Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't say this lightly, but he reminds me of Trent.  I don't think he's quite the bear that Trent is, but he's also probably not done growing either.

Thanks for the write up.  I'll take a look soon myself.  Reading about him he also comes off like a leader with great intangibles.  So he's very intriguing. 

He can recover to a blitz from the slot too, that is something to see.  And seeing him lay out once he's got a good lock on his second level target is fun too.

This kid is talented.  He's a special player at the position, that can recover from mistakes that kill other players, that can cheat on his technique and play his own way and win the snap.  He's not like Jonah Williams, he is more talented and doesn't have to play as clean.  I can see why he's getting top five hype.  But I also think that presumes some growth.  I think his pass protection is generally ahead of his run blocking, and that his move block accuracy could use some work.  A lot of it comes down to not keeping his weight balanced and underneath him and lunging when he's at the second level.

But the way I feel about him is similar to how I felt about Haskins.  You can pick nits on him and poke holes in his performances, but this kid is clearly a superior talent running around at the college level.  He's going to get graded on a much harsher curve than the other ones.

On 4/17/2019 at 12:57 AM, Redskins Reparations said:

With the 6th pick in round 7, the New York Football Giants select:

Jazz Ferguson, WR, Northwestern State.

On 4/1/2019 at 10:03 PM, JaxJoe said:

We definitely need an X receiver. I think we can get away with our current Z of Richardson and Y of Quinn, but only if we had a legit X. Doctson hasn't shown to be that guy. I wish he was. 

A big(ger) fast receiver with good hands is likely going to be Metcalf or Harry who lead in that category. ...... . Heck, Jazz Ferguson is a big fast wideout that was very productive at a small school that could be had in the 5th round or later.

So, yeah, I think we should use our 1st on an elite edge or QB if either falls to us because there’s plenty of productive big fast X receivers to be had later. 

I’ve been watching every game & a the movie Tag on this fine Thursday evening ...... in all there was to process, this youngster stood out. Well done, he’s going to be around for awhile if he stays healthy.

—————

Could Iowa have 2 OTs taken in the first round? 🤨

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round-1.asp

10  Buffalo 
Buffalo NFL Mock Draft logo
Alaric Jackson 
Iowa 
OT 
Reach/Value:

Height:
6'6"
Weight:
Alaric Jackson NFL Draft photo  
While we explore Morse's concussion to see if it plays a role in the draft, the need at Tackle is bigger than we think. Admittedly, Dion Dawkins has looked better at LT at camp than last year. Dion still has a little trouble against speed rushers, but having Quinton Spain next to him will help. Morse and Spain allowed one sack combined in 2018. Dawkins, who our DraftTek OL Analyst called "a better Guard than Tackle prospect", and Cody Ford, who he calls "a phone-booth Guard", has shown improved feet and arm use against Jerry Hughes and a healthy Trent Murphy during the 11-on-11s. Dawkins and/or Ford could end up as Pro-Bowl Guards, but it would leave a hole outside. 

Ty Nsehke will be 34 right before Halloween. Scary. LaAdrian Waddle is ranked at 50.6 in pass protection. Scarier. De'Ondre Wesley has been getting work at Guard instead of his 2018 position at Tackle, and Ike Boettger, who played OT at Iowa, has also been kicked inside to OG.

Alaric Jackson was one of my best fits at Tackle for the Bills in another deep draft at the position. Watch this cued-up play where Jackson, LT #77, uses hand/arm placement and -ahem- an ample lower center of gravity to steer his EDGE out of harm's way. Other attractive fits for the Bills in RD1 would be one of the WRs Shenault/Higgins/Reagor, EDGE Yetur Gross-Matos, or S Grant Delpit. Let's also get a beefy bell-cow back to complement Singletary's play on Day Two.

-Dean Kindig, Bills Analyst (@TCBills_Astro on Twitter)

—————

On 3/2/2019 at 1:16 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think six offensive linemen have separated themselves as first round caliber guys:

1 - Andre Dillard - pulling away as the top tackle prospect

2 - Jawan Taylor - best guard prospect

3 - Jonah Williams - cleanest guard/tackle prospect.  There is basically no way this kid fails unless he gets hurt.

4 - Cody Ford - probably the best upside guy at tackle

5 - Chris Lindstrom - Phenomenal athlete with excellent film.  Probably the second best guard prospect after Taylor

6 - Dalton Risner - I think he sneaks into the back end of the first.  Film is better than his drill times.  Can play all five positions and that level of versatility is unmatched.

———

On 2/6/2019 at 11:07 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Montgomery is my bang the table player this year.  He is one of the guys I think the draft world is undervaluing the most.  

When I say vague but meaningful things like "Montgomery is a great football player," I'm talking about situational stuff like this.

Filthy.

On 3/17/2019 at 12:33 PM, skinny21 said:

Qb: Like Grier a lot, kind of dig Stidham (has the tools) - feel his oline held him back.  Intrigued by Thomson and Ta’amu.  I think Finley and McSorley are guys we could stash on the PS and maybe become our McCoys of the future.  

On 3/4/2019 at 7:41 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

I love Stidham's arm and even said before the combine its the perfect setting for him ... 

Nice posts volsmet.  Risner was a really nice get for Denver at 41.  He's a starting caliber player at all five spots, but looks like he might become a really good guard.  I think he was one of the most gung-ho guys about football in that class.  Guys like that usually end up being more than the some of their parts, plus he is such an effortless mover with excellent quickness, so there is real talent there.

And I think Montgomery is going to become Chicago's workhorse offensive player.  He really salvaged their draft class after they traded away so many picks for Mack.

5 hours ago, volsmet said:

Could Iowa have 2 OTs taken in the first round? 🤨

That would be quite a feat, but if any school could pull it off, it's them.  Two TEs last year, why not two OTs?

That whole state is just a freaking factory for big scrappy line talent.  There is something in the corn there.

I'm looking forward to watching their line this year.  Probably moreso than anything else, although I am really liking what I saw from Georgia's line last season. 

I would say the two players who have initially impressed me the most aside from Tua Tagavailoa were Chase Young and Andrew Thomas.  These two are downright special.  I think Young is better than Bosa was, and that he has a real chance to go second overall after Tua.  He's due for a double digit sack year IMO.  And he's the kind of guy that can be a sack leader down the road.  His athleticism is as good as it gets at the rush LBer position.

14 hours ago, volsmet said:

*I love seeing players, you guys touted, kicking A. The ES does the draft right.

70690B99-DE15-4720-AD3B-64CEE7BFEC74.gif

Thanks, you provide a ton of great content and discussion here among other people.   It's my favorite thread on the board even when we disagree.  The disagreements are fun, too. 😀  Though we all often agree.     Parcells says if you go 50-50 on the draft then you are doing really well so that should give us all some leeway with our favs.😀   For me I like to look at the less obvious prospects I was willing to hang my hat on and I pay more attention to them then my man crushes on the bigger name guys like TJ Hockenson since they are shared by a million other draft geeks and they are more of the obvious type talents.

As for Stidham, I said then if everything is right for him, he has a great arm, is accurate and makes plays.   He scares me when you bring on the heat.  So I think the vanilla defenses he faces in preseason should help him.  And or McDaniels and staff teaches him how to manage pressure.

I got to harken back to think of some of my more obscure loves.  I was a big Ty Johnson guy who some thought could go undrafted but he did end up drafted late.   I also liked Diontae Johnson and our very own Terry McLaurin and recall push back on both prospects by some on this thread.  Not that I am taking a victory dance on any of those guys (too early for that) but they are off to a good start. 

I loved Devin Bush for us. He would have looked so good behind our DL and pass rushers. 

OT, WR1, CB, and possibly LB still look like big needs for us next year. For the long term health of the team, I almost hope we move Trent, but if we do that, I think we almost have to select a tackle, unless Geron Christian suddenly turns a corner. 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I loved Devin Bush for us. He would have looked so good behind our DL and pass rushers. 

OT, WR1, CB, and possibly LB still look like big needs for us next year. For the long term health of the team, I almost hope we move Trent, but if we do that, I think we almost have to select a tackle, unless Geron Christian suddenly turns a corner. 

Agree.  CB and LB might be Ok if our young players develop.  Lots of good reports about Holcomb and R. Foster should be back.

As for Devin Bush, he has insane speed to the degree where he even showed at times in college he can cover Wrs one on one.  He's also a really good blitzer, and will likely get his share of sacks.  He is undersized but at the same time LBs like him seem to be the future of the NFL. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-mock-draft-pffs-mike-renners-first-preseason-mock-draft?utm_source=PFF+Newsletter&utm_campaign=0e76c81fef-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_08_12_mock_and_guide&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ae3f4210bf-0e76c81fef-191311489

1. MIAMI DOLPHINS – QB TUA TAGOVAILOA, ALABAMA

Tagovailoa had the highest percentage of perfectly placed passes among Power-5 quarterbacks last season. Consistent accuracy and ball placement is far and away the trait the data says to covet most when projecting to the NFL.

2. CINCINNATI BENGALS – QB JUSTIN HERBERT, OREGON

If the Bengals really are picking at No. 2 overall, chances are they’ll be ready to move on from Andy Dalton. Herbert’s blend of size, athleticism and arm talent is too rare to pass up at the top of the draft. His inconsistency is terrifying, but he can answer those concerns in 2019. 

3. BUFFALO BILLS – EDGE CHASE YOUNG, OHIO STATE

Young checks pretty much every box you could check as a defensive end already. He’s got size, length and athleticism that’s all ideal for the position plus elite production already. As a true sophomore, he led the nation in pressures.

4. WASHINGTON REDSKINS – WR JERRY JEUDY, ALABAMA

Jeudy can do things physically on a football field that receivers even in the NFL couldn’t dream of. There isn’t much about the receiver position he can’t do at this point. He would have easily been the top WR on our draft board if he was allowed to declare for the 2019 draft.

5. ARIZONA CARDINALS – OT ANDREW THOMAS, GEORGIA

There are only a handful of human beings in the world that can move the way he does at 6-foot-5, 320 pounds. He’s been limited to a degree in pass protection up to this point in Georgia’s offense, but he’s already incredibly accomplished for a rising junior.

6. DETROIT LIONS – S GRANT DELPIT, LSU

The Lions’ secondary could use an influx of talent pretty much anywhere, but Delpit’s versatile coverage ability seems like a perfect match for Matt Patricia’s defense. Delpit can seamlessly go from the slot, to box, to deep safety and still make plays.

7. NEW YORK JETS – CB JEFFREY OKUDAH, OHIO STATE

Okudah doesn’t have a lot of ball production to speak of at this point, but a lot of that is a factor of the defense. He doesn’t do a lot other than play press-man in Ohio State’s defense and in that role he’s stingy as can be. Okudah allowed all of six first downs as a true sophomore.

8. DENVER BRONCOS – WR JALEN REAGOR, TCU

The Broncos find their Emanuel Sanders replacement. Reagor put over 1,000 yards with a quarterback group at TCU that was one of the lowest-graded in all of college football. Despite his smallish stature, Reagor was still among the NCAA leaders with 15 contested catches. 

9. NEW YORK GIANTS – OT TRISTAN WIRFS, IOWA

The Giants’ rebuild of their offensive line continues. Wirfs topped Bruce Feldman’s freaks list over the offseason, and he simply doesn’t get overpowered on the football field. The only concern is if he can hold up at tackle in the NFL or if his future is at guard.

10. OAKLAND RAIDERS – DI DERRICK BROWN, AUBURN

Brown is a clean projection from college to pros with how physically dominant and productive he already is. The question is whether or not he’ll add enough as a pass-rusher and be able to be an every-down player at 320 pounds.

11. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS – EDGE A.J. EPENESA, IOWA

Epenesa is poised for a monstrous 2019 season after he dominated in a rotational role last year. He racked up 46 pressures, including 10 sacks, on only 244 pass-rushing snaps. That’s the type of pass-rush the Bucs have been missing for a while.

12. TENNESSEE TITANS – EDGE JULIAN OKWARA, NOTRE DAME

Okwara looks poised for a big senior year after he racked up 61 pressures in a breakout junior campaign. He’s still a slight 6-foot-5, 240 pounds, but we’re not particularly worried as he’s already one of the best bull-rushers in the country.

13. CAROLINA PANTHERS – IOL TYLER BIADASZ, WISCONSIN

The No. 13 spot might be a tad high for an interior offensive lineman, but that’s how good Biadasz has been in his career at Wisconsin. He’s earned top-three marks at center in each of the past two seasons and could easily step in at either guard or center for the Panthers.

14. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS – WR LAVISKA SHENAULT, COLORADO

Shenault is a broken tackle machine. In his breakout sophomore campaign, Shenault broke 29 tackles on 87 receptions. He may not be a complete receiver yet, but he’s deadly with the ball in his hands and the Jaguars need any sort of playmaker they can get.

15. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS – CB BRYCE HALL, VIRGINIA

Hall looks tailor-made to play cornerback for a press cover-3 team in the NFL. Length and ball skills are the two traits that have made Richard Sherman arguably the best cornerback in the league over the past decade, and Hall has an impressive combination of both himself.

16. HOUSTON TEXANS – OT WALKER LITTLE, STANFORD

Little, much like Andrew Thomas, is still coming along in pass protection but has physical tools you don’t see every day from a true sophomore. While the Texans invested heavily in the 2019 draft on their offensive line, that doesn’t necessarily mean their woes will be going away anytime soon.

[Editor’s note: PFF’s Preseason 2020 NFL Draft Guide is LIVE and features 150 Two-Page Player Profiles, giving you advanced stats, game grades and much, much more. All existing EDGE and ELITE subscribers have access to the guide and can download it here.]

17. BALTIMORE RAVENS – LB ISAIAH SIMMONS, CLEMSON

Simmons is a freak athletically who can do pretty much everything you want a modern linebacker to do in coverage. With already one of the best secondaries in the NFL, Simmons would make the lives of everyone on the back end easier with his length and ability to cover ground.

18. ATLANTA FALCONS – LB DYLAN MOSES, ALABAMA

Moses fits the mold that the Falcons like defensively. The Alabama linebacker is an explosive athlete who limits YAC in space extremely well and can also add as a blitzer. He’s missed five tackles on 107 attempts in his career.

19. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS – CB PAULSON ADEBO, STANFORD

The Seahawks finally get their Richard Sherman replacement as the comparisons between the two go deeper than their alma mater. Adebo led all of college football last season with 23 combined pass breakups and interceptions.

20. MINNESOTA VIKINGS – DI RAEKWON DAVIS, ALABAMA

Davis has yet to show us much as a pass-rusher, but he’s a physical specimen who already dominates in the run game. He’s earned run-defense grades over 89.0 and pass-rushing grades below 70.0 each of the past two seasons. The Vikings have worked wonders with long, athletic defensive linemen in the past, though.

21. DALLAS COWBOYS – S KENNY ROBINSON JR., WEST VIRGINIA*

Robinson is yet another safety that can do pretty much anything asked of him. He started his career at West Virginia starting at cornerback as a true freshman. Midway through that year, he’d switch to safety and has racked up six picks in a year and a half since. 

*Kenny Robinson Jr. announced he’d transfer from West Virginia in June 2019

22. PITTSBURGH STEELERS – CB KRISTIAN FULTON, LSU

Corner has been a sore subject for the Steelers of late, and Fulton would change all of that. The LSU cornerback graded out higher (88.6) and forced incompletions at a higher rate (29.3%) than former teammate Greedy Williams. 

23. GREEN BAY PACKERS – WR CEEDEE LAMB, OKLAHOMA

The Packers finally get a legit No. 2 across from Davante Adams. Lamb is a more complete receiver than first-round teammate Marquise Brown and if they were in the same class, Lamb would have been raked higher on our board.

24. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS – DI JAVON KINLAW, SOUTH CAROLINA

Kinlaw is a name that’s sure to start generating some buzz with a larger workload in 2019. On 297 pass-rushing snaps last year, Kinlaw earned an 88.7 pass-rushing grade – the highest of any returning interior player. 

25. OAKLAND RAIDERS – EDGE YETUR GROSS-MATOS, PENN STATE

The Raiders address pass-rush once again because you can never have too many. Gross-Matos is still a project though heading into his junior year. The Penn State edge rusher managed only 25 pressures on 315 pass-rushes last season.

26. CLEVELAND BROWNS – OT PRINCE TEGA WANOGHO, AUBURN

Tega Wanogho has only been playing football for five years now and only started playing offensive line when he got to Auburn. That makes his 88.4 pass-blocking grade all the more impressive and all the more intriguing to the tackle needy Browns.

27. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES – DI LEVI ONWUZURIKE, WASHINGTON

You know the Eagles can never get enough defensive linemen. Onwuzurike is one of our favorite breakout candidates for the 2019 season. He earned a 91.0 run-defense grade and 82.5 pass-rushing grade on only 391 snaps last year.

28. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS – CB C.J. HENDERSON, FLORIDA

Henderson doesn’t have any exceptional traits like some of the other cornerbacks that went earlier in the first round, but all he did was shut down receivers weekly in the SEC. He allowed only 18 catches for 249 yards all season.

29. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS – TE JARED PINKNEY, VANDERBILT

Pinkney’s receiving ability is right up there with last year’s top-10 pick T.J. Hockenson’s. While Pinkney isn’t near the blocker that Hockenson is, the Vanderbilt tight end is arguably a more polished route-runner already. He broke nine tackles on 50 catches last season.

30. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS – WR TEE HIGGINS, CLEMSON

Higgins has unbelievable body control and hands for a man his size. He hauled in 12-of-23 contested catches last year, broke 11 tackles on 59 receptions and had only two drops. With Sammy Watkins almost guaranteed to be a cap casualty in 2020 with a $21 million cap hit, Higgins would fill a need. 

31. LOS ANGELES RAMS – EDGE CURTIS WEAVER, BOISE STATE

If you’re not familiar with Weaver’s game yet, you will be shortly. He’s one of the most productive and versatile edge defenders in this class.

32. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS – QB K.J. COSTELLO, STANFORD

Will this be the year the Patriots finally address the quarterback position early on in the draft? Costello does a lot of things that would appeal to the Patriots. Most chiefly among them his ability to throw into tight windows – which he did more than any other quarterback in college football last year – and throw with anticipation.

Feels weird, pre-draft I was saying Lock's not ready yet, he has a lot to work on, etc etc...and that's why he shouldn't be a 1st rounder.  Day 2 I said.  I had built up all of this animus, ready to go for whoever overdrafted Lock.  Then he went in the 2nd round.

The animus is still kind of there, for no reason now, and it feels weird.  I like the Broncos selection and how they waited on him.  They've got Flacco, so Lock can sit and learn.  He's got enough arm talent that maybe they don't go QB in 2020.  Maybe they roll the dice on Lock.  I mean, he can make some throws that guys like Tua, Fromm, etc can't quite.

His hand size is only 9 inches.  Denver is an outdoor stadium right?  In December if it's snowing, can he still grip the ball like normal?

8 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Start looking really hard ladies and gents... looks like we may have 2 first rounders this upcoming draft and some additional change in the later rounds.. (fingers crossed)

Next year's offensive class is stacked at OL and WR.  Enough talent on both sides that a trade down can still pick up a great WR or OLineman.  With 2 firsts, one could be aggressive with a trade back and net us a similar repeatable situation in 2021 while also recouping the lost 2020 2nd rounder.

P.S. If we trade Trent Williams for a 1st, we'll have gone full Patriots.  They've done that repeatedly to star players.  Logan Mankins, Richard Seymour, Deion Branch, and Chandler Jones are who I can think of, but it wouldn't surprise me if I forgot one.

Corners & OL moving up in a class that was said to be weak for each — unbelievable draft. Trade Trent.

• Dane Brugler of The Athletic wrote that Georgia junior T Andrew Thomas is "boringly beautiful" in pass protection.

Brugler has Thomas (6'5/320) ranked second among draft-eligible tackles heading into the 2019 season, trailing only Iowa standout Tristan Wirfs. And the junior's work in pass protection is considered to be one of his best selling points. "At 320-ish pounds, Thomas has outstanding feet and body coordination to protect the edge against athletic pass-rushers," Brugler wrote. "He redirects well against counters and plays comfortable in space, using his long arms and forceful hands like shock absorbers." Thomas' presence is an understated reason why QB Jake Fromm is an early contender to win the Heisman Trophy, and why Georgia is once again a contender nationally. If he goes pro after this season, Thomas could very well hear his name called within the first ten picks.

SOURCE: The Athletic
    Aug 13, 2019, 10:41 PM ET
  • Iowa junior T Tristan Wirfs is ranked tops among draft-eligible tackles by Dane Brugler of The Athletic.

Brugler isn't the only draft analyst who thinks this highly of Wirfs (6'5/320), who's a physical specimen and could very well be a top-10 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. "Wirfs not only has the physical traits that NFL teams covet but also understands the mechanics of the position," Brugler wrote. "He is quick to strike and reset mid-kickslide, using his hands like weapons to protect his chest and keep rushers at bay." In his analysis Brugler also noted that the junior tackle needs to improve his vision this season, and if that comes along he won't last too long on draft boards next spring.

SOURCE: The Athletic
    Aug 13, 2019, 10:28 PM ET

Archived