Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

10 hours ago, HoggLife said:

I disagree 100%. Haskins,Love and both OL selected show exactly this is to better the team in 2-3 years while we also compete each well.  The team we have now with Case starting can surprise some and win our division and possibly a playoff game.  But that's just my opinion.  Guess we will have to wait and see.  I think the Skins had the perfect balance of waiting patiently for Haskins to drop to us,  trade up for Sweat and training back to get extra picks. 

Really don't know what you are disagreeing with.  You even say in your post "guess we will have to wait and see."  That is exactly what my post said.  All looks good on paper but with pretty much any draft, it is a wait and see if those players that were good in college translate to the same thing in the Pros.  Sometimes they do, sometimes the don't.

My initial reactions to the draft:

1. Dwayne Haskins - Great value selection. Wasn't the true BPA, but may have been according to the weighted formula and our board. I look at he and Sweat as interchangeable draft position wise. Because Haskins is a QB in a meh QB class, he was going to be gone after 15. So choosing him there made sense. Sweat fell, despite being a top 10 talent. If we look at Haskins as our 26 pick (because that's probably closer to his overall prospect ranking, and 15 is probably closer to Sweat) and Sweat as #15, you really see the value the team grabbed. Haskins has a backup NFL QB floor, in my opinion. Franchise QB ceiling. Good pick.

2. Montez Sweat - I view this guy as the crown jewel of our draft class. NOT Haskins. 4.4 speed, 6-5, 270ish and the production to match. Team captain. The guy is a flat out baller. Floor: NFL starter. Ceiling: Uranus.

3. Terry McLaurin - Team captain. This was the first pick that I questioned BPA on, but I'm not all that familiar with him other than watching a handful of Ohio State games. I didn't notice him when watching Haskins cut ups, but I wasn't paying attention to his receivers much. After watching some videos he seems like an ok prospect, but one of our biggest reaches in my opinion. Floor: Rashad Ross. Ceiling: decent NFL receiver.

4. Bryce Love - Before I talk about Love as a prospect. I wanted to say this: I'm still annoyed that the team let go of Kapri Bibbs. He was the perfect insurance policy to Thompson. As far as Love goes, the guy IS Chris Thompson theoretically. He does the same things. Maybe not as explosive and a bit more durable (aside from the ACL). This was a forward thinking pick in case Thompson leaves, and he's a great fill in if healthy. My biggest knock on this pick is the reliance on injury prone players this team has had, and Love's ACL makes him questionable. However, I don't believe Love is injury prone, but rather just injured. Time will tell. High character, highly intelligent guy. Floor: Wash out. Ceiling: A better/more durable Chris Thompson.

5. Wes Martin - This kid seems like a mauler. A lot of draft sites have him as back up NFL potential. Whether he's that or more, he's a high character work horse guy and he WILL help out line out either now or in the future. I see him compared to Shaun Lauvao, and honestly I see it. Some of our fans may think that's a terrible thing, but I think Lauvao, when healthy, was a major help to our team. Floor: Back-up quality player. Ceiling: More durable Shaun Lavuao (AKA starter).

6. Ross Piersbacher - Might be our top value pick in the draft. Can play guard or center. That also allows Roullier the ability to play both spots. I don't think Ross is a world beater by any means, but like Martin he will help line depth either way. Floor: Line depth. Ceiling: Redskins starter.

7. Cole Holcomb - Not too impressed with him. Floor: Camp cut. Ceiling: 2nd-3rd string ILB.

8. Kelvin Harmon - Another value steal. Kid brings a lot to the table. I like him better than McLaurin. Floor: Cut. Ceiling: starter

9. Jimmy Moreland - Didn't know a ton about him. Liked the video I saw, though. Kid looks like a ballhawk. Floor: Cut. Ceiling: Dunbar-ish.

10. Jordan Brailford - Know nothing about him. No opinion.

16 hours ago, Califan007 said:

You judge the level and amount of talent and potential infused into the roster, the draft capital used to acquire it, the other options each team could have taken instead, how well each team tried addressing needs, whether or not the player and it's potential was worth the pick used on him....etc, etc, yadda yadda. 

There really is concrete stuff you can judge right now about the draft. You just can't judge the on-field results yet. But the thing is, the results don't necessarily negate the judgements and opinions being given now. For example, if the Patriots had taken Brady in the 1st round, the fact that Brady becomes a HOF player doesn't make taking him in the 1st round a good pick, because the picks aren't made in a vacuum. A good GM would know that they are not in danger of losing Brady in the draft if they wait to pick him in a later round, and would use that higher, more valuable pick to add higher, more valuable talent to the roster without missing out on their target. 

I think for a gm it’s more important to not screw up your top picks than to find gems in the later rounds.

So I've been looking at the AVs at PFR of some of the more recent WRs drafted and many of the ones with higher AV have low 40 times (or comparable to Harmon). 

Hopkins - 4.57

Evans - 4.53

Allen - 4.58

Thomas - 4.57

Smith-Schuster - 4.54

The thing is that a lot of them had similar stats to Harmon in college and were picked in similar spots to where Harmon was projected to go. He didn't go there so he has to be judged as a 6th rounder, but is he this year's Tim Settle / Matt Ioannidis / Chase Roullier? 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As hyped as the Redskins draft is -- the same draft geeks who applauded it also don't think much of their chances this season.  so far the highest I've seen the Redskins mocked to is #13 from Standig.

Brugler has them with the #2 pick in 2020.  Easterling:  #3 pick.  Interesting.

Same story last year. A team with a talented front 7 and run game will be in most games, as we proved last year. Will need Haskins/Case/Colt and the passing game to play well enough to expect playoffs. Top 5 is a joke. Nothing to see there.

Im still over the moon about our draft this year, but I'm already looking at WRs and OTs in 2020 mocks. I figured next years WR class has to be better than this years was. I mean honestly has to be WR or OT/OG all the way. I see us investing in our offense unless a ridiculous FS or CB falls to us.

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Im still over the moon about our draft this year, but I'm already looking at WRs and OTs in 2020 mocks. I figured next years WR class has to be better than this years was. I mean honestly has to be WR or OT/OG all the way. I see us investing in our offense unless a ridiculous FS or CB falls to us.

Not gonna be much meat left on the bone at 32 though.

😜

ProFootballFocus

Washington Redskins

Round 1 (15): QB Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State

Round 1 (26): Edge Montez Sweat, Mississippi State

Round 3 (76): WR Terry McLaurin, Ohio State

Round 4 (112): RB Bryce Love, Stanford

Round 4 (131): G Wes Martin, Indiana

Round 5 (153): C Ross Pierschbacher, Alabama

Round 5 (173): LB Cole Holcomb, UNC

Round 6 (206): WR Kelvin Harmon, NC State

Round 7 (227): CB Jimmy Moreland, James Madison

Round 7 (253): Edge Jordan Brailford, Oklahoma State

Day 1: 

While there was speculation that they might have to trade up to get Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins, Washington stayed put at No. 15 and still got their guy. Haskins finished the pre-draft process ranked 10th on the PFF draft board. Drawing striking similarities to Sam Bradford, Haskins was fantastic throwing at the short and intermediate levels in his lone year as a starter at the college level.

“Getting him here at 15 is an absolute steal; one of the steals of the draft. He has a lot of promise.” – Pro Football Focus’ Lead Draft Analyst Mike Renner

Washington’s second pick in the first round, which they traded for by sending the No. 46 overall pick and a 2020 second-rounder to Indianapolis, was not as highly regarded from PFF’s brass. Former Mississippi State edge defender Montez Sweat, the No. 46 overall player on our board, is freakishly athletic but didn’t wow as a pass rusher on film.

Day 2:

Terry Mclaurin’s production doesn’t tell the whole story, as he was just one part of a loaded Ohio State receiving corps. He put on a show with his deep speed and route running at the Senior Bowl and finished as PFF’s No. 68 overall player in the class – nearly 30 spots ahead of his teammate Parris Campbell.

Day 3:

Washington picked up what could be a big steal in the draft in former NC State wide receiver Kelvin Harmon at pick No. 206 on Saturday. Harmon’s production at NC State was off the charts, but there are legitimate concerns as to whether he can separate enough to win in the NFL. He ranked 81st on PFF’s final big board.

DRAFT GRADE: EXCELLENT

Archived