Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

3 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I'd say that's true of a bunch of our foreign policy positions and allies. They no longer trust us. Because Trump and Republicans. That's just sad.

At this point there is only one element allies can trust - Trump calls them human scum (Hint they are not Dems).

14 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The Nation: Don’t Count the Senate Out on Impeachment  

Talk about pure fantasy.  There is no way in hell, you will get 20 GOPers to convict Trump. I doubt you even get 5.  

How many GOP senators in races they could lose?  If the poll results start turning on them in there races, I can see some freaking out (they already scared about it in private)

14 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The Nation: Don’t Count the Senate Out on Impeachment  

Talk about pure fantasy.  There is no way in hell, you will get 20 GOPers to convict Trump. I doubt you even get 5.  

There's either going to be 1 (Romney) with 2-3 Dems voting no... or there's going to be 40. It will be near unanimous either way. GOP won't force members to take hard votes... if someone important decides that Republicans have a much better shot in 2020 without Trump than with him, they'll all bail on him at the same time. I don't really see it... yet.

Frankly, I think each and every person who defies these subpoenas should be in a holding cell. They know they have been legally and properly executed. They know that if it were any other President that they would obey them. Hell, Bill Clinton never tried to block them in this way.

21 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Frankly, I think each and every person who defies these subpoenas should be in a holding cell. They know they have been legally and properly executed. They know that if it were any other President that they would obey them. Hell, Bill Clinton never tried to block them in this way.

last i checked, subpoenas were not optional. must be nice to have that kind of privilege 

regardless of 45's ultimate fate, the damage to the institutions repubs used to pretend to hold sacrosanct is evident and will not be repaired in my lifetime

3 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

last i checked, subpoenas were not optional. must be nice to have that kind of privilege 

regardless of 45's ultimate fate, the damage to the institutions repubs used to pretend to hold sacrosanct is evident and will not be repaired in my lifetime

Disagree.  There could be a genuine desire to try to plug many of the holes 45 exploited before someone else tries again.  If it does happen, the discussion will be had in the first term, and whether we trust it will depend on when its tested again.  I believe the institutions didnt totally collapse and held their ground better then most government could hope for

44 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I don't think I'd be quite that broad with that brush.  

OK, maybe 99% of them are simply giving the finger, while making some kind of mumbo-jumbo that they know isn't valid in the first place.  Something comparable to claiming "this subpoena is invalid because it's not on green paper."  

But, say, Krupperman's lawsuit, which I read as saying "Hey, your honor, I've got orders here, ne from the Congress, one from the Attorney General, giving me contradictory orders.  Can you give me a ruling on what's the legal thing to do?" sounds to me like a valid question to ask a court.  

If we're voting on Contempt resolutions, I'm not sure I'd vote for one for him.  At least based on what tiny bit I understand.  

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

I don't think I'd be quite that broad with that brush.  

OK, maybe 99% of them are simply giving the finger, while making some kind of mumbo-jumbo that they know isn't valid in the first place.  Something comparable to claiming "this subpoena is invalid because it's not on green paper."  

But, say, Krupperman's lawsuit, which I read as saying "Hey, your honor, I've got orders here, ne from the Congress, one from the Attorney General, giving me contradictory orders.  Can you give me a ruling on what's the legal thing to do?" sounds to me like a valid question to ask a court.  

If we're voting on Contempt resolutions, I'm not sure I'd vote for one for him.  At least based on what tiny bit I understand.  

I can buy that with the caveat that the Attorney General's orders are likely unlawful and he should face consequences for pushing this practice.

I don't have an issue with someone asking a judge for guidance if they are being told two different things. However, if the judge rules that they need to comply with the subpoena and then they simply move onto some other reason why they aren't going to show up, then there is a problem.

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I can buy that with the caveat that the Attorney General's orders are likely unlawful and he should face consequences for pushing this practice.

Congress can impeach the AG.  I sure think Obstruction of Justice is warranted.  

Betsy de Vos ignoring court orders might well qualify, too.  

Archived