Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Bryce Love RB Stanford

PCS

12 hours ago, mistertim said:

I can see the possibility of the other two potentially affecting his speed (at least at first). But his age? The guy just turned 23 last month.

Yeah, I was thinking “he isn’t 18 anymore” but it isn’t a big factor yet for him. The severity of the injury and almost 2 year layoff are a much bigger a factor in his comeback.

Love looks like a 4.5 guy- not necessarily a bad thing. Lol... I have no clue, just my ignorant thought when looking at his highlights. He also looks about 200 pounds, smallish. Size isn’t too much of a concern with how backs are used these days. 

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What I like...

He's fluid.

He's decisive.

No hesitation.

No wasted motion.

Efficiency of movement.

Uses blockers well, sees the field well, turns effortlessly on a dime without losing momentum. Guy has every tool you want to see really.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Love looks like a 4.5 guy- not necessarily a bad thing. Lol... I have no clue, just my ignorant thought when looking at his highlights. He also looks about 200 pounds, smallish. Size isn’t too much of a concern these days with how backs are used these days. 

Not sure where you're getting the 4.5 thing. He ran a 4.4 at the All-American Bowl in 2013 before college and in college he often ran away from DBs who are usually the fastest guys on the field. If he hadn't been injured and ran for the combine in 2019 I'd guess he'd have been somewhere between the mid-high 4.3s and low 4.4s.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Love looks like a 4.5 guy- not necessarily a bad thing. Lol... I have no clue, just my ignorant thought when looking at his highlights. He also looks about 200 pounds, smallish. Size isn’t too much of a concern these days with how backs are used these days. 

Doesn't look like a 4.5 guy to me when watching his cutups. 

HTT?

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Not sure where you're getting the 4.5 thing. He ran a 4.4 at the All-American Bowl in 2013 before college and in college he often ran away from DBs who are usually the fastest guys on the field. If he hadn't been injured and ran for the combine in 2019 I'd guess he'd have been somewhere between the mid-high 4.3s and low 4.4s.

1 hour ago, arftech said:

Doesn't look like a 4.5 guy to me when watching his cutups. 

HTT?

According to Bleacher Report, it's 4.35

(dated 2017)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2746737-bryce-love-is-more-than-a-435-40-stanford-star-crushes-speed-back-stereotype

9 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Any chance he lost speed with weight gain? Is it official somewhere that he ran a 4.35? 

I have no clue, not anything I’m willing to stand on strongly, just don’t see it in the highlights. For example, Barkley clearly seems to have different kind of top end speed. Barkley seems to run away and Love appears to be fast enough to not get caught.  Just some fun, as I have zero concrete evidence. 

13 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Any chance he lost speed with weight gain? Is it official somewhere that he ran a 4.35? 

Looks like he was able gain muscle and weight, while shedding fat. It was very strategic

" (His strength coach ) Turley's goal was to get him stronger and more flexible without sacrificing that speed. Over the course of his career at Stanford, Love has gained 16 pounds while shedding body fat; he can bench-press 345 pounds nearly 20 reps at a time. By utilizing targeted exercises, Turley helped Love develop more flexibility in his hips, lower body, ankles and spine, which allowed him to develop the kind of spin moves and jump cuts that have baffled so many defenders this season."

14 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I have no clue, not anything I’m willing to stand on strongly, just don’t see it in the highlights. For example, Barkley clearly seems to have different kind of top end speed. Barkley seems to run away and Love appears to be fast enough to not get caught.  Just some fun, as I have zero concrete evidence. 

The only "official" thing I was able to find was the 4.4 flat in HS at the All-American Bowl. And yes he gained some weight since then, but as per the BR article @Malapropismic Depository referenced he gained muscle weight while shedding fat and improving his agility, balance, etc so I could see him still being the same speed or maybe even a little faster now.

I saw the BR report as well, and it did say he was a 4.35 guy, but I couldn't find where that was "official", so it very well may be a time he was clocked at by the team in college but since it wasn't at a an "official" event like a combine, etc it wasn't necessarily counted.

Dear Bryce -

You don't know us, but we're very interested in seeing you succeed for the Washington Reds... somethings.  You went to Stanford, so you're probably reasonably intelligent.  On behalf of all WFT fans, please...

...don't threaten anyone with a gun,

beat up strangers at a bar,

punch your girlfriend,

sell drugs,

or drive under the influence.

It's not a high bar, but it would sure help us want to cheer for you on Sundays (not Mondays we suck on Mondays).

Sincerely,

A disillusioned fan base

Great breakdown from Mark Bullock: https://theathletic.com/1984960/2020/08/11/can-bryce-love-regain-form-to-fill-the-void-left-by-derrius-guice-in-backfield/?source=dailyemail

I worry though--and this applies to Foster as well--how much of his physical ability was lost to injury? How many players have come back from this type of knee injury to be 60-70-80% effective?

On 8/10/2020 at 4:06 AM, wit33 said:

Saquon Barkley runs a 4.66 and is 233 lbs. No way he's faster than Bryce Love.

His football speed is very impressive.  The mental capacity to play instinctive and let it rip will ultimately determine his results.  I view him as a player that was fortunate to enter the NFL without any pressure to rehab quickly and just do it right.  Hope the best for his come back. 

17 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Great breakdown from Mark Bullock: https://theathletic.com/1984960/2020/08/11/can-bryce-love-regain-form-to-fill-the-void-left-by-derrius-guice-in-backfield/?source=dailyemail

I worry though--and this applies to Foster as well--how much of his physical ability was lost to injury? How many players have come back from this type of knee injury to be 60-70-80% effective?

There's a guy ahead of him on the depth chart that came back and rushed for over 2,000 yards and had an MVP season almost breaking the single season rushing record.  Nothing to worry about.  Even Foster had an arguably worse injury than Jaylon Smith but regained feeling months faster than Smith.  Took Smith 18 months and Foster 8 months.  I think they're progressing just about right.  First year back they need to stay healthy and improve.  Washington isn't winning any trophies this year. 

51 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Saquon Barkley runs a 4.66 and is 233 lbs. No way he's faster than Bryce Love.

His football speed is very impressive.  The mental capacity to play instinctive and let it rip will ultimately determine his results.  I view him as a player that was fortunate to enter the NFL without any pressure to rehab quickly and just do it right.  Hope the best for his come back. 

Barkley ran an official 4.4 at 30+ lbs heavier than Love. Not sure where you got 4.66. He’s  a much more impressive athlete. But I also hope Love has kept that speed though, that would add an important dynamic for us. 

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim this morning said he heard that Love's knee is now structurally fine what he doesn't know if he's the same player now. 

I think a lot of that is more mental than anything. Curious how much he'll lean on AP since he went through the same sort of situation and came back like a boss.

20 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

1221490590_Annotation2020-08-13110131.thumb.png.97f2f62ecd0acb2bdf28b936397f0e71.png

Those are not his combine numbers. He ran an official 4.40. If anything that looks like his 40 as a HS recruit, although I can’t imagine he already weighed 233 then. Looks like that site is conflating some measurements from different time periods, that or he was always over 230 from the moment he stepped on campus which, while his quads were always insane, seems unlikely. 

But it doesn’t matter because he participated in the combine and ran an official 4.40 at 230+. It’s easily verifiable. No need to dig for older numbers. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Those are not his combine numbers. He ran an official 4.40. If anything that looks like his 40 as a HS recruit, although I can’t imagine he already weighed 233 then. Looks like that site is conflating some measurements from different time periods, that or he was always over 230 from the moment he stepped on campus which, while his quads were always insane, seems unlikely. 

But it doesn’t matter because he participated in the combine and ran an official 4.40 at 230+. It’s easily verifiable. No need to dig for older numbers. 

I believe you're right, for the mere fact that it only lists his High School team, and not his college team.

So I would conclude that he had not yet reached college, and this was looking at him as a HS recruit, entering college.

Archived