Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Dude, that's the whole point.  This team is always a middling team.  The Redskins are always selling the fanbase that "THIS IS THE YEAR" and it never is.  Look no further than this board.  

Are you happy being in the middle?  I'm certainly not.  And while Collins is a nice piece, does he put us over the top?

one move regardless of what is was... was not going to put us over the top. Collins is a young talented upgrade to our team. We gotta hit in this year's draft..and grab a few low end pieces. Even then will we be over the top? Probably not...but I will take progress.

5 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Yes HOF QB’s are a dime a dozen. 

I figured your approach was to criticize with no real plan of your own. 

Seattle was able to make a decent run by building a solid team then having Wilson/Okung/Sherman/Wagner/Chancellor on rookie deals. 

Now that they’ve had to sign/release these guys because of $$$ they can’t have the same success. 

Parity 

Well, that settles that.  Throw your hands up, it's all over.

Parity!  Ah, the Skins will never be better than 8-8 cause the league wants them to be!  HoF Qb's aren't a dime a dozen, therefore we're just screwed.  No use in trying.  Parity!

No, my plan would be to unload as many of these contracts as I possibly could, trade for as many draft picks as I could, get as many rookie contracts as I could and let it shake out.  I'd spent a ton of money on scouting and hire someone the opposite of Bruce Allen.  

This is both a huge need.....and crazy expensive. 

If he can stay healthy, productive and continue to grow this game. That's great.

Def a culture move. They def want these Bama guys on defense to take leadership roles in the lockerroom.

At the end of the deal he'll be 31. So, you are getting what should be his best years. Even if years 1 and 2 here are probably going to be pretty bad.

Need to extend Scherff. Need to draft more OL and sign some middle tier guys who have track records of being healthy.

Still need better CBs.

But its a step.

What the hell is a proper rebuild ? Looks like we are well on the way with the D. Lots of young, skilled players with a ton of upside. Especially along the line. 

I would expect more investment along the OL OLB TE in the draft this year and we will just have to see what happens with the QB position.  I think we can get by until next year if we have to and then go nuts ala the RG3 debacle. There is always someone willing to deal with our brand of crazy in that respect. 

Keep in mind that we were in and around the Antonio Brown deal. And let's be honest, Collins was always signing here. Never in doubt.

That makes it pretty obvious that we have some more cash and cap to burn.

If we are shopping Brown and Foster, you would have to think that we'll either get very late round picks for them, or they are the first in line to be cut if we snag another big contract FA. Based on their positions, you would have to guess that Mosley is a serious target.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well, that settles that.  Throw your hands up, it's all over.

Parity!  Ah, the Skins will never be better than 8-8 cause the league wants them to be!  HoF Qb's aren't a dime a dozen, therefore we're just screwed.  No use in trying.  Parity!

No, my plan would be to unload as many of these contracts as I possibly could, trade for as many draft picks as I could, get as many rookie contracts as I could and let it shake out.  I'd spent a ton of money on scouting and hire someone the opposite of Bruce Allen.  

So young talent to build on?  I’ll agree with that. 

Collins

R Foster

Payne

Allen

Ion

Scherff

Moses

Roullier

Guice

Add Mosley and you have a solid foundation of 26 and under players, and I think Payne turned 21 last season. 

So your argument would be to get to get rid of all these players and start over?

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Out of curiosity, is anyone gonna wait until the specific details of the contract come out before rolling their eyes and criticizing the move?...Because far, far more times than not, the details end up breaking in the Skins' favor.

Hoffman on the radio is saying he was told the terms are correct except the guaranteed money -- some of that guaranteed is apparently not fully guaranteed.  So I gather some of the figure is guaranteed for injury. 

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Out of curiosity, is anyone gonna wait until the specific details of the contract come out before rolling their eyes and criticizing the move?...Because far, far more times than not, the details end up breaking in the Skins' favor.

I will be in a minority here but $45M guaranteed over 3 years is a lot to pay a safety who is good but not great in coverage. Good player, glad he is a Redskin but not sure that contract represents good value.

Edit. Sounds like the $45M might not be all guaranteed. Which would make a LOT more sense to me. 

Just now, MartinC said:

I will be in a minority here but $45M guaranteed over 3 years is a lot to pay a safety who is good but not great in coverage. Good player, glad he is a Redskin but not sure that contract represents good value.

See post above yours

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hoffman on the radio is saying he was told the terms are correct except the guaranteed money -- some of that guaranteed is apparently not fully guaranteed.  So I gather some of the figure is guaranteed for injury. 

I don't think any details have been made public, though...$84M/6yrs and $45M guaranteed barely tells us anything.

Just now, Califan007 said:

What is it, 45 mil through the first three years...that could be a 20 mil signing bonus, with minimual base salary in 2019. Cap hit between 6-8mil this year.

The overall deal is what I expect us to give Scherff. Just what Zak Martin got, 6/84 I believe, first year cap hit was in the range noted above.

15 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

it's just that I think the Skins are 52 players away from being a contender.

And obviously he only two players really worth it are:

Tress Way

Dustin Hopkins.

Honorable mention:

Nick Sundberg - but that off the street guy maried to an olympic gold medalist of I-don-t-remember-what did pretty OK for way cheaper, so there's still a chance we cut Sundberg after signing Collins.

We had what? 18M of cap space and we're spending 14M out of it on a SS?

Time to cut guys left and right.

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

And obviously he only two players really worth it are:

Tress Way

Dustin Hopkins.

Honorable mention:

Nick Sundberg - but that off the street guy maried to an olympic gold medalist of I-don-t-remember-what did pretty OK for way cheaper, so there's still a chance we cut Sundberg after signing Collins.

We had what? 18M of cap space and we're spending 14M out of it on a SS?

Time to cut guys left and right.

The guys they’ll cut will be only offensive weapons this team has, everyone will call Keenum, Colt, etc “Captain Checkdown” while not realizing that CT is the only weapon the passing game has

20 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Dude, that's the whole point.  This team is always a middling team.  The Redskins are always selling the fanbase that "THIS IS THE YEAR" and it never is.  Look no further than this board.  

Are you happy being in the middle?  I'm certainly not.  And while Collins is a nice piece, does he put us over the top?

The problem is, there is no one right way to build a winning team.

Some teams do it with superstar qb's. Those guys are hard to find though.

Some do it with stifling defenses and decent qb's

some teams do it with running games that pound you into submission.

Obviously a HOF qb makes it easier to win, but they're not exactly easy to find. Even mortgaging everything to go up and get one gives you no guarantees (see RG3).

We've got a bunch of really good pieces on the defensive side of the ball and OL. You want to jettison all of that for a qb and then rebuild all that stuff all over again?

Or you want to give up future Jon Allens and Brandon Scherffs in hopes of getting one?

That's not realistic at all.

This team is far better than the guys we trotted out like Stephen Paea, Terrell McClain, Terell Pryor, Kendall Reyes and their ilk of just a few short seasons ago.

We've got a lot of good young guys on this team, you almost have to keep plugging along and adding what fits along the way and hope you can find the formula for sustained winning.

You don't need Tom Brady to win games. SB qb's can be found anywhere in the draft and FA (R Wilson, Rodgers, Rypien, Warner, Brees, Brady,Theismann, Staubach, Montana) etc. None of those guys were "tank the season and rebuild the right way" guys.. but they all won SB's.

Game winning/playoff qb's are the same story, Prescott, Cousins, Mahomes, Watson, and many more. Those guys weren't "mortgage the future" 1st or 2nd overall qb's, and they all took their teams to the playoffs.

In defense of the Collins move, the Redskins are a team loaded with B and C level talent.  They have very few stars who are arguably best at their position. Kerrigan is very good, but is he great? Jonathan Allen is very good, but is he great? Williams was great. Is he still? Peterson was great. Is he still? Tress Way can be very good, but is he great? Etc.

Collins has the potential to be a great strong safety and it really isn't a bad thing to dramatically increase the talent level at any position. Is it a major upgrade? I dunno. For long stretches last year, Swearinger was borderline great, but we (stupidly) cut him.

That said, once long ago, I wrote a long post about how drafting Laron Landry was like getting excited about pastry. Safety typically has the least impact on the game. So, is getting a great strong safety a great move? I think the answer in part is whether Allen, Payne, Ionadis, and Settle can form a great unit. If they do then Collins greatness can be exploited. If they can't then eventually every coverage breaks down and every running back gets a lane.

Still, the Redskins have quite a few good players and getting a potentially great one isn't a bad thing.

Archived