Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/4/9/21215137/redskins-mock-draft-scenario

I know it's unrealistic, but I would be so pumped if we came out of the draft with this.  Stay at 2, get chase, and the rest of the way need and BPA seems well aligned. 

I love Davis, I can’t see most of those guys being around, but I’m in.

For those of you who want KJ Hill, what will his role/lane be in your mind and is he better at that role than anyone on our current team? Is that role worth the draft capital or can it be easily acquired elsewhere? What is his ceiling and floor? 

These are the questions we gotta ask ourselves so we evaluate within the context of our team and not in a vacuum.

so, there's talk about the draft being expanded to 10 rounds due to the coronavirus.  Think it happens?

And another thing, I wonder if maybe there would be less college free agency after this draft and some teams went after the kind of guys you go after for futures contracts this time around on the theory those guys would be more used to pro level playbooks and training camps

1 minute ago, Fresh8686 said:

For those of you who want KJ Hill, what will his role/lane be in your mind and is he better at that role than anyone on our current team? Is that role worth the draft capital or can it be easily acquired elsewhere? What is his ceiling and floor? 

These are the questions we gotta ask ourselves so we evaluate within the context of our team and not in a vacuum.

I am not sure if its more we overtly want Hill, but rather that he would be a good selection in the 4th/5th should we miss out on Pittman/Aiyuk and/or we go BPA in the 3rd. His role would be in the slot. A reliable target to find holes in the zone and pick up 1st downs. Something i see as quite valuable when you have 0 viable tightends on the roster. Of course that means Sims would have to split time there, or play out wide more. But Sims has undeniable speed, and you can line a guy like that up anywhere.

Hard to say what his ceiling/floor is. His lack of explosiveness in the modern game could be an issue. But route running is timeless, and he already has a great report with Haskins.  I look at him as a good fallback plan in the event our main wr targets are taken prior to 66.

13 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I am not sure if its more we overtly want Hill, but rather that he would be a good selection in the 4th/5th should we miss out on Pittman/Aiyuk and/or we go BPA in the 3rd. His role would be in the slot. A reliable target to find holes in the zone and pick up 1st downs. Something i see as quite valuable when you have 0 viable tightends on the roster. Of course that means Sims would have to split time there, or play out wide more. But Sims has undeniable speed, and you can line a guy like that up anywhere.

Hard to say what his ceiling/floor is. His lack of explosiveness in the modern game could be an issue. But route running is timeless, and he already has a great report with Haskins.  I look at him as a good fallback plan in the event our main wr targets are taken prior to 66.

Do you think KJ Hill can beat out Trey Quinn on the depth chart? I'm not totally sure if he can. Quinn is slightly faster, maybe more explosive, stronger, and has equal or better hands plus better production in college, albeit with lesser competition at SMU.

KJ Hill 2019: 4.6 40, no official 3-cone, 57/75 636 Yards, 11.2 Yards per Reception, 10 TD's

Trey Quinn 2017: 4.55 40, 6.91 3-cone, 114/115 1,236 Yards, 10.8 Yards per Reception, 13 TD's

This makes Quinn the 2018 Mr. Irrelevant. Quinn (5’11/203) was SMU’s unheralded bookend for Courtland Sutton, transferring from LSU to spend one year with the Mustangs and tally a 114/1,236/13 receiving line, earning first-team All-American Athletic Conference. PFF College credited Quinn with 4.36 yards per route run, highest among all draft-eligible receivers. On slot routes alone, Quinn caught 75% of his targets with seven TDs and had the lowest drop rate (1.7%) in this receiver class. Quinn isn’t exceptionally straight-line fast (4.55) but he is quick in a short area (6.91 three-cone time) and catches everything.

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares SMU WR Trey Quinn to Tampa Bay Buccaneers WR Adam Humphries.

"Give him choice routes to work with and he will set them up and knock them down all day. He's not going to be a good tester, but he's built like a running back and has better strength than most slots," an NFC scouting director told Zierlein. The ultra-productive Quinn gets positive marks for his ability to execute routes, and he has excellent hands while finding holes in the zone. Zierlein has concerns about the fact that he didn't have much success coming into 2017, and he faced weak competition this spring. He still gives Quinn a Day 3 grade, and he should be off the board by the end of the sixth-round.

@Vanguard

That's JJ Taylor

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I could see Hill as the double dip at WR in late round 4, early round 5 after we’ve taken a more dynamic receiver earlier.

Before I said I’d watched through the clips on the main NFL site of our draft selections in 2019. The clip they played after the Terry Mc pick featured him blocking 3 receivers down field for Hill to streak in for the score...

You never know.

6 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Do you think KJ Hill can beat out Trey Quinn on the depth chart? I'm not totally sure if he can. Quinn is slightly faster, maybe more explosive, stronger, and has equal or better hands plus better production in college, albeit with lesser competition at SMU.

KJ Hill 2019: 4.6 40, no official 3-cone, 57/75 636 Yards, 11.2 Yards per Reception, 10 TD's

Trey Quinn 2017: 4.55 40, 6.91 3-cone, 114/115 1,236 Yards, 10.8 Yards per Reception, 13 TD's

Im 100% certain Hill would beat out Trey Quinn. Trey's collegiate numbers certainly jump off the paper, but it hasnt translated to the NFL. There is a reason he was mr. irrelevant. Im not even sure Trey has a spot on the team by the start of the season. He cant make anyone miss. Was awful returning punts. Doesnt have the ability to chase down passes. Lacks any wiggle. Has no ability to block from the slot. Kind of settles into a zone when the defense puts all their focus on a better wr ( like Courtland Sutton). It was night and day when Sims came in and took his spot in the slot. Quinn is a good story, but not worthy of significant playing time.

The question is not so much whether Hill beats Quinn out, but rather, is Hill a better option in the 4th/5th than either a bigger wr like Gandy Golden? Or other 3rd tier wrs like Bryan Edwards, Tyler Johnson, Gabriel Davis, Van Jefferson, or Donovan Peoples Jones?

Ive stated I would be perfectly happy with taking Pittman or Aiyuk if they fall to #66. But if not, then BPA there and take a look at Hill, as I think he has alot of intangibles in the same vein that McLaurin did. He has the willingness and ability to block, attacks the ball with his hands and rarely drops catches, and routinely exploits weaknesses in the defense with deceptive feints, is never injured, knows how to pick up a few yards after the catch with subtle jump cuts, and was the team captain in 2019 for the Buckeyes (similar to McLaurin). Hes not a homerun hitter, but he can certainly move the chains and his production has been the same regardless of the qb, or the other wr talent on the field.

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Young at #2, find a way to get Brooks next. Not sure I see first round talent, but back into the second. Yes please.

I haven’t watched Brooks at all, but I’ll have to change that. 

On 1/4/2020 at 7:49 PM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Well, spent a few uneducated hours today looking through prospects.

Assuming we take Young at #2, damn we have a lot of talent passing by until the top of the 3rd. Working on the basis we are getting a 4th comp pick for Crowder, I really like the look of the following players as our picks in rounds 3-5 :

Jordan Brooks LB Texas Tech

Brycen Hopkins TE Purdue

KJ Hill WR Ohio State

Kyle Dugger S/OLB hybrid Lenior-Rhyne

I've overlooked the OL on the basis I think Trent and Scherff gets new deals.

I also picked up on Javaris Davis, Auburn CB, not sure where he's slated to go?

Also, rankings have players all over the place. No idea if the above is remotely plausible..:ols:

@volsmet 4th Jan, just saying :headbang:

20 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I haven’t watched Brooks at all, but I’ll have to change that.  

I watched him only very briefly, but I'm going to watch cutups next.  His production is insane.  367 career tackles and 66 TFLs/Hurries/Sacks.

Brooks made this impressive list: https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-top-10-non-skill-position-players-in-college-football-2019

9. Jordyn Brooks, LB, Texas Tech

No linebacker in the country has more total QB pressures than Brooks, despite rushing the passer only 86 times this year (26th-most). Brooks leads the country's linebackers with 34 total pressures, including five sacks, four QB hits and 25 more hurries, while he's also second in the country with 48 total defensive stops. Brooks has allowed just 81 yards in coverage on his 199 snaps in which he's dropped back, and he's recorded 39 stops (third) in run defense, proving to be a complete, three-down linebacker in contention for top linebacker in the country by year's end.

I'll check out Brooks and then I'll check out Hennessy next.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'll check out Brooks and then I'll check out Hennessy next.

I really like Hennessy as a mid to late 3rd round pick, or early 4th. If we were to trade down from 66 ( provided Cushenberry is off the board), I would really like the pick. 

9 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Im 100% certain Hill would beat out Trey Quinn. Trey's collegiate numbers certainly jump off the paper, but it hasnt translated to the NFL. There is a reason he was mr. irrelevant. Im not even sure Trey has a spot on the team by the start of the season. He cant make anyone miss. Was awful returning punts. Doesnt have the ability to chase down passes. Lacks any wiggle. Has no ability to block from the slot. Kind of settles into a zone when the defense puts all their focus on a better wr ( like Courtland Sutton). It was night and day when Sims came in and took his spot in the slot. Quinn is a good story, but not worthy of significant playing time.

The question is not so much whether Hill beats Quinn out, but rather, is Hill a better option in the 4th/5th than either a bigger wr like Gandy Golden? Or other 3rd tier wrs like Bryan Edwards, Tyler Johnson, Gabriel Davis, Van Jefferson, or Donovan Peoples Jones?

Ive stated I would be perfectly happy with taking Pittman or Aiyuk if they fall to #66. But if not, then BPA there and take a look at Hill, as I think he has alot of intangibles in the same vein that McLaurin did. He has the willingness and ability to block, attacks the ball with his hands and rarely drops catches, and routinely exploits weaknesses in the defense with deceptive feints, is never injured, knows how to pick up a few yards after the catch with subtle jump cuts, and was the team captain in 2019 for the Buckeyes (similar to McLaurin). Hes not a homerun hitter, but he can certainly move the chains and his production has been the same regardless of the qb, or the other wr talent on the field.

I have a hard time seeing how KJ will do much better than Quinn against NFL competition when he's slower, only gets separation on underneath routes, isn't physical, and isn't great with contested catches. He's limited and that makes him more predictable in the NFL, which eats into how he won in College. He's JAG to me in the NFL, with an ok floor, but a pretty low ceiling.

For me, I would easily pick almost all of those wide receivers you mentioned over KJ Hill, because I see them all has having at least higher upside. Tyler Johnson, Van Jefferson, John Hightower, and Devin Duvernay are all better slot options in particular for the 3rd-4th round. 

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

I have a hard time seeing how KJ will do much better than Quinn against NFL competition when he's slower, only gets separation on underneath routes, isn't physical, and isn't great with contested catches. He's limited and that makes him more predictable in the NFL, which eats into how he won in College. He's JAG to me in the NFL, with an ok floor, but a pretty low ceiling.

For me, I would easily pick almost all of those wide receivers you mentioned over KJ Hill, because I see them all has having at least higher upside. Tyler Johnson, Van Jefferson, John Hightower, and Devin Duvernay are all better slot options in particular for the 3rd-4th round. 

I get the excitement of giving Haskins an ex-teammate especially with McLaurin already here.  I recall back in the day some of us got jazzed with getting for RG3, Terrance Williams and Kendall Wright which didn't end up happening.

But getting past that, I can't see how we can want KJ Hill (with all the fish in the sea at WR) without being down on Steve Sims?     IMO we already have a really good slot Wr and heck a decent backup for him, too.  We need an outside receiver who can start at Z and backup up X if necessary.  And I just can't see how a dude who played slot in college and didn't have to defeat press and is under 6 foot, under 200 pounds and runs 4.6 is going to be the dude that naturally converts from slot to being a good outside WR.  

In short, I can see Hill develop well as a slot WR in the NFL.  But I think it leaves a lot to the imagination to see him emerge as an outside WR.  And why go through all that trouble and wonder about it when there are so many good outside receivers in this draft that likely fall to our picks in the 3rd and 4th?

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Few very tenuous trends from free agency...

interior OL tends to be in the 6-4/5 300 lb range

CB 5-11 mid 190s

RBs also 5-11

TEs 6/4+ 245+ ish

LBs 6-0/1 230s ish

We've mostly been trying to get more athletic at LB and in the secondary. We've been lacking team speed forever, and this was long overdue. 

20 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

We've mostly been trying to get more athletic at LB and in the secondary. We've been lacking team speed forever, and this was long overdue. 

We have very little suddenness on the field. 

Archived