Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I read a write up about him from Brugler who likes him and rates him as a 3rd-4th round talent.  According to Craig Hoffman they did have their eye on some FS in the drafts and considered taking Mike Edwards.  So in this supposedly win now season I wonder if they go for it.

Based on us being a 2nd rounder down already, that's why I'd b inclined to think his price may be too rich. Are we gonna offer a 3 or 4, not sure. 

However, we do need a FS in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I read a write up about him from Brugler who likes him and rates him as a 3rd-4th round talent.  According to Craig Hoffman they did have their eye on some FS in the drafts and considered taking Mike Edwards.  So in this supposedly win now season I wonder if they go for it.

I dont think the team has a lot of faith in Nickelson. I mean they are saying all the right things publicly.. but in reality if they had any trust in him they wouldn't have picked up Dix and continued starting Dix even as he struggled. They also tried to resign Dix as FA even though he didn't play all that well. I think there is a really big hole at FS right now.. and if the team sees JT as a potential starter and one of supposed top FS in 2020 draft, they need to go all in maybe even as high as a 4th rd pick.

2. Alabama WR Henry Ruggs is a legit WR1 candidate

Before you all get in my mentions, I have Jerry Jeudy as the top wide receiver prospect heading into the college football season. With that being said, I think Henry Ruggs is on the verge of becoming a superstar. He has legit 4.2 speed and is a monster at the catch point. His combination of explosiveness, elusiveness, and body control makes him one of the hardest players to cover in college football. If he continues to refine his craft as a route runner, I think he will be a human cheat code at wide receiver in the NFL.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/tuls--takes-1.0--henry-ruggs-wr1-nfl-playoffs-okc-thunder

I have to admit, and this may sound like blasphemy, but depending on the year he has I could potentially see taking Ruggs over Jeudy. I know I know...Jeudy is a special WR (he is), he runs great routes (he does), and has great hands (he does)...but if Ruggs continues to refine his route running I could see him as an even harder guy to cover in the NFL due to his speed. He apparently ran a 4.25 40 at Bama's junior pro day, which puts him in Tyreek Hill territory, but bigger, more polished, and not a garbage human being. That's a guy who will add an entire new dimension to your offense the second he steps on the field, even if his route running isn't as polished as some other guys in the NFL.

Jeudy would probably be a safer pick though and Ruggs will likely be there a bit later. I'm guessing Jeudy will be going top 5 next April. Not that that puts us out of the running in any way...we have plenty of potential to suck big time this year. 

13 hours ago, mistertim said:

I have to admit, and this may sound like blasphemy, but depending on the year he has I could potentially see taking Ruggs over Jeudy. I know I know...Jeudy is a special WR (he is), he runs great routes (he does), and has great hands (he does)...but if Ruggs continues to refine his route running I could see him as an even harder guy to cover in the NFL due to his speed. He apparently ran a 4.25 40 at Bama's junior pro day, which puts him in Tyreek Hill territory, but bigger, more polished, and not a garbage human being. That's a guy who will add an entire new dimension to your offense the second he steps on the field, even if his route running isn't as polished as some other guys in the NFL.

Yeah he seems like a Desean Jackson Part 2 possibility but bigger and I'd presume more durable.   His stats aren't anything special yet but its hard to put up numbers in an offense with so many stars.  

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah he seems like a Desean Jackson Part 2 possibility but bigger and I'd presume more durable.   His stats aren't anything special yet but its hard to put up numbers in an offense with so many stars.  

One thing I did notice about Ruggs is that when I watch his game tape, he doesn't look that fast to me. He looks fast, but not 4.25 fast. Maybe it's just my perception but I was surprised that his timed speed was that ludicrous as it doesn't seem like he actually plays that fast. When you watched a guy like DJax you could immediately see that speed...it just popped on tape from the get-go. I don't really see it as much with Ruggs, but again I could be way off. 

Former Washington State safety Jalen Thompson worked out in front of more than two dozen teams this afternoon in Los Angeles and the reviews have been positive.

Twenty-six teams were on hand for Thompson’s workout including the director of scouting for the Houston Texans.  He measured 5103 and 186 pounds with hands at 8 3/8 inches and an arm length of 31 ¼ inches.

Thompson hit 33.5 inches in the vertical jump, 10-feet-4-inches in the broad jump and completed 11 reps on the bench press.  As I reported on twitter, his initial forty time came in around 4.47 seconds with his second clocking 4.56 seconds.

The other marks included 11.68 seconds in the 60-yard shuttle, 4.61 seconds in the short shuttle and 6.98 seconds in the three cone. The position drills were run primarily by the Atlanta Falcons, though other teams stepped in and requested specific drills.

Thompson is meeting with the Green Bay Packers this afternoon as the team has shown a lot of interest in the safety.  Other teams lining up for Thompson included the New England Patriots, Los Angeles Rams, Miami Dolphins, Indianapolis Colts and Arizona Cardinals.

Stamped as a fourth-round prospect by several scouts this spring, the feeling is Thompson will get drafted somewhere in the later rounds during Wednesday’s supplemental draft, which begins at 1PM.

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-workout-jalen-thompson

I just watched a game from Marcus Simms and I liked what I saw.  I couldn't find more than one though so just watched that one and his highlights

4.4 speed and he looks it -- he's explosive.  Looks like they played him exclusively on the left or close to exclusive on that side.  The left in the NFL is typically the X receiver spot so that would mean he'd be behind Doctson if that carried here.  I've read that the Redskins are looking at both Sims and McClaurin at the Z so I am gathering if so it might not be a bad idea to push the X spot.  Harmon maybe plays X but looks like they are also going to try him out as a big slot guy.

They didn't press Simms much from what I saw so hard to tell if he can beat press coverage.   But he has some moves to get open especially deep.   He has some girth to him so he's not like a Richardson or Desean type -- in other words can he might be less injury prone.    He has some YAC in him -- elusive in open field.  Nothing distinguished him as a blocker from what I saw. 

He seems to have good-sticky hands.  And he can return kicks. 

If they can get him in the 5th-6th round range I'd jump at it.   The caveat would be off field checking out.  From what I saw he's had 2 DUI's among other issues. 

7 hours ago, volsmet said:

Clarington is the most interesting of the supplemental guys imo. I’d grab him with a 7.

I haven't watched him, I notice most are saying he won't be taken at all in the draft.  But I guess will see.   Marcus Simms to me is intriguing albeit I don't see how they fit him on the roster and I worry about the character stuff.    Jalen Thompson is getting the most hype and supposedly the Packers love the dude.

Clarington definitely a big dude who fits a position of need. 

Reagor is my dude, love that kid. This, again, is the most impressive WR class in nfl history by a significant margin.

I still laugh about the experts who knocked this OL class, it’s infinitely better than last years, it’s absolutely loaded. 

We need more picks. Reagor & Shenault in trade downs over  the Bammers in the top 5. Shenault + Wirfs >>>>>>>>. Haskins needs Shenault & Wirfs. Of course, Wirfs continues to climb the boards & Shenault May get into the top 10... he’d have been the best wr in the 2019 class.

The CB class is significantly underrated as well. This draft class is unbelievable everywhere. 

Group grades based on eligibility for the 2020 draft:

QB: 10

WR: 10/10.5

Edge: 10/1000.5

OL: 10

CB: 9/9.5

DT: 9/9.5

ilb & s are positions I haven’t looked at as closely. The RB class looks solid. A great GM will set his team up for years in this draft. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't watched him, I notice most are saying he won't be taken at all in the draft.  But I guess will see.   Marcus Simms to me is intriguing albeit I don't see how they fit him on the roster and I worry about the character stuff.    Jalen Thompson is getting the most hype and supposedly the Packers love the dude.

Clarington definitely a big dude who fits a position of need. 

Clarington is a huge, physical athlete with strong hands. He will probably bust, his routes are grotesque, but he loves to hit people and he has the tools to develop if you get him to buy in. 

I don’t see a lot in Simms & I didn’t see enough of Thompson in coverage to form much of an opinion on him, I just love the upside Clarington possesses for a 7. I doubt he gets selected, he’s not going to help anyone in the near future.... but you may be able to stick him on the ps & teach him how to rush the passer, he’s an intriguing athlete & we lack athleticism. Mold him for a couple years & cut him if he’s not buying in. We can always pick up 7th rounders...and I hope we do.

Edge class is insane. I need some random guys to watch. 

Watching Utah this week someone stood out as a potential round 1 Edge in a class that seems it may have 33 round 1 Edge’s.

• Sports Illustrated ranks Utah EDGE Bradlee Anae 22nd among college football football player for the 2019 season.

Anae has been getting a lot of hype from both college football writers and draft analysts as of late, and it might be compensation for being pretty darn underrated over the last two years for the Utes while picking up 14 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks in 2019. "Anae is an explosive athlete on the edge who’s too quick for most offensive tackles to deal with," the SI editors write, "and he’ll return this fall as part of a defense that has a real chance to be top-15 in the country for a second-straight year."

Jul 11, 2019, 9:00 PM ET

Why they pay me the big bucks.

The Athletic's Bruce Feldman lists Iowa junior T Tristan Wirfs at No. 1 on his annual "Freaks List."

Wirfs (6'5/320) set the Iowa record with four power clean reps of 450 pounds. Obviously impressive. But even crazier that he's only a true junior. Wirfs is arguably the best tackle prospect heading into the 2019 college football season, and he'll have zero troubles at the NFL Combine. His sophomore tape and athleticism are good enough to consider Wirfs as a top-10 potential prospect. Wirfs is competing with Walker Little and Andrew Thomas as OT1 early in the process.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Jul 12, 2019, 6:51 PM ET

Archived