Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: FBI accuses wealthy parents, including celebrities, in college-entrance bribery scheme

Springfield

On 3/20/2019 at 8:55 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

There are reasons why “poor” is more apt than “stupid” but im too drunk to explain right now. The gist is poverty makes you desperate and naively hopeful and stupidity doesn’t. 

My younger more assholish self agrees with u tho. 

There is some overlap though. Not that poor people are "stupid" to use twa's chosen term, but they are often poorly educated for a variety of reasons. Not understanding the math well enough to break through the human tendency to believe "Hey, I could win this!" can come from a lack of a solid education. 

28 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Lower class people been used to it

For real, that last statement came off tone deaf as **** to me. Although Im sure he didn’t meant it that way. But it’s especially galling after talking about “slumming it” at Hopkins in the sentence before (if I’m reading him right). 

It pisses people off when people who have the privilege to not have to deal with certain things tells others to just “deal with it”. It’s analogous to those telling others to just “get over” slavery, racism, or trauma. 

This is not supposed to be something we just accept and get used to. 

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

There is some overlap though. Not that poor people are "stupid" to use twa's chosen term, but they are often poorly educated for a variety of reasons. Not understanding the math well enough to break through the human tendency to believe "Hey, I could win this!" can come from a lack of a solid education. 

I think it more they accept risk hoping to change the dynamics.

They are not in a much worse place after losing unless they really are stupid about it.

Many people I know that play are not poor but want something different.

I'm rather risk adverse with money and think money(hitting the jackpot) is not the best way to change your life....thus stupid

13 minutes ago, twa said:

I think it more they accept risk hoping to change the dynamics.

They are not in a much worse place after losing unless they really are stupid about it.

Many people I know that play are not poor but want something different.

I'm rather risk adverse with money and think money(hitting the jackpot) is not the best way to change your life....thus stupid

Completely disagree. Many poor people play the lottery daily without understanding that their chances of winning are infinitesimal. They would be better served by investing that money, or at least saving it in the bank.

It isn't just that they view it as a way out of poverty, it is that they fundamentally misunderstand how the game operates. 

9 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

For real, that last statement came off tone deaf as **** to me. Although Im sure he didn’t meant it that way. But it’s especially galling after talking about “slumming it” at Hopkins in the sentence before (if I’m reading him right). 

It pisses people off when people who have the privilege to not have to deal with certain things tells others to just “deal with it”. It’s analogous to those telling others to just “get over” slavery, racism, or trauma. 

This is not supposed to be something we just accept and get used to. 

lower classes as in the 99%.  or even the 99.9%.  i've edited that to make it more clear what i meant. 

slumming it at hopkins is/was very tongue in cheek.

Edited by dchogs
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 8:04 AM, dfitzo53 said:

I said poor is "more apt" than stupid, not that stupid isn't fitting at all. 

15 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

Completely disagree. Many poor people play the lottery daily without understanding that their chances of winning are infinitesimal. They would be better served by investing that money, or at least saving it in the bank.

It isn't just that they view it as a way out of poverty, it is that they fundamentally misunderstand how the game operates. 

Tbf, 86 cents in interest from savings in a year doesn't move the needle much. That's assuming they have any real disposable income to kick over to savings. Additionally, the poor (and middle class) are at a yuge disadvantage when it comes to getting in on most money making investments. The system really isn't made for them to succeed anymore...

Edited by The Evil Genius

5 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

When was it made for non-wealthy people to succeed?

When education costs, health care bills, housing prices, etc. didn't force a lot of people into bankruptcy or major debt their entire adult working life.

Granted, my definition of success isn't the same as yours probably. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

7 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

When was it made for non-wealthy people to succeed?

From about the mid point of the last century, the middle class saw lots of gain. So for about 3 decades, in one country, out of 10 millennia the non-wealthy were doing well. 

Edited by Elessar78
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

When education costs, health care bills, housing prices, etc. didn't force a lot of people into bankruptcy or major debt their entire adult working life.

Granted, my definition of success isn't the same as yours probably. 

I'm just saying take a look at the racial component. Black people were not put in any position to succeed in America except during reconstruction and about 10 years after the Voting Rights Act passed. LatinX people weren't even considered a thing until 1980, iirc. (when they were placed on the census)

The baby boomers got all the perks and then voted to take it away from everyone else. We are talking about a 15-20 year period in American history when everyone had a chance to succeed, and the elite took it all back.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Tbf, 86 cents in interest from savings in a year doesn't move the needle much. That's assuming they have any real disposable income to kick over to savings. Additionally, the poor (and middle class) are at a yuge disadvantage when it comes to getting in on most money making investments. The system really isn't made for them to succeed anymore...

I don't mean interest. 

I mean that if you are struggling, having 730 extra dollars in the bank at the end of the year because you didn't play the lottery every day is a better strategy. 

• Like 4

But did they return the money?

Yale boots student whose parents allegedly paid $1.2 million bribe

Yale University has booted a student whose parents allegedly paid a $1.2 million bribe to get her in — the first expulsion in the nationwide college admissions scandal.

The student was one of two who applied to the elite New Haven school with a bogus, paid-for recommendation from women’s soccer coach Rudy Meredith, Yale said in a statement.

She was the only one who was admitted and who was attending the Ivy League school when charges were brought in the sweeping scam two weeks ago. But her admission has since been rescinded, Yale ty spokesman Tom Conroy confirmed to The Post on Monday.

The identity of the student wasn’t made public. She is identified only as “Yale Applicant 1” in federal court documents.

According to the documents, admitted scheme mastermind William “Rick” Singer created a fake athletic profile for the applicant, describing her as the co-captain of a “prominent club soccer team in southern California.”

In exchange for a promised bribe, Meredith designated the applicant as a woman’s soccer recruit to help her get in, despite knowing she didn’t play competitive soccer, according to the documents.

The applicant’s parents, who are not named in the indictment, sent Singer $1.2 million after their daughter got her admissions letter around Jan. 1, 2018. Singer then sent Meredith $400,000, the complaint states.

Click on the link for the full article

On 3/24/2019 at 1:13 AM, dchogs said:

It is an ugly truth, but it's one that regular folks should get used to.

Sounds like a person that is either too young to know or or been living in a bubble - to think that people don't already know about "Pay To Play".

Regular folks knew this for over a century.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 11:33 AM, BenningRoadSkin said:

I'm just saying take a look at the racial component. Black people were not put in any position to succeed in America except during reconstruction and about 10 years after the Voting Rights Act passed. LatinX people weren't even considered a thing until 1980, iirc. (when they were placed on the census)

And don't you think there is a direct connection between advances made during the 60s/70s and the response of vast numbers of jobs fleeing overseas? The corporate greedocracy might have been content to allow women and POC to have actual jobs, but when that turned into "they want to move up into supervision or even <gasp> management??? **** them, we'll take our ball and go home..........." The messaging under Reagan and continually since has been to divert and distract attention and blame away from decisions made in boardrooms to undercut social progress. Blame Mexicans all you want, I have never seen any of them jack up a factory and paddle it to China. 

The narrative that "it is too expensive to produce goods in America" is a lie and always has been, the underlying truth has been "We can deny jobs and wages to "those" people, and we will...."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1