Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things "AOC" Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez & the Squad.

88Comrade2000

12 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

She didn’t say get rid of those agencies. A department like FEMA used to be at a cabinet level but was put under DHS. She is going at the mission of DHS which those agencies follow. And then you have the evil that ICE is doing. 

Her entire point is bringing back our civil liberties which have eroded since 9-11. 

Not arguing, just asking. How is getting rid of DHS going to help in that?

*dont know anything, so ill probably have to explore this more on my own time anyway 

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The Great Recession was massively deflationary.  The deflation just was not captured in government measures of inflation.  The governments' measures of inflation is a model (and therefore not perfect) of the country's inflation.

Home prices and stock prices both fell precipitously (deflation, but not part of the governments measure of inflation) and unemployment went up.

Since then, inflation has happened in a manner that was not captured by the government's measures of inflation (home prices and stocks have gone up) and correspondingly, unemployment has gone down.

That AOC doesn't understand this isn't a huge deal.  That the Fed Chair doesn't seem to understand this is extremely troubling. (I will say seem based on the way he answered AOC's questions.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

Not arguing, just asking. How is getting rid of DHS going to help in that?

*dont know anything, so ill probably have to explore this more on my own time anyway 

I don't think it will.  Even ICE, which lets be honest, is the likely target here, existed prior to DHS, it was part of the old INS.  And while ICE is in the news for some (personal opinion) not particularly good things, they do work on other stuff, including investigating internal threats, human trafficking, etc. that have little to do with deporting people.  

Unless you think things like Customs, ICE, and USCIS belong under the Department of Justice (where they were before DHS) then I don't think eliminating a whole cabinet makes a ton of sense, the cost would be enormous.  Scaling back how aggressive they are at certain functions, I can see that argument.

13 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

She looks better now, but is it going to be at the scale of 25k employees Amazon promised?

a) Amazon didn't promise 25k jobs to New Yorkers. They were going to bring folks from around the country into the city.

b) the article and others since say that a bunch of companies are expanding their footprint in New York, even without subsidies.

New York and Northern Virginia did not need to give tax breaks, etc to Amazon to attract them.  Those are hotbeds for jobs where people want to come anyway.

NY Mag wrote about this back in April:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/the-tech-industry-is-remaking-nyc-even-without-amazon.html

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

She looks better now, but is it going to be at the scale of 25k employees Amazon promised?

Probably not, but it isn't like NYC is having an employment issue.  Given the current situation giving away subsidies for Amazon jobs makes no sense.  All you are going to do is crowd other employers.

For a place like NYC right now, they are better off with more different types of employers (it diversifies the economy).

Having your economy center along one industry, much less one company, tends to cause problems.

(TX has done a lot to diversify their economy beyond oil based on their experiences in the 1980s.)

Edited by PeterMP

6 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I don't remember ever reading about a big company fishing for taxpayer money who actually hired as many jobs as their press releases kinda hinted at. 

• 2 weeks later...

Louisiana police officer posts on Facebook that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez should be shot.

Gretna police officer suggests U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez 'needs a round' in social media post

New Orleans Times-Picayune

A Gretna police officer posted a comment on his Facebook page this past week calling U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez a "vile idiot" who "needs a round, and I don't mean the kind she used to serve."

The comment, which alludes to the freshman Democrat's past work as a New York City bartender while apparently saying she should be shot, comes amid increasing scrutiny of racist and violent social media posts by police officers in departments across the country.

Charlie Rispoli, who has been on the Gretna police force since 2005, could not be reached for comment, but Chief Arthur Lawson called the post "disturbing" when it was shown to him Friday.

Rispoli's comment referred to a fake news story he posted to his personal Facebook page on Thursday at 1:51 p.m. The story's headline attributed a fabricated quote to Ocasio-Cortez saying, "We pay soldiers too much." The photo on the post is marked as "satire" and it had been labeled "false" by the website snopes.com on Wednesday, but Rispoli appeared to be upset by it.

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_a206330a-aa5c-11e9-a2da-e7a8c6248a10.html

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:
Would like to see a Venn diagram of people who watch Fox news and people who search for the term "AOC feet."

O.K., I wasn't curious about her feet. Now I am. Going to search now. I'm hoping those monsters don't sway my opinion of her. I can't stand ugly feet.

Edit: Just checked, they pass the look test, but do they pass the smell test? My goal is now to get close enough to her feet to smell them. This may be more difficult than it seems.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

O.K., I wasn't curious about her feet. Now I am. Going to search now. I'm hoping those monsters don't sway my opinion of her. I can't stand ugly feet.

Edit: Just checked, they pass the look test, but do they pass the smell test? My goal is now to get close enough to her feet to smell them. This may be more difficult than it seems.

Lol. I'm pretty sure all the feet pics are fake but there's a market for them. Probably the same folks who hate her.

• Like 1

If you foot-fetishers can go somewhere else for awhile, I'd like to follow up on the cop who posted that AOC needs to be shot. 

It doesn't look like he'll face much in the form of disciplinary action.  In my mind, any sworn law enforcement officer who posts something like that needs to be a former law enforcement officer.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

If you foot-fetishers can go somewhere else for awhile, I'd like to follow up on the cop who posted that AOC needs to be shot. 

It doesn't look like he'll face much in the form of disciplinary action.  In my mind, any sworn law enforcement officer who posts something like that needs to be a former law enforcement officer.

I looked at the comments.  Looking at where he works, it seems unlikely:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4855611

"Her story confirms elements of a similar account widely circulated on the Internet that happened to a group of 200 evacuees that included people in wheelchairs and babies in strollers. Larry Bradshaw, a paramedic with the San Francisco Fire Department in town for a trade show, told NPR that they, too, had hiked up to the bridge expecting buses only to have an officer from the Gretna Police Department shoot over their heads. Bradshaw said one policeman told the group, `We're not going to have another Superdome down here,' referring to the violence and squalor inside the arena-turned-shelter."

(Yes, they have an excuse that they weren't prepared, but that still sounds really bad.  You have people that have nothing and you've turned them away by shooting over their heads.)

Edited by PeterMP