Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

Moving on...

As previously stated, Butler would be a great snag.  Big body, with underrated speed. 

I also like the idea of P. Campbell due to his familiarity with Haskins and the speed factor.  Although he mostly lined up from the slot, if I am not mistaken?  Bryce Love is someone I want to target as well.  Let's add some more team speed across multiple positions.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'd like to introduce you to Matt, Da'Ron and John.

Who? 🤯

3 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

Moving on...

As previously stated, Butler would be a great snag.  Big body, with underrated speed. 

I also like the idea of P. Campbell due to his familiarity with Haskins and the speed factor.  Although he mostly lined up from the slot, if I am not mistaken?  Bryce Love is someone I want to target as well.  Let's add some more team speed across multiple positions.

Who?

Ioannidis, Payne and Allen. Pushing the pocket is our strength. Speed around the edge is the compliment those guys needed. 

1 hour ago, Tedskins 21 said:

Sweat will have a Preston Smith type impact.  Is that worth 2 high picks?  You could of had Burns at 15.  Then trade up for Haskins if you really want him. He was due to slide BIG time.

I wouldn't be as disappointed in Sweat if we ran a 43 front.  But he and Kerrigan taking turns out in space? *Cringe*

SweatUK1.gif

In base 3-4, the goal is to send 5 if Foster and Collins can clean up the underneath stuff. 

In 4-2, you are getting your wish. 

Sweat wasn’t drafted to cover a slot down the seam. 

1 minute ago, Skins Skeptic said:

Ioannidis, Payne and Allen. Pushing the pocket is our strength. Speed around the edge is the compliment those guys needed. 

Right. I have been saying we lack explosion from the edge for years. I just think we could have done a better job addressing it with Brian, and still got Haskins.

11 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

I understand we go to Nickel well over half the time. 

This isn't "baseless."  I watched Miss St games.  I am not saying he's a bad player, far from that. But he did benefit from Jeffery Simmons on the inside. He lacks that bend/flexibility/fluidity to take it to the next level.  He can get 10 sacks for us, but that will be from the benefit of what we have already in our front 7.  I just think we could have gotten a better impact player in Brian Burns.  

I agree with you that he lacks bend and doesn't play as quick as his 4.4 time. He's a much better prospect than Preston Smith ever was, however. I agree that he's not a 15-18 sack guy. He's a 10-13 sack guy. If you think Sweat can collect 10 sacks, than he's a mile better than Preston Smith, who collected 4 last year. My mom could have sacked the QB 4 times, if she played across from Kerrigan and next to Allen and Payne and Ioannidis. 

1 minute ago, Master Blaster said:

In base 3-4, the goal is to send 5 if Foster and Collins can clean up the underneath stuff. 

In 4-2, you are getting your wish. 

Sweat wasn’t drafted to cover a slot down the seam. 

Yes, but he will be backpedaling at some point.  I have seen Kerrigan do it.  I have seen Preston do it.  I have seen Orakpo do it.  They all look lost.  It's not often, but it happens.  

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

He NEVER was the guy he was being touted as for that short period of time. He was never that. People blew him up. That doesn't mean that he's still not a quality prospect. He's just not that, and never was, in my opinion.

Yeah but unless am misreading you -- you seem to be taking the point that the critics thought he is good just not great.  The ones I mentioned think he will likely be a bust.  It's not that they think its a really nice restaurant and a good meal but people are getting carried away that its a Michelin 4 star restaurant.  They think the meal is bad and don't buy into the hype.  If Haskins ends up "just" good than IMO it was a killer pick.  it's hard to find even a good QB let alone one in the middle of the first round. 

Again they can certainly be wrong.  Cooley's opinion as an example didn't color my take but it among others did made me take another more closer look at him.  And I am much nicer than him on Haskins.  I picked Haskins as my #3 top QB.   I do agree with Cooley though that he has high bust potential. 

But again I'll rally around Haskins this way.  And I said on the draft thread this week I'll rally around whomever they take eventually including even the dude I was beating up for months Daniel Jones 😀 -- for two reasons.  1.  He's our guy now.  2.  It's not easy to be a young QB so I try to have their backs because things tend to go sideways for them early on.

I just wished I believed what some here do which is that Jay secretly really wanted Haskins.  I don't buy that.  Too much smoke to me in the other direction.  Even Garafalo doubled down on that point today on NFL Network.   But I'll keep my mind open for information that contradicts that thought.   But I do buy that Jay will rally around him now and enjoy the challenge.  I like Jay here more than most.  So I got some faith in his ability to fix a young QBs flaws.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Yup. One of the more coachable things. And even with a possible walking dead man in Gruden, I suspect that will be worked on and improved.

Slow feet can be coached up?  If I recall Arians (granted he's just one opinion) thinks that's a hard one.  If a QB with slow feet can be transformed to quick feet count me in because that is my main concern.    Footwork in general I know can be improved but didn't think it was easy to fix someone who was slow on that count. 

Part of my early love for Haskins was watching the NFL shows defend the criticism of his feet and movement in the pocket by showing plays where he displayed it.   But then watching full games, I didn't see things the same way.  The thing that is weird or maybe intriguing depending on the perspective of Haskins (and said so on the draft thread well before we took him) is that you see exceptions to everything with him.  

For example, I think it's overplayed that he struggles with his accuracy on the deep ball.  He's not super accurate on that front but he has some moments from what I saw.  I didn't find him really accurate though with intermediate out routes -- the tough bucket type of throws that some scouts showcase a QB's accuracy more than anything.   But then once in awhile he'd throw a beauty.     Likewise you can find some really nifty footwork once in awhile in the mix of his movement in the pocket.  So he's a dude where I can use highlights to death to showcase anything. 

Like I said on the draft thread the nicest spin I could give Haskins is if I judged him by Shanny's supposed criteria on draft prospects which is just take their top plays and assume you can make those happen a lot -- then from that context i like Haskins.  Otherwise watching him, my thoughts veered to man I'd just bring pressure on the dude and try to focus on stopping those short in route screen passes -- mostly mesh concept driven which he relies so much on.

But anyway enough on my end.  I am going to stay positive.  Will see.  Like i said it would be arrogant for an amateur like me to contend that i have the formula unlocked (which no one has unlocked, yet) as to judging college QBs.  So it's all in fun.  I'll give Dan this.  Haskins IMO is easily the 2nd sexiest-most hyped players in the draft.  Redskins tend to get very little love-attention unless they are in the mix of a rumor, etc.  But today a lot of talk about them.  It's a franchise that definitely needed a lifeline.  A young QB gives you a lifeline.   That goes double if its a hyped college QB.    I might even buy my kid a jersey. 😀 

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I agree with you that he lacks bend and doesn't play as quick as his 4.4 time. He's a much better prospect than Preston Smith ever was, however. I agree that he's not a 15-18 sack guy. He's a 10-13 sack guy. If you think Sweat can collect 10 sacks, than he's a mile better than Preston Smith, who collected 4 last year. My mom could have sacked the QB 4 times, if she played across from Kerrigan and next to Allen and Payne and Ioannidis. 

Right.  It's a solid pick.  I was just hoping to get a true impact potential All-pro.  

I wanted Derwin last year.  We passed and got a B+ player.  I am happy with Payne and Sweat as building blocks for a very good defense.  We still lack that true "OMG what are we going to do about him?" player.

2 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

Yes, but he will be backpedaling at some point.  I have seen Kerrigan do it.  I have seen Preston do it.  I have seen Orakpo do it.  They all look lost.  It's not often, but it happens.  

Yes and Chris Thompson isn’t good at being a power back on 4th and 1. 

Play your players to their strengths. 

4 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Yes and Chris Thompson isn’t good at being a power back on 4th and 1. 

Play your players to their strengths. 

Right.  If he's asked to pin his ears back 100% of the time like Chris Clemons circa Gregggg Skins D, then great! I still think Brian will be the better Pro, however.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He grew up a Giants fan.  If I recall he was working out with Giants gear as recently as this week.  Hopefully, he's bent on revenge for being passed over by his favorite team. 

They might have hit BPA but it was the two positions pre-draft that got the most noise that they wanted to address.  Same thing last year lots of talk they wanted a d lineman d linemen d lineman and then a running back.  That's what they did.

The other position that they've screamed about wanting is receiver so I expect receiver to be cooking today.  Maybe its BPA but no doubt it matches what they've been saying are their need and want positions. 

I so hope we go best available OL with our 1st 3rd then best available WR with our 2nd 3rd rounder.

I haven't read over the entire discussion so forgive me if this has already been brought up.  I'm pretty satisfied with the D.  Slotting Sweat opposite Kerrigan with our front three, Foster twins in the middle (or one of them and Hamilton.  Back four of Norman-Collins-Everett?-Moreau?  That's a defense you can go to war with.

My God though, do we need receiving help.  I'm not sure what's worse between that or our hole at LG, but I would not be unhappy if both 3rd rounders tonight went to whatever receivers are left.

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I so hope we go best available OL with our 1st 3rd then best available WR with our 2nd 3rd rounder.

I am ok with that but TE is very tempting.  I am confused about what thread to post about my favorite prospects but right now working on selling some TEs on the draft thread. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am ok with that but TE is very tempting.  I am confused about what thread to post about my favorite prospects but right now working on selling some TEs on the draft thread. 

If we can nab Wesco from WVU with our 1st 5th round selection he'd be a steal too.  If you haven't watched film on him try doing so and let me know your thoughts, SIP. :)

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah but unless am misreading you -- you seem to be taking the point that the critics thought he is good just not great. 

My point is more along the lines of: "I don't care what the critics think." They hyped him to the moon and it was wrong, imo. Some of them are totally panning him, and that's wrong, too, imo. He lacks sample size. That's probably the biggest knock I have on him, actually... now that I think about it more. Consistency is important, so I agree he has high bust potential. But his skillset and processing ability gives him a high success potential as well. He may truly be as close to 50/50 as we could find. But if he pans out...

I just wished I believed what some here do which is that Jay secretly really wanted Haskins.  I don't buy that.  Too much smoke to me in the other direction.  Even Garafalo doubled down on that point today on NFL Network.   But I'll keep my mind open for information that contradicts that thought.   But I do buy that Jay will rally around him now and enjoy the challenge.  I like Jay here more than most.  So I got some faith in his ability to fix a young QBs flaws.

I'm not sure Jay wanted Haskins. But anything these guys say about prospects heading into the draft is measured. I wouldn't be surprised if he exaggerated his views on Haskins for that reason. I'm willing to bet that Jay was okay with Haskins all along, but liked the other guys more because for his job, he thought they were more pro ready than Haskins. That's why I wouldn't trust Jay's evaluation of the QBs... He may not be here.

Slow feet can be coached up?  If I recall Arians (granted he's just one opinion) thinks that's a hard one.  If a QB with slow feet can be transformed to quick feet count me in because that is my main concern.    Footwork in general I know can be improved but didn't think it was easy to fix someone who was slow on that count.

Absolutely it can. It's in the details of the step and agility and strength work. Depends on the issue, too. But yes, it can be fixed.

Likewise you can find some really nifty footwork once in awhile in the mix of his movement in the pocket.  So he's a dude where I can use highlights to death to showcase anything.

This is a big reason why his foot work is fixable.

Like I said on the draft thread the nicest spin I could give Haskins is if I judged him by Shanny's supposed criteria on draft prospects which is just take their top plays and assume you can make those happen a lot -- then from that context i like Haskins.  Otherwise watching him, my thoughts veered to man I'd just bring pressure on the dude and try to focus on stopping those short in route screen passes -- mostly mesh concept driven which he relies so much on.

Then I counter you taking the mesh with me throwing to Thompson 30 times a game if he's healthy and watching Haskins put up 500 yards passing with a total of 40 yards of air travel :ols:

12 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Harry's YAC ability will be fun to watch with Brady. As usual the rich get richer. Surprised they didn't get a haul from someone for Lock and that 5th year option. 

Kinda feels like a Gronk replacement in a manner of speaking, just a lot more athletic and doesn't play TE. 

20 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Part of me is thinking "best available offensive player"  (Other than QB.)  

Granted, I know less about talent selection than our FO.  But I'm thinking that there will be OL, TE, and maybe WR in the third that can help our supposedly immobile rookie QB out.  

I'd be okay but not thrilled with these picks if the OL was even mediocre instead of the limping basket case we all know it has been the last couple of seasons and I predict will be again by midseason.  Atlanta drafted an OT and G with their two first round picks, that is what the Skins should've done last night instead of a QB and an edge rusher.  They need a new QB and an edge rusher also but first and foremost they need a healthy, productive OL which is the most important unit on any football team.  

Enjoy this while you can now because mark my words you'll be caterwauling about the Skin's misfortune when the line breaks down for the third year in a row.  Atlanta will prosper this year behind their rebuilt line while the Skins suck hit tit with a broken down line again.

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Then I counter you taking the mesh with me throwing to Thompson 30 times a game if he's healthy and watching Haskins put up 500 yards passing with a total of 40 yards of air travel :ols:

IMO Haskins strength is getting rid of the ball quickly with short passes -- screens, hitches, shallow slants, etc.    Yeah if Thompson can stay healthy, he'd be useful.  I think they desperately need to add a receiver on that front.    My favorite purely on that point would be his old teammate Parris Campbell.  Campbell has his limitations and isn't a well rounded receiver IMO.  But the dude thrives with the underneath stuff and is a YAC maestro let alone that's the dude that Haskins has chemistry with.   It makes me wonder if they'd trade up for him because I doubt he's there in the third.  

Archived