Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To be a man

LD0506

12 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Still has that chromosome.  99.9%. of the way there, though.  

I still can't believe the outrage this is sparking.  More than anything today, I just hate the outrage culture that we have going on.  It's a ****ing commercial, it's a brand trying to get people to remember that they exist and to buy their products.  I wonder how people deal with stuff in their lives that REALLY matters.  

I didn't actually see the commercial until last night.  Now that I have seen it, I don't get the outrage (even if we are in an outrage culture).  What I took away was reminding men to do the right thing.  It wasn't saying all men don't do the right thing or that women are less capable.  But if there is one thing for sure that the #MeToo movement has shown us, it's that there are a lot of men that don't do the right thing.  I would think the #MeToo movement would applaude a commercial like that.  I'm curious to hear @LadySkinsFan opinion on the commercial itself.

Man, did you guys see that Gilette commercial?

I'm so ****ing PISSED

Asked me to cut my balls off...you know, basically

Why does everyone have to virtue signal and ****

Telling me I have to care about women and children

I care a lot about women, if you know what I mean

In a boner sense

Alright I gotta hit the gym, catch you bois later

I'm putting this here:

https://deadspin.com/woman-who-coaches-mens-soccer-team-responds-to-sexist-q-1831818018

Another person asked her whether she might wear a siren on her head so that, before she entered the locker room, the players would know to put some pants on. Wübbenhorst’s response was perfect: “Of course not. I am a pro. I pick [my team] on dick length.”

It's a commercial with a social message. What the media puts out, shapes our society. I do not understand the outrage. No different then the Coca-Cola or Budweiser commercials. 

Oh, and just so you guys know.....we don't insist on riding horses and frolicking thru fields during that time of the month....even if all the commercials say so. 

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.

This seems to be one of those issues where people seem to be watching the same thing yet having two completely different interpretations of what they are seeing. I see the divide comes from several places. one is where we get our information. Right websites have been highlighting and talking about stories about the left criticizing men, toxic masculinity, etc. so this is the filter through which a large part of the public is looking at this ad. With that lens, it will look like another man hating piece, so you’ll hate it. You’re also making assumptions about the motives of the ad based on this perspective, not unlike a dogwhistle.  On the left, you’re more likely to just see an ad that is saying ‘do better’, and what could be bad about that?

The reaction is also part defense mechanism. If there was an ad saying whatever group you belong to or identify with needs to do better, the instinct is to push back.  Some criticism seems fair- and ad telling any identity group other than ‘men’ to do better and careers are over.  

Still, much of the ad is not disagreeable- most people would agree that most of the behaviors are in need of changing. And there are a few portrayed that are a bit more nuanced- kids wrestling, are they playing or fighting? A man approaching a woman he is attracted to – is that always bad?  There’s a little more nuance there the commercial seems to be allowing for. 

18 hours ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Oh, and just so you guys know.....we don't insist on riding horses and frolicking thru fields during that time of the month....even if all the commercials say so. 

And most of us don't feel like playing tennis or going to ****in spin class, either. :silly:

36 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

And most of us don't feel like playing tennis or going to ****in spin class, either. :silly:

Well you’ve had a hard day. Here, have a seat let me make you a sandwich.Well you’ve had a hard day. Here, have a seat let me make you a sandwich.

Groups are largely defined by the challenges they face and the fact that people struggle to define masculinity speaks of how little discussion takes place about what those struggles are for men.  I believe there are two main reasons for that.  Men are taught to man up and muscle through hardship without talking it out.  Men are also mocked and their problems dismissed when they do.  After all, men have it easy so men shouldn't complain, right?

I think a real problem is that men in general don't trust that those claiming to want to help men, are actually looking to help men.  Look a little closer at all such messages and they quickly become a goal of helping other groups by "helping" men understand why men are horrible.  That's never going to work, and this is true no matter how you may feel about it.  Trust just can't be built this way.

Approaching the problem from a perspective primarily focused on helping men exclusively runs the risk of being accused of sexism or mocked as male rights activists.  Let's be clear, men do not lack rights and have no need of rights activists.  Let's also be clear, men have problems of their own that any credible attempt to actually help men needs to put unapologetically at the forefront.  Some examples: Boys are falling behind scholastically and have been for a long time.  Men are far more likely to die violently, be violent, end up in prison, and commit suicide.  Whatever success males, as a group, may have does nothing to erase any of those problems for the individuals struggling with them. 

If a group wants to help men, than do exactly what any group that has successfully helped a specific demographic does.  Get men talking in a place where it's safe for them to do so, listen to them, believe them, and build a plan to help them from there.  Anything less will fail.  

edit:  I forget to mention anything on the commercial that everyone is talking about.  I like the commercial and can't really see why anyone is mad about it.  I'd like Gillette more if they lowered the price of their excellent razors though.  I love them, but I'm also cheap, and I hate feeling conflicted at the supermarket.      

1 hour ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Out of curiosity. Does anyone actually know anyone truly upset and protesting? I feel like we are being told "the masses are outraged"....but I see no one. Just a thought.

Actually? Yeah, we know a couple IRL that have been in a tizzy for the last few days but they were well known assholes so no one is too surprised

1 hour ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Out of curiosity. Does anyone actually know anyone truly upset and protesting? I feel like we are being told "the masses are outraged"....but I see no one. Just a thought.

I can't imagine any of my friends saying "I saw a commercial the other day that really made me upset."  It's not just because my friends wouldn't feel that way, but also because we're all assholes that would immediately make mean spirited jokes.  Being terrible towards each other is how we express our friendship. 

2 hours ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Mainstream right wing media:

https://reason.com/blog/2019/01/15/gillette-ad-toxic-masculinity-men-me-too 

If it wasn’t for this thread, I wouldn’t even know this ad was a thing.

11 hours ago, Destino said:

Being terrible towards each other is how we express our friendship. 

I've never understood the compulsion for this kind of behavior from certain guys. There are better ways for me to amuse myself and others and demonstrate friendship than by picking on other people. Plus, it's that kind of **** that programs men to keep from expressing their vulnerabilities and getting help or support. It creates an emotional history/feedback loop whereby showing vulnerability equates to being mocked and called some version of weak. 

12 hours ago, Destino said:

I can't imagine any of my friends saying "I saw a commercial the other day that really made me upset."  It's not just because my friends wouldn't feel that way, but also because we're all assholes that would immediately make mean spirited jokes.  Being terrible towards each other is how we express our friendship. 

A buddy of mine said it was stupid and incorrect... that he disagreed with it but I'd be willing to bet he lost ZERO sleep over it. 

Archived