Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Random Hootie anecdote. When I first moved to NC, way back in 2000, I dated an entertainment lawyer. Her firm's biggest client was Hootie. Can't stand the music, but I hung out with them several times. Huge Skins fans, at least a few of 'em. Nice dudes too.

33 minutes ago, JCB said:

Random Hootie anecdote. When I first moved to NC, way back in 2000, I dated an entertainment lawyer. Her firm's biggest client was Hootie. Can't stand the music, but I hung out with them several times. Huge Skins fans, at least a few of 'em. Nice dudes too.

Always took them for Dolphins fans, but maybe the team made them cry too much.

I'll see myself out.

On 6/2/2019 at 11:49 AM, Anselmheifer said:

I’ve been listening to the Keim podcasts about mini camp and the OL situation is distressing. No healthy bodies at tackle. Literally bringing guys in off the street. Can’t run a passing offense in 11 on 11’s because the defense is abusing the OL so badly.  At least we have some bodies at WR.

I think that there is a significant chance that we are forced to choose an OT in the first this year. 

Ahem. Bumping this idea given Trent's situation. If we aren't in a position to draft Jeudy, I might rather have an OT in the 1st than a WR. Depending on the talent available. 

Have to make adjustments and use six man protections to cover up our LT play, but if Moses gets hurt too, there is nothing we can do aside from a complete reshuffle.

We're entering the ten year mark with Trent, so it was going to be time to replace him soon anyway.  But looks like he's going to make it a necessity next offseason.  Douche move on his part.  Wish we had traded him during the draft.

On 6/6/2019 at 2:43 PM, DWinzit said:

Yup, along with the top two LT's  Georgia's Andrew Thomas and Stanford's Walker Little

Definitely a good draft for a Tackle, good 1st round depth it seems. WR is also good in this draft but I think its definitely less of a priority now. 

On 6/7/2019 at 6:46 PM, Burgundy Yoda said:

Definitely a good draft for a Tackle, good 1st round depth it seems. WR is also good in this draft but I think its definitely less of a priority now. 

Tough call.  I want an O lineman badly.  But this coming draft might be historic as for #1 type receivers.  I value a LT over a receiver.  But I'd value an Odell Beckham type really highly as is the comp by some to Jeudy.  We've struggled at finding receivers in the draft just as much as QB if not more.  It's really tempting to try to fix that.

On 6/12/2019 at 1:56 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Tough call.  I want an O lineman badly.  But this coming draft might be historic as for #1 type receivers.  I value a LT over a receiver.  But I'd value an Odell Beckham type really highly as is the comp by some to Jeudy.  

If Jeudy isn’t a possibility, I’d be fine with a LT or a RT. Lots of teams find great receivers in the late rounds of the draft. Harder to do that with OT’s.

Look at the quickness and short area lateral agility/explosion Jeudy shows in that clip above. He’s like the Saquon Barkley of quickness and route running. A generational talent. IMHO, Jeudy’s quickness isn’t defensible. He should catch 100 balls a year. I think he’s worth a Julio Jones sized trade up. 

2 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I love jeudy. Would love to draft him

But then i remember about 4 years ago there was another receiver i wanted us to draft and we did in the first round and he hasnt lived up to what we all hoped.

Ahhh Rod Gardner

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 10:14 AM, Anselmheifer said:

If Jeudy isn’t a possibility, I’d be fine with a LT or a RT. Lots of teams find great receivers in the late rounds of the draft. Harder to do that with OT’s.

Look at the quickness and short area lateral agility/explosion Jeudy shows in that clip above. He’s like the Saquon Barkley of quickness and route running. A generational talent. IMHO, Jeudy’s quickness isn’t defensible. He should catch 100 balls a year. I think he’s worth a Julio Jones sized trade up. 

I agree that for LT the elite ones are not all that often found outside of the top rounds, but IIRC OL in general is actually one of the position groups where you're more likely to find really good talent in the 2nd through mid rounds. 

As far as Jeudy I think he'll definitely be an excellent receiver and his quickness/moves are ludicrous, but his size might keep him out of Julio Jones/Megatron territory as a draft prospect. I think he's 6'0 and 190 lbs or something. Obviously not small but not that "prototypical" elite #1 size that those can't miss generational types tend to have. 

I am torn on it. On one front I value LT more.  But also the idea of finding a #1 receiver in the draft is like a pipe dream for this organization.   When was the last hit in the draft as for a #1 receiver, Art Monk?  So if this is indeed a historic draft for receivers with a rare chance to get a bonafide #1 type -- its very tempting.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS - YES

The Redskins don’t have any receiver who resembles an NFL WR1, while Alabama has three that could get there. While Washington has intriguing young options, they just don’t have the ceiling that the Crimson Tide receivers do.

On 6/7/2019 at 6:46 PM, Burgundy Yoda said:

Experts claimed it was a down year for OL, it turns out it’s not a down year for any position. 🤨

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am torn on it. On one front I value LT more.  But also the idea of finding a #1 receiver in the draft is like a pipe dream for this organization.   When was the last hit in the draft as for a #1 receiver, Art Monk?  So if this is indeed a historic draft for receivers with a rare chance to get a bonafide #1 type -- its very tempting.

On rookie deals? Everyone ...

other than Clemson.

You ready? Let's get it on! The best twenty 2020 eligible prospects I've watched through June 29, 2019:

#20. WR JALEN REAGOR, TCU

If you like your receivers fast, you came to the right spot. I'm talking like "Taco Bell working its way through your digestive track fast", people. Reagor has some pretty slick ball skills, too -- making him a fascinating prospect entering the 2020 NFL season. I look at the strengths and weaknesses of Hollywood Brown and I compare them to Reagor and that is all the blueprint I need to consider a talent of Reagor's quality as a potential 1st-round player when it is all said and done.

#19. RB D'ANDRE SWIFT, GEORGIA

Swift looks a hell of a lot like that created player you roll out in Madden and run shop with -- he's big, fast, powerful, nimble, good in the pass game and provides some lethal cuts in the open field. If you want to see an impressive body count, count up the number of victims Swift has claimed on the second level. He'll get a big chance in 2019 to prove he's a featured back.

#18. IOL TYLER BIADASZ, WISCONSIN

I'm fixing to go "Taken" on the NFL Draft Advisory Committee after finding out that these people gave Biadasz a "Go Back To School" grades last winter. Why don't you guys hit the road and go back to school yourselves -- or at least the eye doctor. Biadasz is a war daddy up front who projects favorably well into any offensive system, bringing power, lateral mobility, intelligence and a stout anchor to the table.

#17. S ISAIAH SIMMONS, CLEMSON

This dude runs like the wind -- he's a graceful, lanky defender who has a ton of range. Simmons flirted with the prospect of entering the 2019 NFL Draft as a rSoph before deciding to come back to school for another year. It's a move I think he'll appreciate, for all of his athleticism Simmons is only a one year starter. As terrifying as it is to concede, he can still get better and more consistent.

#16. CB PAULSON ADEBO, STANFORD

6-foot-1, 190 pounds and super physical. Adebo is that corner who will rock you at the line of scrimmage, but he's also that guy that is going to throw you around at the catch point -- no fake toughness here from him. I love his tenacity and ability to pick the ball up in flight (he had 4 INT and 17 passes defensed as a sophomore in 2018).

#15. DE CHASE YOUNG, OHIO STATE

Teams like Ohio State really shouldn't be allowed to transition from Joey Bosa to Nick Bosa to Chase Young -- save some for the rest of us, guys. Young is potent, providing a very sudden first step and the cornering ability to a top tier speed rusher. But Young's biggest play of 2018 was against the run -- his 4th down stuff against Penn State on the road to preserve a comeback victory. Young can thrive as a gap penetration defender on all 3 downs.

#14. CB KRISTIAN FULTON, LSU

LSU will miss Greedy Williams for sure, but Fulton was actually the better cornerback in 2018. Miss me with your alternate opinions. Fulton is very smooth in isolation -- despite his length and high hips. But he's still got that pop at the LOS that will dislodge receivers from their preferred release and he's got tremendous ball skills.

#13. RB TRAVIS ETIENNE, CLEMSON

Etienne is my RB1 at this juncture -- I've still got plenty of a highly talented 2020 running back class to digest but thus far this is my guy. Etienne has elite contact balance, much like D'Andre Swift. What is the divider? I think Etienne is more dynamic. I think he's got a better long gear and I think he's a touch more bursty in the hole. Both are studs, I just prefer Etienne.

#12. DE AJ EPENESA, IOWA

My quick thoughts on Epenesa? He's worth the hype. A powerful presence off the edge who will catch you off guard with some really surprising nimble cornering on his outside rush, Epenesa fits the mold of the kind of defensive ends a lot of pro teams are looking for -- the heavy hands, the stout anchor, the length. Draft Twitter loves bendy speed rushers -- Epenesa isn't that. But he's built in a more important way -- the way that the guys making the actual picks seem to covet.

#11. S XAVIER MCKINNEY, ALABAMA

McKinney is diverse, my friends. I know it may be a surprise to see him sitting above Isaiah Simmons -- they're kind of cut from the same cloth. But McKinney is a more polished player and doesn't fall back on his athletic ability quite as hard as I saw at times from the Clemson product. McKinney can do a whole lot for you on defense -- man to man, deep zone, run support, blitzing off the edge.

#10. WR CEEDEE LAMB, OKLAHOMA

I have some thoughts on a player comparison for CeeDee Lamb, but I'm also pretty hesitant to compare a college player to DeAndre Hopkin--ah shoot. I wrote it out there, didn't I. Yep. Well, now that we're here, it's time to sell it. Lamb doesn't have the size you might think he does, but he's really smooth getting off the LOS, he's got elite body control, phenomenal hands and makes an impact on all 3 levels of the defense. He's a stud.

#9. OT TRISTAN WIRFS, IOWA

Speaking of studs, Wirfs might be the best player you haven't heard about yet. This is a massive human being, but he defies logic with how well he moves for his size. This isn't just an athlete, either -- he frames his blocks really well, shows great anchor vs. power rushes and has all the requisite measurables to play OT in the NFL. WIrfs is a blue chipper on the right side of the line.

#8. LB DYLAN MOSES, ALABAMA

Moses has some Roquan Smith qualities to his game -- he'll of course need to prove he's become the same quick triggered decision maker that Smith became at Georgia before he solidifies his standing this high up any draft boards. Remember, he IS a linebacker after all. But Moses has tremendous range, he was the better linebacker for all of 2018 between he and Mack Wilson and the difference between the two in run fits and challenging blocks was pretty steep.

#7. CB BRYCE HALL, VIRGINIA

I respect the hell out of Bryce Hall for going back to school. With that said, Bryce Hall could have came out last year and been CB1, especially in hindsight after watching Deandre Baker become the first corner off the board at 30 overall. Hall has elite ball skills (21 passes defensed in 2018) and tackles extremely well. He's a well rounded defender.

#6. OT ANDREW THOMAS, GEORGIA

Joe Marino put Andrew Thomas high on my priority list this past week and woo buddy he didn't disappoint. Thomas is listed at 320 pounds but you wouldn't guess it by looking at him -- he carries his weight extremely well. He's great in pass protection and at Georgia he's had plenty of exposure to the ground and pound of a rush heavy attack, too.

#5. DL DERRICK BROWN, AUBURN

Brown was a slow grower for me. The more I watched, the more I appreciated just how quick his is -- how disruptive off the line. No, this isn't a Quinnen Williams caliber player, but that's okay. Quinnen is one of the three highest grades I've given out in the last three years. Brown plays best when he's able to drive into the backfield -- he'll make plays against both the pass and run there. If he can get more disciplined to settle down a step earlier, his production in the backfield will swell in 2019.

#4. QB JUSTIN HERBERT, OREGON

Big. Athletic. Looks like a quarterback. I'm just kidding of course -- these are the cliches we've seen thrown around for former top-10 picks like Josh Allen and Daniel Jones in years before him. Herbert is, in my opinion, much more advanced as a passer than either one of those two -- making him a strong candidate to be a top-3 or top-5 pick when it is all said and done next April.

#3. QB TUA TAGOVAILOA, ALABAMA

I'm sure this is considered blasphemy -- putting the #TankForTua target at #3 overall and not the best player of the millennium. My suggestion if you're offended? Make your own rankings. Tua is mentally sharp, accurate and effective within and outside the pocket alike. Is he the same physical talent as Herbert? No. But he's built dense (230 pounds) yet still mobile and will tear you to shreds. Tua needs to pick up backside safeties a little better in 2019 but he's so far along as a passer that he claims the title of QB1 -- for now.

#2. S GRANT DELPIT, LSU

A true playmaker. Delpit is all over the field -- I'd argue his 2018 film is better than anyone on that LSU defense, including #5 overall pick in 2019 Devin White. His football IQ is off the charts, he's anticipating plays before his teammates have even sniffed the read. A tough tackler with good ball skills to boot, Delpit can do anything you ask him on defense. Except maybe play nose tackle.

#1. WR JERRY JEUDY, ALABAMA

I've made this quip before -- but we as scouts talk about a second gear? Jeudy is a 10-speed. His open field cuts are so, so sharp -- he's embarrassing folks out there. He's unquestionably the best player I've watched this summer to date. Which is saying a lot -- because Delpit is a monster in his own right.

Based on the fact only 8 players haven been picked in the last 10 years of supplemental drafts, and we've picked 2 of them, I'd say there is a possibility we are going to be in action again. 

Jalen Thompson is intriguing but may go higher than we'd pitch. Worth keeping an eye on though.

23 hours ago, oraphus said:

i'd go a 5th for JT.... this could possibly cement the Safeties and mend a major hole for the skins.

I read a write up about him from Brugler who likes him and rates him as a 3rd-4th round talent.  According to Craig Hoffman they did have their eye on some FS in the drafts and considered taking Mike Edwards.  So in this supposedly win now season I wonder if they go for it.

Some of the beat guys have suggested this off season that last year's supplemental pick, Adonis Alexander might not make the team -- they noticed he wasn't really in the thick if things in practices and didn't get many reps. 

Archived