Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

Bit of a random note, but anyone else have a little cheer to themselves when Josh Jacobs got taken Round 1?

Dude was homeless through high school. Lived with his dad and 4 siblings, sleeping in motels (all of them sharing one room). Spent a couple of weeks living out of his Dad's car before his dad got custody of the other kids. Spent several months sleeping on the floor of his college dorm because he was so used to roughing it that he felt more comfortable there than in a bed. His son was born hours after he committed to the Crimson Tide.

I know there's one every year, but these adversity stories always hit me, and I root for the guy really hard. Been that way ever since I saw the movie "The Blindside" (Michael Ohr). Shaq Griffin was the one last year, and I was stoked he got drafted to play with his brother.

If you're not familiar with the Josh Jacobs story, there a nice write up of it here https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2806367-alabama-running-back-josh-jacobs-is-living-the-impossible-dream

Think he's a stud RB too from what I've seen, good hands in the passing game too, and the kid has the whole package in terms of attitude. Doesn't even run angry, he's fully pissed off every time he takes a snap. Says he runs for his dad and his son.

Bit of a tangent but hell, we're all killing time til the clock starts back up.

1 hour ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

@Califan007Yes, I do realize that.... our #2 this year is (was) 2 picks higher than Miami's.... as I said, I am most curious to see what the 'Phins end up giving to get Rosen... then a reasonable comparison can be made as to whether it would have been a good move for us to top that offer and get Rosen, or stay as we did and get Haskins but lose next year's #2

My thought from your post was that if Miami is offering a 2nd this year and a third next year, we'd most likely would have to offer a 2nd next year to guarantee it was better than Miami's 3rd...so we couldn't really make the same deal. We would only be 2 spots higher this year, but next year we could be 10 spots higher or 10 spots lower lol...we'd have to truly sweeten the pot.

2 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

If Miami gives up anything less than this year's 2nd and a future #3 to get Rosen, must admit I'm going to be pissed...

Had we made the same deal, we could have had Rosen / Sweat or Burns (at #15) / and still had our #2 tonight (46 overall) and #2 next year  / NO #3 next year

compare that to   Haskins / Sweat / NO #2 tonight and NO #2 next year

Not unhappy about ending up with DH and Sweat, but I still think we should've been more in on Rosen....

This doesn't make sense dude - If we'd traded our #2 for Josh Rosen, how could we possibly still have our #2 tonight?

Word is Miami have given up their second rounder tonight, nothing else. (according to JLC on Twitter anyway) https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/1121870780495728646

Essentially, we've paid next years second round to have Haskins instead of Rosen. There's something wrong with Rosen - I don't know what but he has drawn practically zero interest from anyone and sucked last year. There's mitigating factors like being on a team that was a dumpster fire, but I think there's a reason he has been dumped a year after being a top 10 pick, drawn no interest, and those few teams that have been interested have decided to draft instead.

I dunno, I know there's knocks on Haskins, but something has me real suspicious about Rosen.

I'm not upset that we took Haskins. Be interesting to see how their careers play out though as to whether it was the right call or not

7 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Anyone have a reasonably educated guess as to what compensatory picks in the 2020 draft we may get ?   (based on Crowder, P Smith, offset by L Collins, etc.)

Starting to seriously wonder if it would be worth it to trade back up into the 2nd tonight but obviously we've already spent next year's #2.... not at all interested in ANY move that involves next year's #1...  

Collins guarantees that we lose 1 comp pick.

Crowder likely would have given us a 4th, since 3rd is the highest comp pick you can get and his contract is likely not high enough to yield a 3rd.   I'd wonder if it even was enough for a 4th but i'm being generous.  So Collins likely wipes that out.  Haha's contract isn't big enough to hook us up, so we likely are only going to get 1 single for Preston Smith.  I'd venture to guess it's a 4th. 

18 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Bit of a random note, but anyone else have a little cheer to themselves when Josh Jacobs got taken Round 1?

Dude was homeless through high school. Lived with his dad and 4 siblings, sleeping in motels (all of them sharing one room). Spent a couple of weeks living out of his Dad's car before his dad got custody of the other kids. Spent several months sleeping on the floor of his college dorm because he was so used to roughing it that he felt more comfortable there than in a bed. His son was born hours after he committed to the Crimson Tide.

I know there's one every year, but these adversity stories always hit me, and I root for the guy really hard. Been that way ever since I saw the movie "The Blindside" (Michael Ohr). Shaq Griffin was the one last year, and I was stoked he got drafted to play with his brother.

If you're not familiar with the Josh Jacobs story, there a nice write up of it here https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2806367-alabama-running-back-josh-jacobs-is-living-the-impossible-dream

Think he's a stud RB too from what I've seen, good hands in the passing game too, and the kid has the whole package in terms of attitude. Doesn't even run angry, he's fully pissed off every time he takes a snap. Says he runs for his dad and his son.

Bit of a tangent but hell, we're all killing time til the clock starts back up.

Thank you for that! His father is an incredible human being, definition of a father and a man in my eyes. He would go hungry to ensure his kids wouldn't, that's love in its finest form. The fact that he stayed true to the course, continued being a good person so his children had a role model to look up to is something every parent should be doing. 

I hope he tears up the league and breaks records. 

45 minutes ago, boston skins fan said:

If they could pull cody ford out of theyre asses id call this draft a grand slam  no matter what happens in the next rounds

I would love to grab Cody to put next to Trent. Oklahoma connect with AP too.  Get a real nasty run game going.  Ball control offense with a D that can stop the run.

15 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Thank you for that! His father is an incredible human being, definition of a father and a man in my eyes. He would go hungry to ensure his kids wouldn't, that's love in its finest form. The fact that he stayed true to the course, continued being a good person so his children had a role model to look up to is something every parent should be doing. 

I hope he tears up the league and breaks records. 

It always strikes me how hard some of these guys have to fight to make it to the top. Derrius Guice is another of these stories.

25 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Collins guarantees that we lose 1 comp pick.

Crowder likely would have given us a 4th, since 3rd is the highest comp pick you can get and his contract is likely not high enough to yield a 3rd.   I'd wonder if it even was enough for a 4th but i'm being generous.  So Collins likely wipes that out.  Haha's contract isn't big enough to hook us up, so we likely are only going to get 1 single for Preston Smith.  I'd venture to guess it's a 4th. 

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

This agrees, but a bit more player info and has Crowder earning the 4th.  

1 hour ago, redrobert said:

Any guess as to what time the Skins will make their picks in the 3rd Round? Assuming we don’t move of course?

Assuming they don't trade up or down, the Redskins have picks number 76 and 96 tonight.

That means there are 43 picks ahead of us. 

So I would guess our first pick to be between 9:30pm and 10:00pm

42 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm just now tuning in for the first time today.

Did we make any trades since the 1st round ended ?

And who is televising tonite's portion ?

No trades today (so far).

ABC, ESPN, and the NFL Network are carrying it.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Is there an app to alert Skins fans if they trade up back into the 2nd ?

We basically have a 4th, and actually better, essentially with our 2nd pick in the 3rd.

True. But we need all of the help we can get :)

Archived