Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

No f'ing way do you do that. With how Trump couldn't contain himself yesterday. You keep going slowly because he's going to do it again. Then you're forcing his defenders to talk about his tweets and not staying on script. You need Holmes to speak publicly. If you can get Parnas also, you need that too. He's admitting to meeting with Trump and Rudy to run a secret extortion plan on another country.

Yeah the Dems have actually been decent recently at giving the GOP, especially Trump, just enough rope to hang themselves and then pouncing. And now that Trump has been told by people to not do that tweet **** again and that it was stupid (even by GOPers) you KNOW that will make him want to do it even more. 

As far as Parnas, I think he could potentially be a big time witness if they can get him in time. Apparently he's indicated that he's willing to talk to them and testify. Talk to the prosecutors and get his ass in there.

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah the Dems have actually been decent recently at giving the GOP, especially Trump, just enough rope to hang themselves and then pouncing. And now that Trump has been told by people to not do that tweet **** again and that it was stupid (even by GOPers) you KNOW that will make him want to do it even more. 

As far as Parnas, I think he could potentially be a big time witness if they can get him in time. Apparently he's indicated that he's willing to talk to them and testify. Talk to the prosecutors and get his ass in there.

The GOP has this idea that they will slow roll this in the Senate to mess with the Dem primary. Meanwhile. the Senate doesn't even have it yet. The House should slow roll this so by the Senate sets this, it's so ugly that they GOP over there are too busy fighting for their own political lives and not having time to **** with a Dem primary.

This isn't that hard to map out. Like you said @mistertim - Let Nunes and Jordan just drive as long as possible. 

9 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

The GOP has this idea that they will slow roll this in the Senate to mess with the Dem primary. Meanwhile. the Senate doesn't even have it yet. The House should slow roll this so by the Senate sets this, it's so ugly that they GOP over there are too busy fighting for their own political lives and not having time to **** with a Dem primary.

This isn't that hard to map out. Like you said @mistertim - Let Nunes and Jordan just drive as long as possible. 

I'm still a tad confused as to exactly how the Senate thinks this will mess with the Dem primary, especially with how poorly this is going for the GOP so far, with more and more revelations coming out. If anything I'd be inclined to think it could be the opposite. Dem candidates making a case for how Trump is shredding our entire system of governance while in the Senate witness after witness is literally saying the same thing under penalty of perjury. 

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm still a tad confused as to exactly how the Senate thinks this will mess with the Dem primary, especially with how poorly this is going for the GOP so far, with more and more revelations coming out. If anything I'd be inclined to think it could be the opposite. Dem candidates making a case for how Trump is shredding our entire system of governance while in the Senate witness after witness is literally saying the same thing under penalty of perjury. 

But in the Senate, they won't be.  

In the Senate, the witnesses will be Hunter Biden, being questioned about whether his father helped him get a job.  And whether he is actually qualified for the salary he got.  

They'll have the whistleblower in, to testify that he spoke to the staff of a Dem Congressman prior to filing the whistleblower complaint.  And whether he personally heard any of Trump's phone call.  

And probably about whether the whistleblower has even "read the transcript".  Or knows how to make Super Iron Thermite.  Or where Hillary hid the 30,000 pieces of classified emails.  

14 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Arguably it would advantage Biden to have the Senators stuck in DC, and Trump's concern about running against Biden is what got us here in the first place.

42 minutes ago, Larry said:

But in the Senate, they won't be.  

In the Senate, the witnesses will be Hunter Biden, being questioned about whether his father helped him get a job.  And whether he is actually qualified for the salary he got.  

They'll have the whistleblower in, to testify that he spoke to the staff of a Dem Congressman prior to filing the whistleblower complaint.  And whether he personally heard any of Trump's phone call.  

And probably about whether the whistleblower has even "read the transcript".  Or knows how to make Super Iron Thermite.  Or where Hillary hid the 30,000 pieces of classified emails.  

Good point. Though in the senate there's also a vote on what the rules will be regarding subpoenas, who can call witnesses, etc. Unlike in the House, the Senate is in a precarious position there because of their much smaller number of members. All it would take is 3 Republicans refusing to vote for a crappy set of rules and they'd be at a deadlock (from what I've read the VP cannot break ties in the Senate for impeachment related matters), and I think there will be at least a hand full of R Senators who won't want the entire thing to look like a joke. So I have a feeling that they'll have to negotiate a situation where the rules are fair to both parties. In that situation sure the Republicans may be able to call completely off the wall witnesses, but the Dems would also be able to call whatever witnesses they want as well.

22 minutes ago, mistertim said:

One thing that the Trump presidency has really brought to light vividly is that "the swamp" is 100% REAL. The only problem is that, despite saying he went there to drain it, Trump and his cronies have been an integral piece in making the swamp worse by about 1000%. 

As is the deep state. It’s just the people giving money to the GOP though and it’s all out in the open.

4 hours ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Arguably it would advantage Biden to have the Senators stuck in DC, and Trump's concern about running against Biden is what got us here in the first place.

4 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

could provide a badly needed spark for Kamala, she has shined on that stage before

"I'll be free."

_106116535_peter-cover-reuters.jpg

13 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I doubt there will be a senate trial.

That's not the way I'd bet.  

Although I could see it happening.  I mean, if I'm an R Senator, particularly in some states that used to be solid R, before Trump, I'm crossing my fingers that we figure out some way to avoid me having to vote either way on this one.  

Maybe invent "the Carl Albert Rule", which clearly states that the Senate will not hold any impeachment votes for a President who's within one year of running for reelection, anyway, or something.  

But I'd bet decent money that there's a "trial".  It's just that Donald Trump won't be the one on trial.  

7 minutes ago, Larry said:

That's not the way I'd bet.  

Although I could see it happening.  I mean, if I'm an R Senator, particularly in some states that used to be solid R, before Trump, I'm crossing my fingers that we figure out some way to avoid me having to vote either way on this one.  

Maybe invent "the Carl Albert Rule", which clearly states that the Senate will not hold any impeachment votes for a President who's within one year of running for reelection, anyway, or something.  

But I'd bet decent money that there's a "trial".  It's just that Donald Trump won't be the one on trial.  

Mitch McConnell’s track record is to simply not vote.  He didn’t vote on Garland.  He hasn’t voted on gun control.  I don’t think there’s anything in the constitution that explicitly says that the senate must vote to confirm/deny the impeachment.  That’s why I just assume that McConnell does what he usually does, which is simply to pretend it doesn’t even exist while looking as much like an old decrepit turtle alien as he can god dammit I will applaud the day he’s no longer a senator.

The GOP usual suspects are backing themselves into the "Unless Trump personally told someone that he ordered the hold on the military aid unless the Bidens were investigated, then we can't listen to anything they say" defense.   That is pretty much where they are headed.  What's better is in a few weeks there will probably be witnesses that did have first hand accounts and heard the actual directives coming from Trump, which will mean finally the GOP.............still won't care.

Archived