Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Such a great CB class:

• Pro Football Focus notes that Virginia senior CB Bryce Hall had the highest forced completion percentage of any corner in the ACC.

According to PFF, Hall forced an incompletion on 31.9 percent of his opportunities, just better than the 31.6 percent Florida State's Asante Samuel Jr. forced. Hall is considered one of the best corners in college football, and the 6-foot-1, 200-pound defender was a bit of a surprise returnee. Assuming he's the same player for the Whoos in 2019, he should be one of the first corners off the board in 2020.

Jul 15, 2019, 2:45 PM ET

Kind of a nice run down of RB/WR prospects, I don't list QB because we won't be drafting any of the top guys, and TE is horrible. We missed our shot w/the '17-'19 classes. We can definitely fix WR though. 

2020 Playmaker Prospects:

Rotoviz (analytics community):

RB:

1. D. Swift

2. T. Etienne

3. J. Taylor

4. C. Akers

5. JK Dobbins

6. E. Benjamin

WR's:

1. J. Jeudy

2. Laviska Shenault

3.  CeeDee Lamb

4. Jalen Reagor

5. Tyler Johnson

6.  Tee Higgins

7. B. Edwards

8. T. Wallace

9. H. Ruggs

10. C. Johnson

TE:

1. Albert Okwuegbunam 

I don't see a RB early (or possibly at all).  WR is a possibility depending on how this year pans out, but I think a big ugly will be our #1 pick next year.  We need a starting tackle to replace Trent and atleast on G (two if they can't work out a deal).

I don't see any interest in a RB either unless injury concerns persist with both Guice and Love and that seems a stretch, I could see someone brought in to replace Thompson as depth on day 3. WR will be a need. We have nothing on the roster beyond long shot prospects. Getting a WR early makes a ton of sense, we could wait till round 2 though. I'd definitely support using a day 1 or day 2 pick on OL help. IF we plan on getting anything out of Haskins, we need a legit OL and depth at the position too. 

My "Bored on a Rainy Day, Washington Redskins Silly-Early Fanspeak 2020 NFL Draft" results:

I assumed:

Williams drama being resolved/pushed out a year

Possible issues continuing at LG/RG

Foster injury still concerning enough to look into extra depth to compensate

Kerrigan beginning to show his age

Guice/Love (one or both) returning from injury well enough to not look for RB yet

YOUR PICKS

1: R1P13, S GRANT DELPIT, LSU

2: R3P13, G TOMMY KRAEMER, NOTRE DAME

3: R4P13, LB MICHAEL PINCKNEY,MIAMI

4: R4P36, EDGE JOE GAZIANO, NORTHWESTERN

5: R5P13, TE JARED RICE, FRESNO STATE

6: R7P7, CB JAVARIUS DAVIS, AUBURN

7: R7P13, WR DARNELL MOONEY, TULANE

On 7/17/2019 at 1:04 PM, The Consigliere said:

Kind of a nice run down of RB/WR prospects, I don't list QB because we won't be drafting any of the top guys, and TE is horrible. We missed our shot w/the '17-'19 classes. We can definitely fix WR though. 

2020 Playmaker Prospects:

Rotoviz (analytics community):

RB:

1. D. Swift

2. T. Etienne

3. J. Taylor

4. C. Akers

5. JK Dobbins

6. E. Benjamin

WR's:

1. J. Jeudy

2. Laviska Shenault

3.  CeeDee Lamb

4. Jalen Reagor

5. Tyler Johnson

6.  Tee Higgins

7. B. Edwards

8. T. Wallace

9. H. Ruggs

10. C. Johnson

TE:

1. Albert Okwuegbunam 

I'd put Ruggs much higher on that list. He's 6'0 190 lbs, runs a 4.25 40, has great hands, and was very productive given that he had to play 2nd fiddle to Jeudy. If he continues to play well and runs the same time at the combine I think he'll be a 1st rounder. A guy that fast adds a new dimension to your offense the second he steps on the field. Look at what Tyreek Hill did in KC...he made Alex Smith look like a gunslinger. 

WRs

Pittman

Shared Gandy-Golden a couple pages back.

KJ Hill is legit, he gets no love but he will go in the top 100 next year I imagine.

Dezmon Patmon of WSU is an interesting prospect, but I didn’t see much on YouTube or twitter for him.

Among those with potential to go from nowhere to top 50, Dee Anderson of LSU could be the breakout prospect of 2020 — the Tigers are changing the offense & he’s a 6ft 6 matchup nightmare.

Lipscomb can play, he’s a late round type.

It matters baby: sleeper TE to watch this fall

Jared Pinkney

Colby Parkinson

And a great TE prospect that gets little mention, Hunter Bryant:

On 4/22/2019 at 6:22 PM, volsmet said:

If you don’t put Needham on your udfa list, you will live a life full of regret & sorrow. 

On 7/29/2019 at 4:03 PM, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

O thank god this guy discovered youtube. His meme gifs were exhausting 

source.gif

Our offensive line is going to be bad this season.  The right side is not going to be able to make up for the issues on the left.  Quarterback is not going to be a help.  We're going to have trouble getting our runs blocked.

So... what can we do to cope with the issue as much as possible?

H-Back in the base formation and two TE sets?  But then how do we make the defense cover the whole field?  As you all have noted, TE is thin, and I'm not sure we could carry more than three even if we wanted to.

Pray that Flowers finds new life as a guard?  I don't know... this just feels really precarious.  It'll be the undoing of our season.

I've argued that OT's position value is overrated in the past.  But you do have to have a guy to man the spot.  And it certainly doesn't help when your LG spot is so weak.  So with that in mind, I'll be watching OLs a lot this year.  I started with the big ugly **** #72 from Washington, and I've got to say, I wasn't impressed.  Gonna move on to some of the other top names and see if Trey Adams makes some improvement this season.

I noticed #6 on Utah when I was watching Trey Adams.  He gave Adams the business and won that match up.  He's an athletic start stop edge with great balance and motor.  Reminds me a bit of Brandon Graham.  He looks a little on the small side and I could see that depressing his draft stock.

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

H-Back in the base formation and two TE sets? 

I saw some of just that in camp when I was there, especially in the red zone.

I agree O line is likely the sore spot.   Thomas seems to be the big name projected as a top 5 pick right now by some albeit I haven't watched him yet.  

We don't seem to draft offensive line year 1 starters well unless they are top ten first rounders. While Gruden and Allen seem to think we have to much cap dollars invested in the oline, if we have to rely on that high end, we need to go for the best olineman available or perhaps trade our 1-1 next year for multiple ones.  We also will probably need to find a long term partner for Montez.

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Our offensive line is going to be bad this season.  The right side is not going to be able to make up for the issues on the left.  Quarterback is not going to be a help.  We're going to have trouble getting our runs blocked.

So... what can we do to cope with the issue as much as possible?

H-Back in the base formation and two TE sets?  But then how do we make the defense cover the whole field?  As you all have noted, TE is thin, and I'm not sure we could carry more than three even if we wanted to.

Pray that Flowers finds new life as a guard?  I don't know... this just feels really precarious.  It'll be the undoing of our season.

I've argued that OT's position value is overrated in the past.  But you do have to have a guy to man the spot.  And it certainly doesn't help when your LG spot is so weak.  So with that in mind, I'll be watching OLs a lot this year.  I started with the big ugly **** #72 from Washington, and I've got to say, I wasn't impressed.  Gonna move on to some of the other top names and see if Trey Adams makes some improvement this season.

When Steve is back, life is better, I haven’t even read the post yet.

6108AB5B-6CC5-4F25-B8AA-69F44BB19405.gif

8D0226C2-2847-4DFA-AEBF-C88B33980867.gif

*Trey Adams went from top 10 prospect to useless 

Steve ... observant again. He was atrocious last year, the injuries may have done him in. 

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I noticed #6 on Utah when I was watching Trey Adams.  He gave Adams the business and won that match up.  He's an athletic start stop edge with great balance and motor.  Reminds me a bit of Brandon Graham.  He looks a little on the small side and I could see that depressing his draft stock.

I’ll start a gofundme to get Steve posting & evaluating with more regularity. 

*seriously

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Steve ... observant again. He was atrocious last year, the injuries may have done him in. 

He looked like he was playing hurt to me.  I didn't look up any of the context or background on his season, just dove straight in to cut ups, so I don't know what his injury situation was.  He just looked like an injured player.  I think he only played part of the first quarter against Ohio State.  Didn't see a play where he got injured, but he was getting lit up by Chase Young so I think they might have put him out of his misery when they realized he just couldn't stay in front of him.  He didn't look very aggressive and was falling off his blocks and basically just wasn't moving his feet in pass protection.  Typical signs that a player isn't right.

Getting his ass kicked by two bonafide studs like Young and #6 from Utah isn't encouraging, but it's not the end of the world for him.  I'm not writing him off yet.  His size is ideal for a tackle, and he is clearly very quick footed.  The raw athletic attributes are good and starter-caliber.  But this is a big season for him.  He needs to play well and stay healthy.

17 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree O line is likely the sore spot.   Thomas seems to be the big name projected as a top 5 pick right now by some albeit I haven't watched him yet.  

Wow.  I like this kid.  A lot.  I see a very smart player who diagnoses well and consistently finds his hat against rush trickery.  I see pop in the hands and a strong anchor.  The functional power is excellent for an underclassman OT.  I see a good runner with easy mobility in the second level.  I see excellent slide and mirror capability.  I see patience in his sets and a willingness to sit tight and wait for the rush to develop before striking.  He's got the explosiveness to react to counters and meet outside speed a couple steps into the rush.  And I see flexibility and bend.  He is an outstanding athlete and natural talent.

He's not super big for an OT, like that RT that Georgia has.  But he's not small.  And I think he's got a good body with minimal sloppiness for a player who is listed over 320.  Good bubble and thick base.  I could see him projecting as a dominant guard prospect too because of that mobility and powerful anchor so teams that have their OT situation settled will absolutely still draft him.

I don't say this lightly, but he reminds me of Trent.  I don't think he's quite the bear that Trent is, but he's also probably not done growing either.

Archived