Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I watched the cut ups from Sam Cosmi's 2018 game against TCU and he looked pretty bad.  The strength wasn't there.  The technique wasn't there.  The play demeanor wasn't nearly as nasty and assertive.  The blocks were easier.

I think he might have made a big jump from last year to this year.  He looked athletic and strong.  He looked extremely aggressive.  He was nailing his cut blocks and just wiping guys out.  He was sticking more difficult run blocks, showing the ability to handle more on his plate.  Basically he has become an impact player.

I'm wondering if Walker Little and Trey Adams can make a similar jump this year.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My guy Marquise Brown, one person here really mocked me for liking him.  Off to a big start.  So will see.  😀

He's got next level speed and playmaking ability, but I just don't see how he's going to hold up long term at his size.  I think he's going to be one of those guys who gives you like 10-12 dynamic games a year, and you just have to hope that he's available for a stretch/playoff run.

But between him and LaMar Jackson, when the Ravens are healthy, they are going to be lethal.  Especially with that defense.  I think they're more complete than the Kansas City and I think them and Houston are the only ones with a chance of beating New England in the AFC this year.

16 minutes ago, ksun247 said:

May be time to add RB to the list with Guice's latest injury.

Not ready to write Guice off yet, but I think he might have some biomechanical issues that contribute to his knee problems.  He has a physical running style that puts his legs at risk.

We still have Chris Thompson and Bryce Love too, who are high upside guys.  But they've got their own issues with injuries and size.

The top end of this RB class looks pretty good.  Swift and Taylor are as good as advertised, and Dillon and Etienne are very good too.  It's a deeper group than last year's class.

No matter what happens with Guice, we're going to be alright at RB if Love gets healthy from his knee injury. I am over the moon for that kid.  I like him as much as I liked Montgomery, if not more.  His speed to press the safeties and hit the edge is so good.  He's like McLaurin in that we just haven't had guys with their speed on our offense in a minute.  He can make bad blockers look alright, and he also has a nose for the endzone too.

With a healthy Love, we can probably get away with a power back whose not that great running in the heavy packages.

And we can also get away with sketchy run blocking of our line.

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not ready to write Guice off yet, but I think he might have some biomechanical issues that contribute to his knee problems.  He has a physical running style that puts his legs at risk.

We still have Chris Thompson and Bryce Love too, who are high upside guys.  But they've got their own issues with injuries and size.

The top end of this RB class looks pretty good.  Swift and Taylor are as good as advertised, and Dillon and Etienne are very good too.  It's a deeper group than last year's class.

Thompson is out of contract in the offseason. Can't see him getting paid here. I looked at the Bryce Love selection as a move with a view on that in 2020. 

39 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's got next level speed and playmaking ability, but I just don't see how he's going to hold up long term at his size.  I think he's going to be one of those guys who gives you like 10-12 dynamic games a year, and you just have to hope that he's available for a stretch/playoff run.

But between him and LaMar Jackson, when the Ravens are healthy, they are going to be lethal.  Especially with that defense.  I think they're more complete than the Kansas City and I think them and Houston are the only ones with a chance of beating New England in the AFC this year.

He's not that much smaller than Desean.  Naturally those types aren't 10 catches a game type of receivers but instead ones who change the game on a couple of play types and occupy the free satety to open things up underneath.  I wasn't referring to you as to being giving a hard time about Marquise, I recall you were fine with him.  I had someone here give me a hard time on a bunch of my receiver choices.  And thus far, I am not looking too bad.  But it's early so will see.

Nice job by the way on your end as to Garner Minshew.   He looked good yesterday.  

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

No matter what happens with Guice, we're going to be alright at RB if Love gets healthy from his knee injury. I am over the moon for that kid.  I like him as much as I liked Montgomery, if not more.  His speed to press the safeties and hit the edge is so good.  He's like McLaurin in that we just haven't had guys with their speed on our offense in a minute.  He can make bad blockers look alright, and he also has a nose for the endzone too.

Me too, ironically he was my man crush at RB (aside from Barkley) pre Guice in 2017.  He's electric.  And even though he gets hammered for not being a pass catcher (like his old teammate McCaffrey), he improved on that front and i think he can continue to do so.  

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's not that much smaller than Desean.  Naturally those types aren't 10 catches a game type of receivers but instead ones who change the game on a couple of play types and occupy the free satety to open things up underneath.   I wasn't referring to you as to being giving a hard time about Marquise, I recall you were fine with him.

Nice job by the way on your end as to Garner Minshew.   He looked good yesterday.   

I actually like Marquise.  His cut ups from OU last season were one of the funnest to watch.  He gives you everything from an elite deep threat dimension to an elite catch and run weapon.  But if I were a GM, I wouldn't have taken him in the first round because of his size.

Then again, receivers I would have taken in the first (Butler, Metcalf) went very late in the draft, so draft value for receivers is clearly super dependent upon role/fit.  If a player is a dynamite fit for your offense, then I suppose it's best to draft him when you can instead of trying to wait around on him for ideal value.  Brown has given the Ravens a very dangerous element to their offense that seems to have opened it up.

AJ Brown had a great debut game too.  I wasn't high on him last season because I felt he was super overrated as a top five to ten pick heading into last year.  But he was actually taken in a range that provided tremendous value.  Burly alpha-dog slot receiver who can really command the middle of the field and wear secondaries down.  A little bit of DJ Moore in him.  Or perhaps more of a rich man's Pierre Garcon.  He's really well suited to a modern NFL spread.

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me too, ironically he was my man crush at RB (aside from Barkley) pre Guice in 2017.  He's electric.  And even though he gets hammered for not being a pass catcher (like his old teammate McCaffrey), he improved on that front and i think he can continue to do so.  

The ability to change gears is as good as it gets and he has the hips and balance to make his cuts at near top speed.  But what really separates him from other guys who were just fast like CJ Spiller and Keith Marshall is the vision.  He anticipates his creases and adjusts accordingly.  He sees the space that other runners can't see and/or get through.

I am amazed at how creative he was in 2017.  That Stanford run blocking fell off pretty hard after 2016, and it was legitimately bad in 2018.  But Love doesn't need high end sustained blocking to set the table for him because his speed wipes out angles of pursuit in the second level.  He can fit through tiny creases and all you have to do for him on downfield/second level blocks is just get in the way and disrupt for a moment.

Between Haskins, McLaurin, and Love, it looks like we might have gotten three impact players on offense.  Holcomb and Harmon and Moreland all seem like excellent value for where they were drafted and Holcomb already looks like a solid starter.  And perhaps Sweat won't be elite, but he has a chance to be a really good all around player too.  I think our 2019 class could go down as one of the best the Redskins have pulled in.  I could see it being a 6 or 7 man core that becomes the backbone of our roster and springboards us to competitiveness in the way Dallas' 2016 class did for them.

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hockenson has a monster game yesterday, one of my guys, and had I plenty of company on him. A lot of us liked him.

My guy Marquise Brown, one person here really mocked me for liking him.  Off to a big start.  So will see.  😀

Still wish Hockenson could have dropped to the Redskins. 

When I saw Hollywood blowing up I thought of you. He was definitely your guy. If he can stay healthy he will be a force for a long time.

4 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Depending on how good McLaurin truly is where I'd go in the 2020 draft. If he looks like a star we should probably go with Andrew Thomas or Walker Little. If his production dips off and he looks like a WR2 then I'd probably drift towards one of the WR prospects. 

Love this receiver group but I am with you about O line first.  If Trent though comes back, I got some doubts they'd draft his replacement now.  But they got some issues if what some beat guys say are correct which includes if Trent returns without a raise he will hold out next year too and the Scherff negotiation supposedly is going poorly. 

I think our O line with everyone in place is overrated.  But you mix some of this stuff in then its a real worry to me. 

7 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Depending on how good McLaurin truly is where I'd go in the 2020 draft. If he looks like a star we should probably go with Andrew Thomas or Walker Little. If his production dips off and he looks like a WR2 then I'd probably drift towards one of the WR prospects. 

Big time yes to Andrew Thomas, he's one of my favorite players that I've watched so far.  But I don't really like what I've seen from Little so far.  We'll see where he's at by the end of the season, but so far I would say he doesn't look ready for the NFL yet.

Our offensive line needs have gotten dire, and the free agency class is probably not going to be that good, but I would still argue that we need to go BPA in the draft.  There is almost no bigger opportunity cost you can pay than passing on a stud to fill a need with a lesser player.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Big time yes to Andrew Thomas, he's one of my favorite players that I've watched so far.  But I don't really like what I've seen from Little so far.  We'll see where he's at by the end of the season, but so far I would say he doesn't look ready for the NFL yet.

Our offensive line needs have gotten dire, and the free agency class is probably not going to be that good, but I would still argue that we need to go BPA in the draft.  There is almost no bigger opportunity cost you can pay than passing on a stud to fill a need with a lesser player.

Agree and that BPA may well be at DB or Edge, which won't be a bad thing with Norman and Kerrigan tailing off in production rapidly.

Archived