation at LG may suddenly be more dire than at LT.

19 hours ago, Unbias said:

So for those that are still thinking it's about the money: 

June 5th - Jason La Canfora reports that Trent has demanded to be released/traded and that the reason was largely medical - Not regarded as a 'fact'.

June 7th - Bruce Allen only says that he knows what the truth is with Trent.

July 28th - Deangelo Hall says Trent Williams holdout is not about money and wants the training staff fired.

July 30th - Ian Rapoport discussed Penn signing that he wanted a starting gig and that the situation is based on something medical and the solution includes more money. 

We have multiple people saying things that align with a medical mishandling (according to Trent's side). 

I'd add Santana Moss to that mix.  He said on a Training Camp show which I just watched that he talked to Trent and his story brought him to tears and the issue with Trent isn't the money.  Then he and the co-host got into the idea that Trent wants the training staff fired.  I recall someone else said the same thing.

I am not camped in one theory or another since Trent himself hasn't talked about this.  So I don't know.  But there definitely is at least a possibility that the train is driven by the medical thing.  In my mind, weeks back I thought it was the money.  But lately the medical stuff narrative seems alive in some corners so I gather there is a chance it's true. 

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add Santana Moss to that mix.  He said on a Training Camp show which I just watched that he talked to Trent and his story brought him to tears and the issue with Trent isn't the money.  Then he and the co-host got into the idea that Trent wants the training staff fired.  I recall someone else said the same thing.

I am not camped in one theory or another since Trent himself hasn't talked about this.  So I don't know.  But there definitely is at least a possibility that the train is driven by the medical thing.  In my mind, weeks back I thought it was the money.  But lately the medical stuff narrative seems alive in some corners so I gather there is a chance it's true. 

Santana was on with Doc last week and said the same thing, only that he told him to go directly to Dan about the scenario, because that’s the only way this situation gets repaired.

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Santana was on with Doc last week and said the same thing, only that he told him to go directly to Dan about the scenario, because that’s the only way this situation gets repaired.

Yeah I was just listening to JP Finlay.  He was a bit all over the place but among the things he suggested is ownership and Trent are close.  He said his source in the FO told him they want Trent but Trent has to want them back. 

14 hours ago, Tedskins 21 said:

I am sure he has managed his finances just fine.  But turning down $16 million is turning down $16 million.  He will never see that kind of money again in his life.  There's no way he sits out this entire year.

Unless......its not about the money.

11 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Last time I checked Trent wasn't on the Super Bowl winning team last year. There are better tackles in Pro Football.

Hahaha, so this was complete nonsense.  What does any of that have to do with what I said?  Why was it a reply?

Archived