Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Montez Sweat Mississippi St.

PCS

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

@TheShredder I hear you, but if it were a case of a large person has a large heart certain most NFL prospects would carry the same red flag, but they don’t.  We’ll just have to wait and see.

Medically speaking that's not the same thing as was being reported though.  They reported 'degenerative heart', which is 100% BS.  They've not yet isolated that gene to make that distinction so it's likely a draft leak.  The only reality is that prospects had to submit to a chest xray and with that alone they'd have some radiologist who measured his heat from an xray.  Xrays are not diagnostic capable of making that diagnosis.  Trust me, I know. 

• Like 2

https://amp.democratandchronicle.com/amp/3533053002

He compares his game to Jason Taylor

In his two years at Mississippi State, Sweat proved he could function in both a 3-4 and 4-3 defense, diversity that NFL teams love to have in defensive linemen.

He recorded 22 sacks and 29.5 tackles for loss playing against top-end competition in the SEC, and when he was asked who he thinks his game resembles, he said, “I watch a lot of pass rushers. I think old-time pass rushers ... like Jason Taylor has a lot of my skill set. He’s long, he’s fast. I watch him a lot.”

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Days later and I still can't get over that we ended up with Montez!

They said they wanted to add speedy play makers and they nailed it with Sweat.

It's going to be fun watching him with the rest of out incredible DL.

Like you, I'm just now processing what our defense could look like with Ion healthy, Reub Foster, Sweat and obtw......Landon Colins. The additions on paper are sick. And I'm loving the ballhawk from JMU. Just think if Josh Norman gets focused and reverts back to his salad days? 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Jason Taylor is a good comp. Athletic, a little lean, but should be big and quick enough to play both in the 4-3 and 3-4.

On our D surrounded by Kerrigan and the studs up front pushing pockets up, he could get 10+ sacks as a rook.

Taylor is too lofty a comp IMO, and defense has changes since Taylor was in his prime because of how shotgun has been so heavily implemented.

I still like Danielle Hunter as his closest NFL ceiling comparison.  Hunter makes plays due to his incredible length, tenacity, his explosive athleticism, and his ability to reach the QB in like three or four strides.  Sweat is a remarkably similar athlete, with the same kind of 99th percentile physical gifts that give him the potential to make special plays like Hunter.  He's probably the best athlete on our team now, but to get to that All Pro level as a playmaker like Hunter, he's going to have to continue to get stronger, get more comfortable playing lower, and improve his pre-snap approach.  He needs that explosive strength to playmake through contact with tackles and tight ends to truly unlock the potential that his length gives him.  It's going to take a few seasons for him to get there.

But I also think he's significantly further along than Hunter was as a rookie.  He looks stronger than Hunter was, and Hunter was a one move rusher who played upright too.  He was certainly way more productive as a pass rusher in college than Hunter was too, but Hunter was probably more instinctive and better at playing the run.  I agree that 10 sacks isn't out of the question for him, but I don't think it's likely.

• Like 1

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26432393/how-montez-sweat-team-molded-freak-elite-prospect

"We sent him in to get his body fat taken, and he was 5.9 percent body fat. At that point, I knew we had a freak. I have not seen a 260-pound, 5.9 percent-body-fat guy gain that much weight in 13 days and look the way he did. He's a very genetically gifted human being with the work ethic behind that."

"We worked on something called the 'long-arm ghost.' It's a move that Von Miller kind of invented. You use the long arm, then go to the ghost. First you long-arm the guy, then you fake like you're going to long arm him and bend underneath. We added that so he's coming into the league with an arsenal. He's going to be one not to mess with in his rookie year."

The long-arm move is natural for Sweat thanks to his 35-plus-inch arms.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/3/15/18263489/montez-sweat-nfl-draft-2019-washington-mississippi-state-scouting-report-defensive-end

The funny thing, to me at least, is Sweat is what my rush defensive end Create-A-Player would look almost exactly like, both in stature and in the way he plays the game.

22 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Like you, I'm just now processing what our defense could look like with Ion healthy, Reub Foster, Sweat and obtw......Landon Colins. The additions on paper are sick. And I'm loving the ballhawk from JMU. Just think if Josh Norman gets focused and reverts back to his salad days? 

The thing I'm thinking about our defense is...who's gonna get double teamed?  Cause if you double team one of Ion, Payne, Allen...you're gonna have Sweat or Kerrigan coming over the top or maybe Reuben Foster up the middle if it's an LB blitz.  Double teaming any one player on this team is going to just open up other opportunities for someone else.  

Hopefully they can all be healthy this year, our defense should be legit.

• Like 1

Out front 7 is much improved and we got some real good depth. I live in Eagles country and even one of my buddies who is an Eagles fan did not like us getting Sweat. He even commented that our front seven is pretty darn good and he wasn’t even factoring in Rueben. 

There is no comparison between him and Preston. I liked Preston but he was too inconsistent and awful when he had to drop off in coverage. You can’t teach speed and length and that’s what Sweat has. Once the coaches work with him I see someone who could be better than Kerrigan. Plus I love his enthusiasm for being on the team. Every social media has him saying HTTR which I love hearing. By comparison Haskins seems pretty low key but maybe because he’s still pissed that Jones got drafted before him. He did seem to come around over the weekend. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

#topfivedefense

#dontsetyourbarlow

Manusky would have to call the right kind of plays for it to happen wouldn't he?..I mean even for a top ten defense..

I've got faith manusky can do it..use all the new toys properly..

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

Manusky would have to call the right kind of plays for it to happen wouldn't he?..I mean even for a top ten defense..

That's my only concern. I think he may just be an average DC.

What I hope happens, is this defense plays its full potential, and ends up Top 5, then Manusky gets a bunch of credit, and it somehow lands him

a HC gig.

I think we could easily find a better DC...perhaps one that is currently on our staff.

• Like 1

Manusky has not been great as the d coordinator but I believe he will improve. Much easier when you have talent and he has much more than when he first came here. Also keep in mind that we hired Rob Ryan as a lb coach. While I think he was overrated as a def coordinator he still brings experience to the table. 

I do take back slightly on our depth on the d line. Forgot we cut McGhee. So Caleb Brantley better be good. Oh any chance Marcus Smith, former first rounder with Eagles, actually can play?  But Brantley and Tim Settle must be viable rotational guys with Allen, Payne, and Ionnadis. Someone mentioned moving Anderson inside and I like that idea. Him and Mason would allow us to be better run stoppers than with Shaun Dion who I like but I see him more as a backup. Add Landon in the box and the big guys up front and our run def should be much better. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Manusky has not been great as the d coordinator but I believe he will improve. Much easier when you have talent and he has much more than when he first came here. Also keep in mind that we hired Rob Ryan as a lb coach. While I think he was overrated as a def coordinator he still brings experience to the table. 

I do take back slightly on our depth on the d line. Forgot we cut McGhee. So Caleb Brantley better be good. Oh any chance Marcus Smith, former first rounder with Eagles, actually can play?  But Brantley and Tim Settle must be viable rotational guys with Allen, Payne, and Ionnadis. Someone mentioned moving Anderson inside and I like that idea. Him and Mason would allow us to be better run stoppers than with Shaun Dion who I like but I see him more as a backup. Add Landon in the box and the big guys up front and our run def should be much better. 

Hopefully Marcus Smith and Caleb Brantley can turn their career's around here, and become solid rotational pieces of the defense.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/3/21/18273955/did-marcus-smith-simply-fly-under-everyones-radar

Edited by 98ORAKPO98

41 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Giants fan(s) asking if Redskins have best defense in NFL

https://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=582792

I think we do, especially if some of the young guys keep progressing.

https://www.redskins.com/news/after-learning-the-nfl-ropes-tim-settle-is-taking-advantage-of-the-offseason

"I’m so comfortable now because I could do it by myself, I don’t need anybody to tell me," Settle said of working out this offseason. "I come in here every day. I just don’t want to slow down. I just want to keep going faster, and faster, and faster, and faster until somebody tells me to chill. And I still probably won’t chill. I just want to be the person who takes over the game."