Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

30 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

My guess is Terry knows his relative worth on this team and is asking for bank, but is also asking for an "out," knowing a ****storm is brewing on the horizon and I'd be surprised if this coaching staff would still be here two years from now.

Agreed. I’ve floated the proposal that we offer him a short term, couple of years, fully guaranteed deal. Add voidable years to spread the cap hit. He gets to decide on his next big pay day at that point when he’s 29/30 years old or whatever he will be then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SpacePenguin said:

You know, at this point, with the ownership and this horrible rebrand, I am torn between wanting Terry to leave and him being re-signed. Reason being, I think I would finally be able to stop being a fan of this mess if they dont re-sign him.

I really should've been able to when Cousins left. I'm ashamed of myself for sitting through Alex Smith, even though I knew he was average at best and hated that trade with every fiber of my being.

I like Terry McClaurin enough that I'm hoping that'll be the final straw.

****in' Commanders is such a terrible thing, I don't even say it aloud. The owner is....the owner. These jerseys are ****ing hideous. The DC is fighting a culture war on twitter for some reason. How could anyone blame Terry for not wanting to play here?

I'll be one of the last fans left.  I don't attach myself to any player because they come and go; for whatever reason.

If Terry does leave; expect this scenario to play out in the future with other players. Chase and Montez will probably have worse time; getting new deals.

I think as a fan; one needs to change the mindset about rooting for a player. The days of player spending their career with a team are gone. I think we see, as the salary cap goes up and gambling money flows in; the days of a player spending more than one contract with a team will be gone. The smart teams will find that tying dollars in big contracts isn't the best way. They will become college like and adapt to losing players all the time; by being able to draft replacements. So, your fandom becomes more college like, as you expect players to be replaced every few years. The only player who may have a long career with a team, is a qb.

As for Terry, I want him to be able to experience stability and have a time with one qb.  There's no guarantee he gets that here. Wentz is on a one year trial- no guarantee he's here beyond that.  I am more amenable to letting him go because; we drafted a replacement. 

Edited by 88Comrade2000

4 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I'll be one of the last fans left.  I don't attach myself to any player because they come and go; for whatever reason.

If Terry does leave; expect this scenario to play out in the future with other players. Chase and Montez will probably have worse time; getting new deals.

I think as a fan; one needs to change the mindset about rooting for a player. The days of player spending their career with a team are gone. I think we see, as the salary cap goes up and gambling money flows in; the days of a player spending more than one contract with a team will be gone. The smart teams will find that tying dollars in big contracts isn't the best way. They will become college like and adapt to losing players all the time; by being able to draft replacements. So, your fandom becomes more college like, as you expect players to be replaced every few years. The only player who may have a long career with a team, is an.

As for Terry, I want him to be able to experience stability and have a time with one qb.  There's no guarantee he gets that here. Wentz is on a one year trial- no guarantee he's here beyond that.  I am more amenable to letting him go because; we drafted a replacement. 

The thing is.. you don't let him go and draft a replacement if you intend to make him your poster child for the rebrand. That's just stupid business.

Why is it the owners and GM’s always getting spat on, here we’ll deserved, an not the player. Terry signed the contract, play it out. He knew well going into the league what the first contact is. I’m not a fan of Snyder at all, but expect some hits  back. 
Seems sports is the only companies that contracts don’t matter. 
Now I will say he does deserve a new contract, as good as he is. 
I own a small construction company, I cannot go to the home owner and say I underbid this job and need more money or I won’t finish the project. 
just my 2 cents. 

• Thumb down 3

38 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

they won't give him the ~20 mill you say he'll never get back (which i completely agree),  the ~1.8mill lost to sit 11 of 17 to force a trade may very well be worth it.  Gets him away from this team in 2023 and on to a team that will guarantee more

But it won’t because they’ll just franchise him.  And then he’s at the mercy of a team willing to trade him.

Its not worth it in any way, under any circumstance, for him not to sign a LTD with somebody this year.  There is no math that can justify it.  None.  

18 minutes ago, Acworth skins fan said:

Why is it the owners and GM’s always getting spat on, here we’ll deserved, an not the player. Terry signed the contract, play it out. He knew well going into the league what the first contact is. I’m not a fan of Snyder at all, but expect some hits  back. 
I own a small construction company, I cannot go to the home owner and say I underbid this job and need more money or I won’t finish the project. 
just my 2 cents. 

No offense but I see this comparison a lot, and it’s apples to oranges.  Your contracts to perform construction work are entirely different than sports contracts.  It’s not even healthy to pretend they are in any way alike.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No offense but I see this comparison a lot, and it’s apples to oranges.  Your contracts to perform construction work are entirely different than sports contracts.  It’s not even healthy to pretend they are in any way alike.

The principal is the same, but would like to hear why it isnt

Edited by Acworth skins fan
Left out a thought

42 minutes ago, Acworth skins fan said:

just my 2 cents. 

Rookie contracts are essentially forced on to you. You don't really negotiate anything, you're slotted into your contract based on your draft position.

McLaurin has VASTLY outperformed his rookie deal. Hell as a 3rd round pick he's pretty much already outperformed his deal after his rookie year. He's entitled to renegotiate and get his worth.

The league makes billions, largely off the backs of guys like McLaurin who make pennies(relatively). We would all 100% do the exact same thing in his situation and you're full of S if you say otherwise.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

This team has had a long history of not taking care of their own.  It wouldn't surprise me if Terry's situation goes the Cousins route and they let him walk in a few years.

Yes under the old regime. Since Ron has been in charge that couldnt be further from the truth. 

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Rookie contracts are essentially forced on to you. You don't really negotiate anything, you're slotted into your contract based on your draft position.

McLaurin has VASTLY outperformed his rookie deal. Hell as a 3rd round pick he's pretty much already outperformed his deal after his rookie year. He's entitled to renegotiate and get his worth.

The league makes billions, largely off the backs of guys like McLaurin who make pennies(relatively). We would all 100% do the exact same thing in his situation and you're full of S if you say otherwise.

The players at the time made the CBA, after scrubs were  getting more money than established players. 
I more than definitely would want more of the pie, never said the opposite. But the players do know what they are getting into. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Acworth skins fan said:

There is no difference.. its just the way of the NFL contracts are today.

If a rookie outperformed his draft status.. they want to get paid asap. But reality is that team still has most of the leverage. They can either chose to pay what player wants to show good will or drag it out.  QBs have extra leverage since its by far the most important position on the field. 

Now if a rookie underperforms his contract - he is still getting paid the guaranteed portion of the deal even if cut early.

The funny things is that players underperform many big FA contracts, yes you dont see teams ****ing about it on social media

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Acworth skins fan said:

Because of the language within the contracts, the union, etc.  On the other side of the coin, you have owners and GM's who regularly cut guys when they wish even though they are 'under contract'.  

Other than the word contract, I'm not sure what is really similar at all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Because of the language within the contracts, the union, etc.  On the other side of the coin, you have owners and GM's who regularly cut guys when they wish even though they are 'under contract'.  

Thats not correct. The contract in principal is still a contract. No difference if its NFL or construction. There are terms for each... In NFL players negotiate the guaranteed portion of the contract which is the portion they get no matter what. Which is why in the nfl its pointless to look at full value of the contract... instead focus on the guaranteed at signing/ per year/ etc.

Rookie contracts are fully guaranteed by the way. 

Edited by oraphus
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The guaranteed portion will be paid out, correct? Now I do have a problem with the non guaranteed portion of contacts. 

13 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Thats not correct. The contract in principal is still a contract. No difference if its NFL or construction. There are terms for each... In NFL players negotiate the guaranteed portion of the contract which is the portion they get no matter what. Which is why in the nfl its pointless to look at full value of the contract... instead focus on the guaranteed at signing/ per year/ etc.

Rookie contracts are fully guaranteed by the way. 

You're entirely missing my point - in that the language within said contracts is apples to oranges, which is why it's irrelevant to compare say - building a deck for a customer to a WR's contract to play for an NFL team.  

52 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But it won’t because they’ll just franchise him.  And then he’s at the mercy of a team willing to trade him.

Its not worth it in any way, under any circumstance, for him not to sign a LTD with somebody this year.  There is no math that can justify it.  None.  

Right. 

So if the team won't do it, it's up to him to force the trade.  If the only way to do that is sit out, he will do it.  If the team refuses to trade him he will play enough to get his year of service and force the FT.  Under no circumstances should he play this year with his current deal.

Risking injury for 2.7mill, when the lower option of franchise tag in 2023/2024 would get 20+24 mill would be silly.  Playing on the franchise tag would make some sense if he is stuck there.  I don't see a single good argument for him to bend this year.  Without a new deal, he is risking far more to play.

It’s a bit premature for us to pick sides when we have no details.  Is Terry asking for top WR money ($25 mil/year) or is the team low balling him for $17 mil/yea.  Truth is probably somewhere in between.  I believe Terry is under contract and should be present in camp.  He’s not going to sit out a year and not play so he is only hurting himself and his chemistry with Carson.   With WR salaries getting so stupidly high who knows what the Cap # will be next year.  So either way he signs long term and gets paid, walks after next year and gets paid, or gets tagged then signs or walks and gets paid.  I understand there aren’t many guarantees, but it’s seems maintaining good will with the team is in his best interest.

Unfortunately you can’t pay everyone.  The team is going to have to make some hard decisions.

• Thumb down 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Do we know if the escrow includes "likely to be guaranteed, guarantees"?  

If Terry got a AJ Brown like bonus, but it was split so part 2 was next year like Winston (pic below), would the split be added?  

image.png.dfa0281c4ef6b6879d6a06fb337cdd41.pngimage.png.dfa0281c4ef6b6879d6a06fb337cdd41.png

5 minutes ago, evmiii said:

It’s a bit premature for us to pick sides when we have no details.  Is Terry asking for top WR money ($25 mil/year) or is the team low balling him for $17 mil/yea.  Truth is probably somewhere in between.  I believe Terry is under contract and should be present in camp.  He’s not going to sit out a year and not play so he is only hurting himself and his chemistry with Carson.   With WR salaries getting so stupidly high who knows what the Cap # will be next year.  So either way he signs long term and gets paid, walks after next year and gets paid, or gets tagged then signs or walks and gets paid.  I understand there aren’t many guarantees, but it’s seems maintaining good will with the team is in his best interest.

Unfortunately you can’t pay everyone.  The team is going to have to make some hard decisions.

Not picking sides, but even if the team wanted to wait to sign him, we're far enough along, these initial items could have been moving long ago.  The no communication until June really makes this a challenge.

3 minutes ago, evmiii said:

It’s a bit premature for us to pick sides when we have no details. 

I don’t know if this was directed at me, but I would like to make clear that I am definitely not picking a side. Was just asking a question. 
Truth is since about 2015 I have

lost a lot of my interest in football. I go to nfl.com and watch the little football go up and down the field and read what happened on the play, as I got tired of watching the product our team has been putting out on the field, instead of paying for the Sunday ticket. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, evmiii said:

I believe Terry is under contract and should be present in camp.  He’s not going to sit out a year and not play so he is only hurting himself and his chemistry with Carson.   With WR salaries getting so stupidly high who knows what the Cap # will be next year.  So either way he signs long term and gets paid, walks after next year and gets paid, or gets tagged then signs or walks and gets paid.  I understand there aren’t many guarantees, but it’s seems maintaining good will with the team is in his best interest.

He has already earned top of the market pay from somebody, be it us or another team.

From a physical standpoint, the best thing Terry can do for Terry right now is jack all. Minimize injury risk, stay in shape, stay ready.

It does not matter how much financial leverage the team has over him for missed potential wages. It does not matter how much sway he has as the face of the rebrand and being a public favorite. As it stands it is unbelievably not worth his time to step on a field for 2 milly, and he should do everything in his power to avoid doing so. He has generational wealth in house money right now, just needs to figure out who is putting their name on his check.

He is not gonna realistically earn much more money by showing up and out, but he risks a lot in the form of potential injury.

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Have been banging this drum for a while.

Snyder fully funding a guaranteed deal -- 50 million or so -- the day the deal is signed could be a problem for him. If it all comes down to money to Dan, well daring Terry to play out his deal would make sense. To franchise him next year and the year after would be 50 million, and it doesn't need to be fully funded -- can be paid in installments. Of course, Terry would demand a trade or end up sitting out most likely -- as long as he could and still get a qualified year. VOR has been right about that IMO.

The really rich owners have such an advantage now. I live in LA -- Kroenke paid for that stadium with his own money. A couple billion easy, all said and done. And he's not even blinking at all the fully funded deals he's given out this year alone.

We'll see what happens. Barring Snyder really having cash at hand issues, I don't see how something doesn't get done.

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You're entirely missing my point - in that the language within said contracts is apples to oranges, which is why it's irrelevant to compare say - building a deck for a customer to a WR's contract to play for an NFL team.  

A contract is just an agreement to perform service for a set price.. Obviously a construction contract does not look the same as a nfl player contract... duh.. but its still a contact.

As a player - I am playing for your team for X years at $$$ per year with $ in guaranteed money + perf, escalators, etc. If i perform to your satisfaction or above, I expect i am on the team to receive the full value of my contract. But even if you cut me 5 days in to the first year, i still get the guaranteed portion $ just for showing up.

As a contractor - I am building you a deck for your house with specific dimensions, materials, etc to be completed in Y days for a set price of $$$. If my deck performance is to your satisfaction I will get the fully guaranteed portion of our agreed to compensation. If not, we can negotiate alt price.

• Like 1