Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

I will say this for the 100th time:  there is no way, zero possibility Terry plays on his current contract this year.  For this team or any other.  

None.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nada.  Not going to happen.  

I don’t listen to the Junky’s because they are know nothing idiots.  Sometimes entertaining but they know nothing.

But any thought that leads to Terry playing on his contract this year and then BEGGING the team to franchise him twice is stupid, ignorant, and wholly ridiculous.

Either Terry gets a new deal here or he demands a trade and forces his way out.  And somebody else gives him the deal.

I’ve gone over this before.  Absent a long term deal his next three years cash is ~45M. That’s this years’s 2.7 + 2 franchise tags.  

Any long term deal based on any comp from a WR who signed a deal this year pays him $70-75 cash over the same period. 

If Terry ends up playing on this deal he should fire his agent and then sue them for incompetence and damages.  It can’t happen.

We will know this month if Terry doesn’t think he’s getting a new deal because he will ask for a trade before training camp.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Hooper said:

Because of Dan's financial issues, they will franchise him, possibly two years in a row. It will cost less than 50 million for two years. And you don't have to put the money in an escrow account. 

It's a terrible idea, of course. Will anger Terry and be non-stop drama.

So bank on it happening.

It can’t happen and you should stop saying it can happen.  They can’t franchise him this year.  He still has a year left on his deal snd there is literally no way he plays on his current deal this year.  

None.

In order for them to franchise him he would have to play on his current deal which can’t happen.

Now, this is important to note: the TEAM has the financial leverage here.  Because if Terry plays hard bal, they can say, “ok play your current deal out and we’ll franchise you twice.”

Which is why I think a deal gets done.  Terry doesn’t want that.  The team has the leverage and both sides want the deal.

Also, you keep saying as a definitive fact Dan has money issues.  It’s never been reported.  It’s a fan and media speculation.  It’s never been confirmed or reported by anybody. It might be true.  It might not.  We have no idea.  (And this isn’t the thread for that debate.)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Also, you keep saying as a definitive fact Dan has money issues.  It’s never been reported.  It’s a fan and media speculation.  It’s never been confirmed or reported by anybody. It might be true.  It might not.  We have no idea.

I think that narrative comes from the media reports when he was negotiating to buy out the other minority owner's shares. It's a mistake to assume the financial waiver is equal to any Snyder cash poor confirmation. The waiver is part of business financial planning {smart business) and not a clear indication of financial hardship.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31127427/nfl-clears-way-daniel-snyder-buy-washington-football-team-owners

The finance committee approved Snyder's application for a $450 million debt waiver, an NFL spokesperson confirmed. The other owners will vote at the league's annual meeting next week on whether to approve the deal. Snyder needs 24 of the 32 owners to vote in favor of the transaction. The news was first reported by Tyler Dunne of GoLongTD.com.

SEA is still trying to work something out w/ Metcaff. He has been fined for missing mandatory camp and is in a similar situation as Terry where he is on the last year of his deal.

However his situation works out, deal or trade, it could have big implications on us. I can't image the pull inside of DK to stay in SEA being very strong given their situation.

6 hours ago, markmills67 said:

At Rivera's next press conference someone has to ask this question. 

Are we signing McClaurin to a LTD Yes or No. 

They probably want to let him get max leverage first, after Seattle signs Metcalf or someone similar gets signed, then tell us about his unreasonable demands.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

They probably want to let him get max leverage first, after Seattle signs Metcalf or someone similar gets signed, then tell us about his unreasonable demands.

Come on. 

They want to sign him.   

They’ve already been 4 or 5 comps already this off season.  If they were going to go they direction it would have happened.

That’s a Bruce move.   Ron hasn’t done anything like that.  So until it happens, I’m going to choose to believe it won’t.

• Like 1

Everyone is going to hate me for this.  Please know that I really like McLaurin.

But the question has been bothering me -- is the WR market unusually overpriced?  Moreover, where does McLaurin  stack up vs. the WRs like Hill, Kupp, Adams, etc.? He's a captain, a hard worker, a great locker presence, and a really good WR.  But is he a game-changing WR like Hill?  With 77 receptions and 5 TDs, when Washington only had a group of lower-tier WRs -- he strikes me more as  great possession receiver with really nice speed. 

However, when I look at the contract numbers being suggested and apply it to McLaurin 2021 seaon's total of receptions -- it works out to around 300K a reception. And some of those type of receptions were the kind of the many short/mid-range receptions Humphries routinely made for a 3rd down  conversions.  

This is not a negative about McLaurin -- it's more about whether the WR position should routinely command the same level of money as a franchise (or near a franchise) QB, can get.  Its getting a little crazy out there.

Sorry, but I  keep getting the feeling that there are a lot of  rookie and 1st year WRs who could potentially match up to what Christian Kirk, Hopkins, etc can provide.  It seems like Washington is being forced into a position where they have to buy REALLY high on a WR position where there are many near equivalent replacements. The WR market seems over-priced, and Washington is being forced to "buy higher than actual value."

To be clear -- I get that Washington needs to reward those who've helped build a better culture among the players -- but the WR market seems abnormally overpriced at this moment.  And overpaying WRs means future tough cuts, elsewhere.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Everyone is going to hate me for this.  Please know that I really like McLaurin.

But the question has been bothering me -- is the WR market unusually overpriced?  Moreover, where does McLaurin  stack up vs. the WRs like Hill, Kupp, Adams, etc.? He's a captain, a hard worker, a great locker presence, and a really good WR.  But is he a game-changing WR like Hill?  With 77 receptions and 5 TDs, when Washington only had a group of lower-tier WRs -- he strikes me more as  great possession receiver with really nice speed. 

However, when I look at the contract numbers being suggested and apply it to McLaurin 2021 seaon's total of receptions -- it works out to around 300K a reception. And some of those type of receptions were the kind of the many short/mid-range receptions Humphries routinely made for a 3rd down  conversions.  

This is not a negative about McLaurin -- it's more about whether the WR position should routinely command the same level of money as a franchise (or near a franchise) QB, can get.  Its getting a little crazy out there.

Sorry, but I  keep getting the feeling that there are a lot of  rookie and 1st year WRs who could potentially match up to what Christian Kirk, Hopkins, etc can provide.  It seems like Washington is being forced into a position where they have to buy REALLY high on a WR position where there are many near equivalent replacements. The WR market seems over-priced, and Washington is being forced to "buy higher than actual value."

To be clear -- I get that Washington needs to reward those who've helped build a better culture among the players -- but the WR market seems abnormally overpriced at this moment.  And overpaying WRs means future tough cuts, elsewhere.

The WR is way overpriced and will correct down the road. Why? There has been a shift where we have now had draft class after draft class loaded with WR talent since Terry’s class. For some reason, receivers have now become way more ready to contribute Day 1. Assuming we continue to see loaded class after loaded class, teams will opt to not pay for receivers and draft them instead. Heck, we saw it during the draft with Hollywood Brown and AJ Brown getting traded

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

is the market generally overpriced? i'd say so with the likes of christian kirk getting the deal he did. plus, there seems to be a sentiment that there is more and more depth of quality receivers coming out of every draft. however, i think terry is a game changer. maybe not at the level of a hill or davante adams but he'd be up there. every single game changer you listed had elite or upper tier quarterbacks and offensive coaches supporting them. so maybe it doesn't make sense, in that context, for the commanders because we don't seem to have either...but mclaurin is worth it. he can do everything and is more than a posession receiver with "really nice speed" and is more indicative of us not having a signal caller that can consistently stretch the defense and a lack of other reliable targets (besides logan thomas); so he's had to fulfill the role of a clutch chain mover. his only knock, for me, is that he's still a body catcher but it has not affected his ability to consistently make basic and contested catches, thus far.

Edited by xxprodigyxx

46 minutes ago, method man said:

The WR is way overpriced and will correct down the road. Why? There has been a shift where we have now had draft class after draft class loaded with WR talent since Terry’s class. For some reason, receivers have now become way more ready to contribute Day 1. Assuming we continue to see loaded class after loaded class, teams will opt to not pay for receivers and draft them instead. Heck, we saw it during the draft with Hollywood Brown and AJ Brown getting traded

perhaps the draft classes have more depth at wide receivers and it makes to move on from a receiver that is considered decent or "pretty good" and drafting the cheaper rookie. however, i still think it's a big gamble if you are trying to replace an elite receiver in this manner. in last year's draft class there was only one clearcut elite receiver; jamar chase. three others had good rookie campaigns and the rest had typical rookie production. so the question is, do you view terry as elite? i do, so i don't think he's someone that can be easily replaced with a rookie gamble.

edit: plus, i just don't trust our track record with drafting receivers to think we can catch lightning in a bottle again 😄

Edited by xxprodigyxx

One thing to consider when asking, "Is Terry that good?" is Terry has been really good when surrounded by iffy teammates. Defenses know that he's the only receiver they have to key on. Terry hasn't had a QB able to maximize his abilities. With a better cast and a better QB (We may have that now if Dotson lives up to the hype and Samuels is healthy), does Terry move up one rank? Two ranks? Does he go from a receiver everyone talks about to one of the very top end of receivers?

There's a little bit of a gamble in projecting what Terry will look like with Wentz vs. Smith and Heinike, but the fact that he has become a nationally recognized great receiver despite everything else should not be ignored. More, rewarding your best is how you build culture. It's how you build your team.

The only reason not to get this contract done is because Terry wants out or Snyder can't afford it. Barring that, trying to rationalize the Front Office's failure in getting this done as part of player analysis and team construction is in my opinion wrong. Moreover, in the NFL, prices go up not down. Just a few years ago, this team was going crazy about the idea of giving Kirk Cousins a twenty million dollar a year contract. That was a top five contract. Today, it's a damn cheap contract for a starting QB. Unless the league flips and becomes a running league again, the prices of wide receivers aren't going down.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Sorry, I'm not sure can anoint McLaurin as elite. 

I see "Elite -POTENTIAL" ....perhaps --but we need see how Terry blossoms with a good QB and other dangerous WRs and TEs to pull coverage off of McLaurin.  Point is,  -- ee haven't seen that yet.

3 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I see "Elite -POTENTIAL" ....perhaps --but we need see how Terry blossoms with a good QB and other dangerous WRs and TEs to pull coverage off of McLaurin.  Point is,  -- ee haven't seen that yet.

that's fine and understandable. differences in opinion. i just see someone who consistently beats press coverage and is still productive with double coverage and being the focal point of the opponents' defense game plan against an anemic offense. so, i guess i am calling him elite based on unrealized production that i fault the rest of the team for.

25 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I feel like he's elite, but just hasn't had the qb to help people see that he is 

5 hours ago, Wyvern said:

If that's the position Washington is taking, that Terry needs to prove something before getting a big time extension, then they have lost him. Frankly, yours was the position I took with Kirk Cousins after his breakout year. Cousins looked really good for about half a season. Before that, in spot duty, he was sometimes good and sometimes a turnover machine. I thought the team was right to say, "prove it to us that you can be the man." Of course, the year after that first franchise tag when Cousins was great, they again low balled him.

Terry doesn't need to "prove" it. He is a proven top receiver. He didn't have a breakout year where he was a one-time wonder. He's been consistently there for us. And he's done it without much help. Frankly, it's a lot easier to be a top receiver when you have Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Maholmes tossing you the ball. Smith was limited before the injury and then one-legged and dead-armed after it. Heinike's moxie made the offense productive, but his arm made him inaccurate and made easy catches into contested ones.

Regardless, if you wait 'til you see elite, the player will be out the door. Terry's shown enough for the team to make him the face of the franchise and for TV coverage to have him be the player that announcers talk up week in and week out. He's the player on our team that people recognize. He's the one consistent threat that defenses key on and he still comes through. He doesn't need to prove it to the team. The team needs to prove it to him or they will lose him. 

And let's be honest. If Terry decides he's pissed off at the team and sits out. Yeah, maybe he loses a boatload of money that he won't recover, but when he gets that next contract with that next team he will be made for life. His kids will be, too. Let's say he loses 20 million by not signing and only makes 80 million in his career instead of 100. Do you think that makes that big a difference in his lifestyle or retirement?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

These are all great points -- and I acknowledge that McLaurin is someone Washington would want to extend, even though the condition of the team made it difficult to assess just how elite of a contract he should receive in order to retain his services.

However the concern I had was that in today's overheated WR market -- there currently isn't much wiggle-room.  And, if  McLaurin is awarded a really huge contract, what does this mean for the other really good members of the team whose contracts are close to coming up for renewals? 

Hopefully the cap gets substantially loosened up, going forward.

I don't know if the WR market is overpriced. The game is different now and you need quality receivers. That and the salary cap in general is blowing up. The NFL is only gonna make even more money as gambling expands and the new TV deals kick in. And then you factor in general economic inflation and...yeah there you have it. 

If you think guys are getting paid now just wait over the next couple of years and see the kinda deals Justin Jefferson, CD Lamb, and Jamar Chase among others get.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He still has a year left on his deal snd there is literally no way he plays on his current deal this year.  

I don't know about "no way" he plays on his current deal this year.  Seems like there's at least a chance that he and the team don't reach an agreement, they still don't want to trade him, he holds out, and then plays the minimum number of games this season to get credit for the year. Sure, there's financial risk involved for him.  But, if he's dead-set on a specific contract size or leaving WAS -- and willing to bet on himself -- that's at least a plausible maneuver. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

If that's the position Washington is taking, that Terry needs to prove something before getting a big time extension, then they have lost him. Frankly, yours was the position I took with Kirk Cousins after his breakout year. Cousins looked really good for about half a season. Before that, in spot duty, he was sometimes good and sometimes a turnover machine. I thought the team was right to say, "prove it to us that you can be the man." Of course, the year after that first franchise tag when Cousins was great, they again low balled him.

Terry doesn't need to "prove" it. He is a proven top receiver. He didn't have a breakout year where he was a one-time wonder. He's been consistently there for us. And he's done it without much help. Frankly, it's a lot easier to be a top receiver when you have Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Maholmes tossing you the ball. Smith was limited before the injury and then one-legged and dead-armed after it. Heinike's moxie made the offense productive, but his arm made him inaccurate and made easy catches into contested ones.

Regardless, if you wait 'til you see elite, the player will be out the door. Terry's shown enough for the team to make him the face of the franchise and for TV coverage to have him be the player that announcers talk up week in and week out. He's the player on our team that people recognize. He's the one consistent threat that defenses key on and he still comes through. He doesn't need to prove it to the team. The team needs to prove it to him or they will lose him. 

And let's be honest. If Terry decides he's pissed off at the team and sits out. Yeah, maybe he loses a boatload of money that he won't recover, but when he gets that next contract with that next team he will be made for life. His kids will be, too. Let's say he loses 20 million by not signing and only makes 80 million in his career instead of 100. Do you think that makes that big a difference in his lifestyle or retirement?

Or Washington decides to go the cheaper route and ride with Dotson. Let Terry leave. Trade Terry to Green Bay.

20 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Or Washington decides to go the cheaper route and ride with Dotson. Let Terry leave. Trade Terry to Green Bay.

I'd much rather keep both and build a dominant passing game with two ace receivers.

But this team is allergic to building talent.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Could, but I think it'd be disastrous for team morale and I suspect team morale is already on shaky grounds due to the never ending side issues that plague the team.

17 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Terry feels like a guy that’s worth “overpaying” just to (re) establish your reputation as a franchise that takes care of it’s talent..

He's exactly the kind of guy you want. Produces. Hard worker. Good citizen. Leader by example who shows the pups how to be successful yet is almost still a pup himself. On top of all that, he is arguably one of the best at his position.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1