Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA Governor Ralph Northam Got Some Explaining to Do

Bozo the kKklown

Soul Man was pretty damn questionable even at the time.

Roger Ebert gave it a terrible rating, though he was more on board with the concept that a lot of critics.

Although the premise of "Soul Man" has been greeted with widespread derision, it actually has a lot of potential - even if it has been made into a lame-brained movie. The film's hero is a UCLA graduate who poses as a black in order to qualify for a scholarship to Harvard Law School, and the movie follows him through his first semester, as he spars with a black professor, falls in love with a black woman and experiences racism.

This is a genuinely interesting idea, filled with dramatic possibilities, but the movie approaches it on the level of a dim-witted sit-com. Thoughtful scenes are followed by slapstick, emotional moments lead right into farce, and the movie doesn't have an ounce of true moral courage; it sidesteps every single big issue that it raises.

I hate this idea that everyone was really dumb and then we all woke up at Lollapalooza in 1993. People knew that Soul Man was a dangerous idea that was executed badly. They knew that Amos and Andy should be buried and forgotten.

This is not to say that every 'black face" moment is bad. That Trading Places scene is largely saved by the fact that the movie had become a total cartoon at that point. The better version of that joke is Gene Wilder in.....****.....whatever that movie was, because again, he knew how stupid the idea was but is encouraged by Richard Pryor. So, yes, in general, you can sometimes do blackface as comedy if prime Eddie Murphy or Richard Pryor is standing next to you and you acknowledge how insane this concept is.

But if you're going to a college Halloween party in blackface, you're a racist. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.00.

^^^ ha! i've been posting the garrett morris "shotgun" clip in the tailgate for over a decade

glad to see someone else finally do it :ols:

classic skit

i also have sung the line, randomly, whenever/wherever, since that skit debuted

words to live by :P

Justin Fairfax in particular needs to resign ASAP. Having worked in public policy over the past year and being in the political environment, I have heard enough from my female colleagues and even seen some grimey ****. It’s such a ****ty environment that I’m headed back to academia soon. 

I have no reason to doubt the professor accusing him.

4 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

All three, Northam, Fairfax and Herring need to resign. Doesn’t matter if the GOP gets the governorship. 

Virginia will get a do-over in 2021 and maybe this time the VA Dems will vet their candidates better. 

Dont districts get redrawn following the 2020 census?   Would the three of them resigning allow the republicans to gerrymander things in their favor?

Is that’s a yes, you could see the state go red and never come back.

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Justin Fairfax in particular needs to resign ASAP. Having worked in public policy over the past year and being in the political environment, I have heard enough from my female colleagues and even seen some grimey ****. It’s such a ****ty environment that I’m headed back to academia soon. 

Did this come out during the election at all?  I think we need a full fledged law enforcement investigation into the matter.  I assume Boston police would have jurisdiction?

5 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I agree with this. 

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

On the other hand, voters will not be kind to Democrats if they let the three of them continue to be in power. I don’t think VA is as blue as we think it is despite recent elections. 

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Dont districts get redrawn following the 2020 census?   Would the three of them resigning allow the republicans to gerrymander things in their favor?

Yeah simulateous resignations would be dumb. But Northam gets to appoint someone to Lt Gov or AG in the case of vacancies. So Fairfax resigns, Northam appoints whoever (Periello?), and then Northam resigns. 

10 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

All three, Northam, Fairfax and Herring need to resign. Doesn’t matter if the GOP gets the governorship

There's ways to avoid it. 

Northan resigns. Fairfax becomes Guv. (Blazing Saddles reference). 

Fairfax appoints a (well screened) LG. 

After LG is confirmed, Fairfax resigns. 

5 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Heard about Justin Fairfax or about sexual harrasement in Virginia politics in general?  I'd say the situation needs people like you, I'd be sad to see you leave because none of these f***ers has resigned yet.  The purging of sexual harrasement and racism is going to take a while.

31 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I write all of that to say that I don't think using some 1980s movies as examples makes what some of the politicians did OK. 

It doesn’t make it OK.  It’s still regrettable behavior and something to be apologized for and maybe, gasp, forgiven.

But...those examples do completely upend the notion that blackface, within the context of parties or fraternities or popular culture, was considered scandalous by mainstream America in the 70s/80s...because it wasn’t.  

Controversial?  Absolutely...but that was part of the appeal, I suppose.

2 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

On the other hand, voters will not be kind to Democrats if they let the three of them continue to be in power. I don’t think VA is as blue as we think it is despite recent elections. 

I doubt they’d lose any of the base over it.  Unless the Republican Party suddenly starts shifting the other way (they won’t).

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It doesn’t make it OK.  It’s still regrettable behavior and something to be apologized for and maybe, gasp, forgiven.

But...those examples do completely upend the notion that blackface, within the context of parties or fraternities or popular culture, was considered scandalous by mainstream America in the 70s/80s...because it wasn’t.  

Controversial?  Absolutely...but that was part of the appeal, I suppose.

But again...isn't there a difference between this: 

event-featured-Cincy-Fringe-1523992719-4

and this: 

tropic-thunder-robert-downey-jr.jpg

I don't know why...but to me (admittedly as a white guy), they seem completely different in context. 

26 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

^^^ ha! i've been posting the garrett morris "shotgun" clip in the tailgate for over a decade

glad to see someone else finally do it :ols:

classic skit

i also have sung the line, randomly, whenever/wherever, since that skit debuted

words to live by :P

When I was a kid working tobacco most of my coworkers were migrant farm workers from Jamaica. 

They loved singing when they work and one day they started singing, "kill de white people"

And this was clearly a song they had well memorized. 

I didn't feel threatened at all though you could tell it wasn't something they wanted to actually try to pull off.

In my best accent I started singing don't kill all de white people.

We actually had some pretty good laughs.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/06/virginia-governor-northam-fairfax-herring-1152310

The succession process for the lieutenant governorship gets complicated. If Fairfax either becomes governor or resigns, he will vacate his current office and the state Senate president pro tem, Republican Steve Newman, would be empowered to “discharge the duties” of the lieutenant governorship, said John Dinan, a Wake Forest professor and expert on state constitutions.

That arrangement would likely be short-lived, because the governor has “constitutional authority to fill the vacancy in the office of lieutenant governor,” said A.E. Dick Howard, a law professor at the University of Virginia who led the drafting of Virginia’s current state constitution in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

However, the appointment would only last for a few months, Howard and Dinan said.

Under Virginia law, an election to fill the remainder of Fairfax’s original term as lieutenant governor would be held this November, when every state legislative seat in Virginia will also be up in the regular 2019 elections. Then, there would be a regularly scheduled election for a full four-year lieutenant governor term in 2021.

So if Fairfax resigns, the GOP leader in the Senate takes over until the Governor appoints the next Lt Gov, but that would only last until the next election, so VA would elect a new (2 year term) Lt Governor in November.

2 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

How did the Virginia GOP lose to these clowns?

A significant portion of the state likes Corey Stewart like candidates

the guy that, if you aren’t aware, ran a “I’m just like trump” campaign. 

14 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

But again...isn't there a difference between this: 

and this: 

I don't know why...but to me (admittedly as a white guy), they seem completely different in context. 

Yeah.  One was in the 1920s and fit the popular culture of that time and one was in the 2000s and fit that era’s cultural norms.

Archived